Christian Weddings

need help from you ladies!

so we have all of the details for our reception planned and now i gotta figure out the details of the ceremony and have no clue where to start! I guess i don't even know the order of ceremony. here is what i have so far cuz i copied it from my aunts wedding (questions for you in bold):

Processional song suggestions?
Welcome
Reading
Exchange of Vows
Song what do we do during the song? just stand and listen or is something else going on?
Giving and Receiving of Rings
Unity Cross will the pastor explain what it is/symbolizes while we're putting it together, or before (then a song plays while we're putting it together?) and then would we have our "song" maybe go while we're putting together the cross?
Closing
Recessional

would loooove to hear your input :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: need help from you ladies!

• edited December 2011
    Our processional was 'Canon in D' by Pachelbel.  Very classic.

We talked with our preacher about playing a song during the ceremony.  We decided against it because he said we would literally just stand there and stare at each other.  No thanks.

As for the unity cross, I would be more inclined to having the preacher explain the symbolism while you are putting it together.  That way, your guests can follow along.  Unless you get a short enough song or cut a song off midway through (awkward) you would be done with the unity cross and be standing there.

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We have everything for our ceremony and music on our planning bio.  If you go there, and then hover your cursor over "Ceremony" you can choose to see the Ceremony Wording, Program Outline, our Reading, and Music from the drop down list. 

We're having one congregational hymn, one song playing while we're braiding the Cord of Three Strands, and one played while we're signing the Marriage Covenant.  I've been to a few weddings where one song is played while they light the unity candle or mix the sand and then take communion as a couple. 

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011

My bridesmaids walked in to "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring."  Its the "other" popular wedding entrance.  I walked in to "Of the father's love begotten."  It's a beautiful Christmas hymn that my Kantor added some drama to and it fit perfectly.

Yes, you would just be standing there during a song.  We had four hymns, and the congregation and wedding party and we sang them.

I think having the Pastor explain the cross while you do it is a good idea.  It might be nice to have something instrumental in the background that could easily be ended when you are done.  You could also just put it in the program.  Guests usually arrive early for the ceremony and need some reading material, anyway. ;)

• KikoLoveAndiKikoLoveAndi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Planing for  our ressional to be the end of  "miracle of miracles" from "fidler on the roof." 

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you happy with that program or are you just doing it because your Aunt did?  I just want to make sure you are okay with making the ceremony the way you want it to be.  Now for your questions:

1.  We also used Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and Pachelbel's Canon.  But you can really do any song that you want that is fairly slow.  These are just two common ones.

2.  Song - we had two songs in the wedding.  We just stood with the rest of the WP and watched the one singing the song.  (Yes, we occasionally looked at each other, but mostly watched the soloist.  We also did that during the scripture readings and during my sister's 5 minute sermonette.)

3.  You can do the cross while the pastor is explaining or do it after during a song - I don't think it really matters so do what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck with your planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for all the ideas!

i am not doing the program order just cuz my aunt did. it is just kinda my shell cuz i had to start somewhere! i am seriously confused where to start haha

i'm going to be looking up all the songs you suggested and then hopefully find more similar ones until i find my "perfect" songs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_need-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:09013426-3833-43df-8b4e-1bf4b2e9b7cfPost:57caa556-dddd-4419-b410-18bcb27ec9b5">need help from you ladies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]so we have all of the details for our reception planned and now i gotta figure out the details of the ceremony and have no clue where to start! I guess i don't even know the order of ceremony. here is what i have so far cuz i copied it from my aunts wedding (questions for you in bold): Processional song suggestions? Welcome Reading Exchange of Vows <strong>Song what do we do during the song? just stand and listen or is something else going on?</strong> Posted by purpleXdandelion[/QUOTE]

Is the song a congregational hymn or is it a soloist? I ask this because what I have seen is while the soloist sings (after the exhanging of vows and ring exchange), the couple can be signing the marriage registry or doing the unity candle instead of just standing there and watching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards