Wedding Party

Wedding Host/Hostess

Reading so much lately about personal attendants and hostesses, I decided to look this up.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6397954_duties-hostess-reception.html

My jaw was pretty much on the floor the whole time I read this. I just about lost consciouslness when I saw that the "resource" for this article was none other than The Knot.

Who started this madness? These poor "guests" can't even enjoy the ceremony, much less the reception. If you need a wedding coordinator that badly, why not budget for it rather than turning your GUEST into a servant?

Re: Wedding Host/Hostess

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-hosthostess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:736e018b-d509-4cb4-b3ee-01dcf9dc25fbPost:1a249a8d-2555-4153-a581-ec04bd8efe7b">Wedding Host/Hostess</a>:
    [QUOTE]Reading so much lately about personal attendants and hostesses, I decided to look this up. <a href="http://www.ehow.com/list_6397954_duties-hostess-reception.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.ehow.com/list_6397954_duties-hostess-reception.html</a> My jaw was pretty much on the floor the whole time I read this. I just about lost consciouslness when I saw that the "resource" for this article was none other than The Knot. Who started this madness? These poor "guests" can't even enjoy the ceremony, much less the reception. If you need a wedding coordinator that badly, why not budget for it rather than turning your GUEST into a servant?
    Posted by Blue_Bird[/QUOTE]

Wow. Ick.
  • Yikes...  This is actually a position my venue provides for all weddings.  They stand out near the entrance of the lobby where the assigned seating cards are and the guestbook welcoming people directing them to get their place card, etc.  I would be horrified to ask someone to do such a thing.  It's a JOB.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-hosthostess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:736e018b-d509-4cb4-b3ee-01dcf9dc25fbPost:1899ce91-f22f-4fe8-bfa8-ce539f25fb8b">Re: Wedding Host/Hostess</a>:
    [QUOTE]The staff at our venue did those things. We paid them and they weren't guests. I don't understand asking a guest to do these things.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Oh, I understand it perfectly. It's called being CHEAP and having absolutely no home training.
  • Sorry to resurrect an old post, but this weekend my mom asked me who I chose to be my host and hostess. I replied, probably in a nasty tone, "Well I figured FI and I are host and hostess since we are paying and, um, you know, hosting the party." She was taken aback that I didn't want to have them, even though she couldn't really give me a good explanation of that they do.

Glad to know that my planner can take care of these duties :)

• jahMNjahMN member
    First Comment
    I agree-- the description of this role seems very antiquated. Where we live (MN) it's often the role of godparents. There aren't anymore expectations than greeting guests, answering questions, telling guests when it's time to be seated for the meal, and just being another set of eyes.
  • Where I'm from, this is entirely normal and people are typically honored to be asked.  They enjoy the ceremony and reception just like any other guest, but they help to facilitate the introductions of people who would likely be interested in meeting one another (his aunt & her aunt, for example).  Hosts often share their phone number with out-of-town guests who might have day-of questions (i.e. Where can we buy baby tylenol?) so that bride and groom can enjoy their day.

It's entirely different than the wedding coordinator role.  My wedding coordinator certainly doesn't know my parents' colleagues or my out-of-town aunts and uncles, but our long-time family friends who are "hosts" do.  I know our hosts are really excited to be involved in this way!
  • @scribe95 - kind of a zombie, your call.
    *********************************************************************************

• laurwilk said:
    Where I'm from, this is entirely normal and people are typically honored to be asked.  They enjoy the ceremony and reception just like any other guest, but they help to facilitate the introductions of people who would likely be interested in meeting one another (his aunt & her aunt, for example).  Hosts often share their phone number with out-of-town guests who might have day-of questions (i.e. Where can we buy baby tylenol?) so that bride and groom can enjoy their day.

It's entirely different than the wedding coordinator role.  My wedding coordinator certainly doesn't know my parents' colleagues or my out-of-town aunts and uncles, but our long-time family friends who are "hosts" do.  I know our hosts are really excited to be involved in this way!
    first, this post is REALLY old. Typically you should create your own thread if you want to talk about something, instead of resurrecting a "zombie thread".  @scribe95 will close this thread for us, most likely

second, post a sign that says "Walgreens", on a chalkboard, if you most.  

They may say they are excited/honored, but nobody wants to "work" at a wedding, if they are also a guest.  Don't make your friends and family do "jobs" that would otherwise require payment.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards