Registry and Gift Forum

Cookware - set or separates?

We like the Analon Nouvelle (sp?) brand, but the set cost $500. They have most of the pieces as separates, but I added it up and the set is way cheaper total. I know people might go in together to get a set, but I still feel akward about having something that expensive on the registery. Would you do this as a set or separates?

Re: Cookware - set or separates?

• This is really a "know your crowd" situation.  I registered for all of my pieces separate and got them all, so I tend to recommend that.  This is because my guests were more likely to spend $100~ on a pan than to pool and buy the big set.  Another option is to register for them separate, return them all and then buy the set at the cheaper cost.  

Also think heavily about if you want all the pieces in the set or if there are other individual pieces you'd like.  In our case, there were 2-3 pans we didn't want that came with the set, but there were things like a wok that we did want that weren't included. 

• edited May 2012
    I had the exact same issue when i did my resitries about a few months ago. I even had the same pot brand as you! (how weird)... anyway, i added both the set and a few separates. No one got the set and 1 person got me a frying pan (about $79). I did, though, get about $600 in Macys gift cards so I was able to get the pot set and a couple of extras afterall.

Put as many things as you can on your registry... you never know what people are going to get or what a group of people will chip in together to buy. Eventually i got the vast majority of my gifts and the rest i will buy with the gift cards i received.

HOPE THIS HELPED :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Does the store where you're registered give you a discount on everything in the store or just the remaining items on your registry?  We're registered for AllClad, which is really expensive, so we're registered for individual pieces.  If we get a lot of gift cards and not all the pieces, we're planning on returning any single pans and buying the set.  With that said, if your store only gives you a discount on your registry items, I would register for at least the set.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cookware-set-or-separates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3767c8d2-66ed-49b0-8023-01c1101c6ee9Post:7e15742e-346b-4e9d-8101-b733968ff9aa">Re: Cookware - set or separates?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does the store where you're registered give you a discount on everything in the store or just the remaining items on your registry?  We're registered for AllClad, which is really expensive, so we're registered for individual pieces.  If we get a lot of gift cards and not all the pieces, we're planning on returning any single pans and buying the set.  With that said, if your store only gives you a discount on your registry items, I would register for at least the set.
    Posted by egm900[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Some stores (like Macy's) only do discounts on things that appear on your registry.  If you are at a store like that, I recommend putting both the set and individual pieces on your registry so you can get a discount on anything left over that you might decide you want.  If the store you are registering at does a discount across the board whether the items are on your registry or not (like WS), I'd just do the individual pieces and then return them to use the discount on the set, if there is a set that makes sense for the pieces you want.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Really good point! I liked that idea of doing separates and returning for the set, but it's Macy's and so the set must be on there to get the rewards on it. So I guess I will put both on, even though that might look a little odd...
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cookware-set-or-separates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3767c8d2-66ed-49b0-8023-01c1101c6ee9Post:4629fffa-09a4-4608-9fa9-98c9dfc7ec87">Re: Cookware - set or separates?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really good point! I liked that idea of doing separates and returning for the set, but it's Macy's and so the set must be on there to get the rewards on it. So I guess I will put both on, even though that might look a little odd...
    Posted by wowand135[/QUOTE]

<div>Most people who have gotten married or know someone well that has gotten married recently know the registry "games" that stores play.  There is also the "if you put this item or brand on your registry we will give you this item for free" game that results in people registering for $5000 knife sets (the give away being that the knife set is approximately 10 times more than any other item appearing on their registry).  </div><div>
    </div><div>Don't over think your registry, as long as you want it and are not being greedy, it's okay.  In this case, it's not like you don't have a legit reason for putting both on there, thinking of guests' budgets (individual pieces) as well as what makes the most sense to you (the set).  The registry is a guide for guests, they don't have to buy you anything, much less something on the registry.</div>
  • it really depends sometimes it is cheapers to get it in a set and sometimes it is cheaper to do it in  seperates it all depends on the brand. for instance if you want calphlon it is cheaper to get it in a set cause the seperates are really expensive. but if you go with cheaper brands then you can get seperates.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We originally registered for sets but changed it to separates, because we felt that there was a higher likelihood of 4 or 5 guests each buying a $75-$100 piece than of one person buying a $500 set, or of a group of friends going in together. We also decided we would rather get one or two of the pieces and complete the set on our own later than not get any of it at all.

It really depends on your particular circumstances, though. If you're inviting a bunch of people who know each other and would be likely to go in together on a more expensive gift to get you a set, that's great. For us, that wasn't really the case, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards