Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

What is Yours...?

Just curious to see what others are doing for this traditon...

List your something old, new, borrowed, and blue....and whether you follow the sixpence in your shoe.

My wedding is next June so I have some time to think about it :) it may change

Old:Swvorski(sp?) crystal tiara w/pearls
New: ?
Borrowed: ?
Blue: Mets garter for the FH...favorite baseball team and colors in blue/orange
Sixpence in shoe: not sure yet

Wedding Planning Bio/Blog Here Updated as of 2/1/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What is Yours...?

• Options
    I haven't a clue yet for mine.  The something old with be a brooch of my grandmother's on my dress, but I haven't decided yet.  Does my dress count as new?  :) 

Borrowed, I may borrow something like earrings from my mom, and the blue will probably come in the form of the garter or my crinoline. 

I had NEVER heard of the sixpence/penny/whatever in the shoe until after I got engaged and my FI's family and friends tried to hunt down a penny from my birth year for my shoe.  I guess a penny from 1981 is kind of old now, right?  It can do double duty!  :)
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • Options
    Old- vintage hanky with my new last initial embroidered on it given to me by my MIL
    New- dress, jewelry, shoes
    Borrowed- penny given to my sister from my now deceased grandmother
    Blue- bracelet that DH gave me as a wedding gift
    Six Pence- was actually the penny my sister let me borrow
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Old: a rosary from my Grandmother that was wrapped on my bouquet

New: my dress

Borrowed: handbag from my Mom

Blue: blue bow on my panties and on my garter

Sixpence in shoe: didn't do this one
  • Options
    old:my favorite earrings

new:my dress

Borrowed: FI grandma's pearls (maybe)

Blue: dying my slip blue

sixpense: never heard of this till just now. lol
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Old: great-grandma's bridal slip, my grandma and mom both wore it on their wedding days too
    New: umm..I may get a new pair of pearl earrings
    Borrowed: mom's veil
    Blue: blue silk ribbon that runs through the slip

Sixpence: I may using a  pfenning or Irish 5 pence instead.
  • Options
    I love how all of you have something from your ancestors! 

The sixpence thing I learned about on here :)
    Wedding Planning Bio/Blog Here Updated as of 2/1/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Old: My nana's pin on the stems of my bouquet

New: My dress, shoes, jewelery, etc..

Borrowed: Same as the something old

Blue: I put blue rhinetones under my shoes that were my new married initials
  • Options
    Old: My great grandmothers hanky with blue flowers on it. It was my given to my mother when she was little, and my Mother gave it to me.

New: Dress and shoes

Borrowed: My Mother's veil from her wedding. It matched my dress perfectly!

Blue: My Fiance got my something blue for me when we were shopping for his ring. It's a sapphire and diamond necklace with matching earings. Very classy and elegant. Perfect for my winter wedding!

Sixpence: My FH proposed in Switzerland, so I thought it would be nice to have a piece with me on the day we get married.

I loved seeing that so many women have pieces that belonged to a mother or grandmother!!!
  • Options
    I'm not totally sure yet, but it's getting there:

Old: my Wedding band. It's the original ring my Great-Grandmother designed when she was married

New: Does the dress count?

Borrowed: I'm not sure.... 

Blue: My shoes. This works out well since our colors are mainly in blues also.
  • Options
    Old and Borrowed: My mom's wedding veil!!
    New: Will be my dress!
    Blue: Not sure yet!
    Sixpence: my family puts a penny from the year of your birth in your shoe!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Old:  Vintage uchikake (wedding kimono-like robe)
    New:  Wedding gown
    Borrowed:  Necklace from my Mom
    Blue:  Not sure!
    Sixpence:  Can't do it - I'm wearing sandals and it would fall out!

• Options
    There' s a sticky at the top of the page for this now.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Old - the diamond cross necklace my parents gave to me as a confirmation gift.

New - i'm also wondering, does the dress and shoes count?

Borrowed - a pearl set (necklace, earrings, and bracelet) that belonged to the great great grandmother of my MOH

Blue - I'm thinking of finading a piece of blue satin, sewn into a heart, embroidered with my FI's initials, and then sewn onto the inside of my dress.

Sixpence - I'd like to find a legit sixpence, otherwise it may be a penny from the year of my birth.
    live.laugh.love
  • Options

Old: Pearl necklace my fiancé gave me wrapped around my wrist as a bracelet

New: Dress and Shoes

Borrowed: not sure yet

Blue: Blue Cameo I got in Italy (my fiancé proposed the day I got back) that I will pin onto my pearl necklace

Sixpence in Shoe: not sure yet

Buying A Home Anniversary
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Old: handkerchief my grandmother made trimmed in lace crocheted by my great grandmother

New: little gold horseshoe

Borrowed: mom's sixpence that my dad brought back from England when he was stationed in Europe

Blue: antique rhinestone clip that I'm attaching to the bouquet.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Old and Blue: Antique jewelry that belonged to my grandmother. I am combining various broaches, necklaces and earrings together to make a long sort of statement necklace. The top of my dress is super plain, just a white shantung corset.

Borrowed: Rhinestone bracelet from a BM

New: Dress & Shoes

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Old: bracelet I've had for years

New: jeez, everything? Dress, shoes, crinoline, veil, jewelry

Borrowed: Grandma's bible that she carried in leu of a bouquet, my florist is tucking it inside my bouquet, all the women in the family have carried it down the aisle :)

Blue: not sure yet. thinking some blue undies?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Old: My Great-Grandmother's earring and necklace set from the family collection. 
    New:Most of the things I'm wearing
    Blue:  My eyes? No clue. 
    Borrowed: Also a mystery, but I have time. 
    Wedding planning land is not friendly to feminists.
  • Options
    Old & Blue - A handkerchief that belonged to my great-grandmother.  It has my wedding colors and a little bit of blue in the flower design.

Borrowed - My parent's champagne glasses from their wedding

New - Dress, shoes, earrings

Sixpence - The penny my mom wore in her shoe at her wedding (she saved it!)
  • Options
    Old and Blue- grandmother's ring- she passed away and I wanted her with me on my wedding day

New- shoes, dress, everything I will be wearing!

Borrowed- not quite sure yet....maybe some jewelry of some sort?
    image 350 Invited so far! image 225 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out
  • Options
    My something old I won't be wearing but I'll have a hankercheif that I sewed my initials in when I was 12. I kept it all this time and thought that would be perfect since I sewed my initials in purple which is one of my wedding colors.

My something new is pretty much all my acessories, my necklace, my headband, my bracelet and my shoes.

My something borrowed is my friends slip. I know its not really cute but it was better than buying one Laughing.

My something blue is my garter.

And as for the coins I'm thinking of putting a gold coin in my right shoe and a silver one in my left. This is a Swedish tradition for good luck and I thought it would be fitting since I'm part Swedish.

Future Angie Ayrton
  • Options
    Old: grandmother's hair comb

New: dress, veil, shoes

Borrowed: FI deceased grandmother's diamond necklace

Blue: panties

Sixpence: looking for pennies with FI and my birth years
  • Options
    Old: My grandmother's pearls
    New: Shoes
    Borrowed: A hankey from my grandmother
    Blue: Navy garter for my sailor
    Sixpence: Actually a penny minted on the day we were originally married by the JOP
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Old:  A diamond heart necklace my grandmother (Dad's mom) left me when she passed away
    New:  Wedding gown
    Borrowed:  A white gold and diamond braclet borrowed from my Mom
    Blue:  My garter has our names embroidered on it in blue
    Sixpence:  I don't think I'm going to bother since I'm wearing flip flops, but if I happen to stumble across pennies that have our birth years on them, I may figure out a way to tape them on or something.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Old- My Grandmother's engagement ring
    New- Dress, shoes, veil etc.
    Borrowed- Still stuck on that one...
    Blue- Label sewn into my dress with my name and wedding date
    Sixpence- The only special request made by my mom...she said a penny will work just fine. :-)
  • Options
    New: Dress
    Old:Lace from my mother's veil, wrapping it around the bottom of the stems on my bouquet
    Blue: Garter
    Borrowed: earrings from my grandmother.
    No Sixpence...I haven't heard of that one :)
  • Options
    New: my dress, shoes earrings etc

Old:a vintage hand mirror/ comb my Maid of honour gave me

Blue:my garter, and the tie ups for the bustle on my dress

Borrowed: a pearl necklace 

My Maid of Honour also gave my husband an OLD labatt BLUE bottle opener that he got to BORROW, but it was NEW to him for the time he had it! 
  • Options
    Old & Blue: A diamond and sapphire ring that my grandmother gave to me when I was in high school.  I recently had it resized to fit my right ring finger and dipped so that it is now white gold rather than just gold.  Also considering wearing a pair of silver and clear heels that I bought several years ago for another event for $170...I justified the expense by saying that I could also wear them for my wedding :-)

New: Dress...it definitely counts!

Borrowed: Not sure...my wedding is still 10 months away, so maybe someone will offer to lend me something by then.

Sixpence:  Probably will not do this as I am getting married on a beach and will be wearing some sort of sandle or open type shoe. 
  • Options
    Old-my engagement ring that was ring designed by my grandmother with diamonds from assorted family members diamonds
    New-gown, veil, shoes
    Borrowed-not sure yet
    Blue- I'm thinking something on my undergarments. Though I like the idea of the glitter/rhinestone initials on the bottom of the shoes so I may steal that idea. Tongue out
    Sixpence-Wearing sandals so I'm not sure. I'm contemplating a German phenning super glued to the bottom of my shoe to honor my heritage. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Old: Idk.... I have a FAVORITE tiara I used for my Quarter Century party (my 25th Bday). If I find it....

New: Um.....everything. My MOH (Bestie since 3rd grade) is buying my jewelry).

Borrowed: I have no idea.

Blue: Well out colors are blue and yellow, but I want to wear a blue garter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards