June 2012 Weddings
Options

Invitation Question after FI's Father's Passing

I just began working with an Etsy designer on our invitations just days before FIs father passed away.  The top of our invitation reads "Together with their parents"  

I would love it to still say that, but is there some sort of etiquette against it?  I like that it says that since his father still had a big part in everything and is very important to FI.

Re: Invitation Question after FI's Father's Passing

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I think it's fine if it says that. It's a recent loss. FWIW, I can't remember what was on my friend's invitations last year, but she also lost her father a month prior to their wedding. When her uncle walked her down and passed her onto her mother, she responded to "Who gives this man to this woman" with something like "Her father, her friends and I". I think that's kind of the same thing. I would leave it.

EDIT - It's 2012 Jess. Their wedding was last year.
  • Options
    I also think it's fine.  He helped with the wedding and is important. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invitation-question-after-fis-fathers-passing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:0bb698a2-3ccd-41b2-910f-d1968b8d6591Post:c044e0ba-2c18-4ef4-88ae-df3e0e45ce79">Re: Invitation Question after FI's Father's Passing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's fine if it says that. It's a recent loss. FWIW, I can't remember what was on my friend's invitations last year, but she also lost her father a month prior to their wedding. When her uncle walked her down and passed her onto her mother, she responded to "Who gives this man to this woman" with something like "Her father, her friends and I". I think that's kind of the same thing. I would leave it. EDIT - It's 2012 Jess. Their wedding was last year.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

This. I think it is just fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's more than okay. You're not even directly stating anyone's name either, so even if it was an ettiquette thing, I'm pretty sure that would navigate around an issue. I think it's important that he's included as "parents" because he was such a big part of your day until he passed away and will still be there in spirit.
  • Options

I think it iis fine. Our invitations say "with their parents" even though FI's mom is no longer with us. I also view it as his mom helped to make FI the man that I love.  We are having a memorial bouquet and we will list out all the family members that are no longer with us in the program because they will always be a part of us.

Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Options
    I agree^ I think is fine, and that way he can still be part of it or ur bid day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Nice to have you back!

I'm assuming it's still with your parents and his mother, so on just etiquette, together with our parents works.  However, this is one of many places in my opinion, where etiquette takes a back seat to what really matters to you.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else that it's totally fine to leave "together with their parents." Just to put another option out there in case it's useful, though - my dad passed away many years ago, and our invitations are going to say "together with their families."
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think as long as it is fine with FI, his mom and sibilings if he has any it is perfectly fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I will leave it as is Smile
  • Options
    FWIW My invites will say that, and my father passed away 13 years ago. I think it's perfect the way it is - etiquette or not! :-)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards