Students
Options

School?

Hey girls I hope you can help me!
I just got engaged after dating my fianc for about a year and a half and I couldn't be happier. the only thing is that I am not in school and neither is he. We both work part time jobs. He recently got on at the post office and it seems like a really good job for him. But I want to be able to get a good job too. We have both tried college before, that's actually where we met. the thing Is I have no idea what I want to do with my life career wise. I'm 23 and I feel like I need to decide quick cause I want to get married soon and have kids before I turn 30 and I just don't know what to do. I want a job i will enjoy but i dont know what to go into. I'm really stressed and I am at my wits end. If you coul please help or if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: School?

• Options
    Step one: finish school.  Here's a good illustration of why:  http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/college-still-worth-it/?ref=economy (If there's some reason why that's particularly difficult, let me know and I can give suggestions from there.)  College, or at least post-secondary education, opens doors in a way that nothing else can.  If for some reason you think college isn't for you, have you considered trade schools?

Step two: Consider your skills and interests.  What are you good at?  What aren't you good at?  What makes you feel happy, challenged, proud of yourself?  If thinking in specifics doesn't work, try going more abstract.  For instance, say you really like knitting.  Ok, so, knitting is probably not enough on it;s own to make a career.  So go more abstract- you like working with your hands.  What ideas does that give you?

What jobs have you done in the past?  And also, what are your plans for the long-term?  Do you want to keep working after you have kids?  Stay home for the duration?  Stay home for a little while but go back to work when they're in kindergarden? 
  • Options
    Meeting with a career counselor at your local community college could be a great way for you to figure out your options.  Do you have any idea what interests you? Even if you can't think of a specific career, maybe you have interests that could be encompassed in a career.  For instance, maybe you like children so you could be a teacher, or a nurse that works with kids. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_school-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:5aa52226-f039-4526-b9bd-5dedb4aef905Post:1773c391-2216-49a5-aaf5-949b30e3206e">Re: School?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Step one: finish school.  Here's a good illustration of why:  <a rel="nofollow" href="http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/college-still-worth-it/?ref=economy">http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/college-still-worth-it/?ref=economy</a> (If there's some reason why that's particularly difficult, let me know and I can give suggestions from there.)  College, or at least post-secondary education, opens doors in a way that nothing else can.  If for some reason you think college isn't for you, have you considered trade schools? Step two: Consider your skills and interests.  What are you good at?  What aren't you good at?  What makes you feel happy, challenged, proud of yourself?  If thinking in specifics doesn't work, try going more abstract.  For instance, say you really like knitting.  Ok, so, knitting is probably not enough on it;s own to make a career.  So go more abstract- you like working with your hands.  What ideas does that give you? What jobs have you done in the past?  And also, what are your plans for the long-term?  Do you want to keep working after you have kids?  Stay home for the duration?  Stay home for a little while but go back to work when they're in kindergarden? 
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I actually wouldn't take these steps in this order. Figure out what you want to do or where your interests lie and THEN go to school. No point in getting a degree you won't use. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd suggest chatting with a career counselor to get yourself headed in the right direction.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, you're only 23. You have 7 years before you reach your arbitrary cut-off for having children. Don't feel like you need to rush. Your uterus will not self-destruct on your 30th birthday, and you might find that you need/want to readjust your "timeline" based on your career goals. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    I am Pro-Higher Education, so this post will encourage you to go back to school. Go and take your two years of core-classes and then narrow down your major. Every year tuition costs rise and rise for the same degree, so get started as soon as you can. As PP, the school should offer some sort of department/test to assist you. Good luck!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards