Jewish Weddings

7 circles

Hi fellow brides! I have a logistics question....my wedding gown has a long train, and I will be wearing a cathedral lenght veil. I am worried about tripping over my dress while doing the 7 circles around the groom. In a conservative ceremony (rabbi is orthodox) is it ok for the mother of the bride to hold the dress and walk the 7 circles with the bride behind her? Or does the bride have to perform the ritual herself? Any other suggestions for not getting all tied up?

Re: 7 circles

• edited December 2011

Usually the mothers (mother and mother in law) guide the bride, so one in front and one in back. The one in the back can hold the train.

• edited December 2011
    I've always seen someone carrying the train during the circling.  You should ask your rabbi to see what his normal method is.  My MOH held my train during circling, which was what our rabbi told us to do.
    Anniversary
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i would see if you (if you're able) or someone else can hold the train and straighten it out for you once you're done circling.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My rabbi had H pick up my train and hand it to me while I circled and then my MOH straightened out once we entered the chuppah.
    Anniversary image
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    edited December 2011
    Guess what?  The "circling" thing is completely optional!  I chose not to do it and my Conservative rabbi was totally fine with my decision.  Just my two cents.
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love when the mother and MIL circle with the bride, but, my mother didn't walk well enough to be able to do this, so, my MOH handed me my train and then straightened it for me when I was done.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • chavanolachavanola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's definitely ok for someone to hold your train as you circle.  I've definitely seen plenty of MOB's circling behind, or in cases where both mothers were involved one, guided the bride and one held the train.
  • edited December 2011
    My mother-in-law held my train, and my mother straightened it out at the end. It worked really well.
  • lachlomlachlom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I don't think it's fair to say that circling is "completely optional", especially with an Orthodox mesader kiddushin.

That being said, the mothers typically hold up the train, so not only is it okay, it's what is generally done! :)
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_7-circles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:218e579f-ee93-4a93-acb6-02785530b785Post:fc0db6ca-d01a-4ecf-af2c-bc04728e6485">Re: 7 circles</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I don't think it's fair to say that circling is "completely optional", especially with an Orthodox mesader kiddushin. That being said, the mothers typically hold up the train, so not only is it okay, it's what is generally done! :)
    Posted by lachlom[/QUOTE]

For a Conservative Egalitarian Jewish wedding - which is what I had - the rabbi said it was <strong>completely optional.</strong>  It is <strong>NOT</strong> required by Jewish law for the wedding to be an officially Jewish wedding! I am only speaking from my personal experience, that is all!
  • chavanolachavanola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had an Orthodox wedding and didn't do circling (we're Sephardi and our tradition is not to circle).  Circling is not required by Jewish law, but if you have an Ashkenazi Orthodox rabbi it might be an argument to forego.  Considering the widespread tradition plus the symbolism they'll definitely try and talk you into it.  But as stated above someone else can definitely hold the train during the circling if that's the main concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards