Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Shellac Manicure Question

So I currently have a shellac manicure and it's got about 2 more weeks on it. I've had one before but not sure if I removed it correctly. I picked it off haha. Should I have a nail place remove it or if it starts wearing and peeling can I just peel it off like I did my last one? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Re: Shellac Manicure Question

• Go to the nail place and have the others removed (or the one you peeled off redone). You'll ruin your nails if you continue to pick, as it depletes the moisture in the nail and will leave them very dry, brittle and easily cracked for good 2 mos. 
  • Yes, don't pick it off, you will ruin your nail beds. I am a nail tech so I know you can also take it off at home using acetone nail policy removed. Soak a cotton ball in it then place it on your nail. Wrap tin foil around your nail so the cotton ball doesnt move and aft a bit of time the shellac should peel right off. However, nail salons shouldnt charge you to remove it if your getting it re-done!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Yeah my nails definitely felt weak after picking my last one off haha. Thanks!
  • Ditto on the acetone remove, cottonball and tin foil method.  You will need to leave it on for 10 15 minutes each hand. Soak the cottonballs generously.  Do one hand at a time and soak them as long as you can.  You can use an orange stick to gently brush off the parts that dislodge. 
  • I also picked off my first shellac manicure and I'm quite sure that a very, very thin layer of my nail was picked off with it! My nails were thin and weak for a few weeks. You can remove the shellac at home with acetone nail polish. I was told that you have to scratch the top of the manicure with an emery board for this to be effective, but I don't know how true that is. Regardless, be prepared to soak your nails in acetone for a looong time. An alternative to this is the shellac polish removing glove. It's basically the same thing but without all the hassle of cotton balls and tin foil. You can find them super cheap on Amazon.

I LOVE shellac, but it really can be a hassle.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_shellac-manicure-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:813b534f-b61e-4867-a401-835ebd2b8654Post:497d1f5c-951a-490d-a243-0c0bc4b89353">Re: Shellac Manicure Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also picked off my first shellac manicure and I'm quite sure that a very, very thin layer of my nail was picked off with it! My nails were thin and weak for a few weeks. You can remove the shellac at home with acetone nail polish. I was told that you have to scratch the top of the manicure with an emery board for this to be effective, but I don't know how true that is. Regardless, be prepared to soak your nails in acetone for a looong time. An alternative to this is the shellac polish removing glove. It's basically the same thing but without all the hassle of cotton balls and tin foil. You can find them super cheap on Amazon. <strong>I LOVE shellac, but it really can be a hassle.</strong>
    Posted by emilou02[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. It helped me keep my nails growing because I didn't pick them and whatnot. I'm really happy with the length finally!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards