New Jersey
Options

bridesmaids hair & makeup

I emailed my bridesmaids to see if they were interested in getting their hair and makeup done by the people that are coming to do my hair and makeup since some stylists require a minimum.  One of my bridesmaids told me that she was planning on getting her hair and makeup done by the people that she normally goes to.  Since she lives about an hour away and is coming to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, she is going to stay with me the night before the wedding.  She told me that she is going to get her hair and makeup done the day before and sleep sitting up to not ruin her hair and just touch it up her makeup the next day. 

When she told me this, I was shocked.  My question... is this normal?  Do a lot of people do this and I was never clued in? 
Anniversary

Re: bridesmaids hair & makeup

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is the craziest thing I have heard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO.... of my gosh Gina!!!!!! I have definitely never heard of that, but certainly good luck to her!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard this!  I guess she doesn't realize how harmful not washing her face before she goes to bed is. 
    Maybe if you talk her into it?  You can tell her how fun it could be that all the girls would be getting done up together (although I can't understand her logic at all-how can she expect her makeup to hold up?) and that people will be taking pics and all.....GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is ridiculous!  I would tell her kindly that you would prefer her not to get it done the night before just because you're worried that it may get messed up and no one will be able to help her fix it.

Who the F sleeps sitting up in a chair?!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm seriously hysterically laughing at my desk right now. Is this girl for real?????? That sounds psychotic!
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok... I thought so! I totally didn't want to overreact but this just seemed beyond crazy.  I finally convinced her to get her hair done with us but she is still thinking about what to do about her makeup.  I didn't want to be bridezilla and say no way but I never said that they HAD to get their hair and makeup done.  I would much rather her do her own hair and makeup than have it done the day before.  I did mention that my skin is way to sensitive to do something like that.  She has apparently done this before. 

Heather- this is the married BM that I was telling you about... lol.   
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really funny!

Maybe you can suggest her bringing her own makeup for your makeup person to use or bring a picture of herself with her makeup done for your makeup person to try to copy.

Her makeup isn't going to look nearly as fresh as yours or the other girls. I can't imagine the bags under my eyes after sitting in a chair all night.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Remind her that her makeup won't stay on overnight & it'll more than likely be a gross/greasy mess.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is the craziest thing ever! I can't even believe it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many years ago I had to go to a wedding in the morning and would have had no time to get my hair done before (I was only a guest, not a bridesmaid) and I did get an updo the night before (a bunch of curls bobbypinned up, nothing was down or loose). I made sure I slept on my stomach and only let my face touch the pillow...LOL But when I woke up it looked just like it did the night before since there were so many bobby pins and the hair couldn't move around even if it wanted to.

Getting my make-up done the day before....that is something I would never even consider. That will def. not hold up, it's going to wipe off onto the pillow or melt off from the oils/sweat your skin produces during sleeping....that's just ridiculous.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So she's not going to *shower* for your wedding? Um... ick.

But that is an awesome, awesome story =)
  • Options
    michelle221michelle221 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She's going to be one tired bridesmaid at the wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is ridiculous! I would never one want to sleep in makeup and two sleep sitting up in a chair. Who does that?! I agree with PPs that you should talk to her about why she thinks this is the best route to go down. Make other suggestions where possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_bridesmaids-hair-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:fe9a0216-e0a3-4915-8127-6602c93ce955Post:520dd8d4-5a82-4a1a-8a90-a9b21c4af7f3">Re: bridesmaids hair & makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Remind her that her makeup won't stay on overnight & it'll more than likely be a gross/greasy mess.  
    Posted by rosierose914[/QUOTE]

This, plus what happens when she takes a shower, or when she brushes her teeth?
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The hair I could MAYBE understand but the makeup just seems like a recipe for disaster.  The first thing that ran through my head when she said this was the part from Memoirs of a Geisha where the main character describes how geishas sleep on those support things so they don't mess up their hair. 

I seriously don't understand how she plans to wash her face in the morning without messing up her makeup.  I almost fell off my chair when she said "it's MAC makeup, it's meant to last a week."
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can understand putting rollers in your hair and sleeping in them, my grandmother does that. But not a full blown updo and makeup.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LMFAO.  Sounds like my MIL who wants to drive all the way back home the day of the wedding and then back intime to make the ceremony.  LOL
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait, she is joking.  She has to be joking.  If not, it's completely ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_bridesmaids-hair-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:fe9a0216-e0a3-4915-8127-6602c93ce955Post:fa24ede8-2c7e-45f3-a6f0-273c5fadfbd8">Re: bridesmaids hair & makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]So she's not going to *shower* for your wedding? Um... ick.
    Posted by Just Jen[/QUOTE]

This. Unless she has some ingenious way to shower, too?

But seriously, thanks for the laugh...people never cease to amaze me!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are correct in being shocked.

That is an amazing story though. 
  • Options
    teacup0618teacup0618 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh, that is the MOST ridiculous thing i ever heard! I am litteraly LOL. Thats crazy! I hope she's not being serious. Talk some sense into this girl. Her hair is going to have fly-aways and her face is going to be a greasy mess. I would rather her shower the morning of, do her own make-up and wear her hair down! At least that way she will be able to get some sleep the night before. WOW!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hahaha. I would never trust my hair/makeup to stay in place overnight. HOWEVER- the day after our wedding I just rinsed my body off and my hair/makeup had stayed from the day before. My makeup still looked flawless, the hair- not so much so I threw that up. We were having a BBQ at my mom's and we got up late so we were rushed. But honestly, the makeup thing wouldn't phase me as much as the hair. Seriously the whole next day (after getting my hair done at noon on the wedding and dancing all night) looked as fresh as it did the day of.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW! I really hope she's joking because if not that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Insane!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this made me chuckle!

I'd rather have a BM who did her own make up the day of the wedding than one who looks like a hot mess from the night before.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was having a pretty crappy morning, but that story just made me smile because of the complete insanity of it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204 Invited image
    7 Ready to Celebrate! image
    1 Going to Miss The Fun image
    196 Making Us Wait image *RSVP Date April 25*
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I could brighten some of your days and give you guys a laugh.  Laughing  She has already agreed to get her hair done with us on the day of the wedding.  Now I have to convince her to forget about her brilliant makeup idea and we are golden.  
    Anniversary
  • Options
    andreapnycandreapnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL is all i have to say.  i'd be one big pimple if i slept in my makeup overnight!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha its actually not that uncommon - I havent done it myself, but I know friends for certain events had someone due their hair and just slept certain ways to keep it nice for the next day. Especially in competition dance/gymnastics this was common- especially when we had to leave for meets at 3/4am. Not purposly, but if my hair is done w/ enough bobypins and hairspray I can sleep on it and it looks about the same in the morning. I agree though that doing her own makeup would be a better option :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL is all I have to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And god help you with your BM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards