Catholic Weddings
Options

Who should take gifts up to altar?

I'm not sure who typically takes the gifts to the altar for a Catholic ceremony. I wasn't sure if it would be okay to ask my Mother & my FMIL. My Mom was agreeable, but my FMIL said she never heard of this...Is this not appropriate for Mothers to do this?

Help! Thanks!

Re: Who should take gifts up to altar?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would assume that would be okay. But, I would think that being mothers of the bride and groom they would want to sit and enjoy the moment/ceremony. There are going to be so many emotions anyway on your wedding day that although the offer is very nice, don't be surprised if they turn it down.

The only rule is that they must be Catholic. We had my Godmother and H Grandma bring the gifts up.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_should-gifts-up-altar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ff8adf9-ea68-40f9-8aa8-b9d16d3ed11aPost:a50164c1-d096-44c2-9a33-e804ae35c18d">Re: Who should take gifts up to altar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only rule is that they must be Catholic.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

<div>Are you sure they have to be Catholic?  I don't know the answer, that's why I'm requestioning.</div><div>
    </div><div>I was under the impression that you can be of any faith, or even a non-confirmed Catholic, and still be allowed to bring the gifts up.  And that this goes for any Liturgical minister.  It was only that the Eucharistic minister had to be a confirmed Catholic, right?</div><div>
    </div><div>But you bring up an excellent point that MOBs and MOGs tend to want to sit back to worship and enjoy the Liturgy.  They already have a job lighting the unity candle or even walking you down the aisle.  You may want to appoint someone else if you think this is the case.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_should-gifts-up-altar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ff8adf9-ea68-40f9-8aa8-b9d16d3ed11aPost:e8375cfa-8a0c-4240-8863-fb6eb5803600">Re: Who should take gifts up to altar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who should take gifts up to altar? : <strong> Are you sure they have to be Catholic?</strong>  I don't know the answer, that's why I'm requestioning. I was under the impression that you can be of any faith, or even a non-confirmed Catholic, and still be allowed to bring the gifts up.  And that this goes for any Liturgical minister.  It was only that the Eucharistic minister had to be a confirmed Catholic, right? But you bring up an excellent point that MOBs and MOGs tend to want to sit back to worship and enjoy the Liturgy.  They already have a job lighting the unity candle or even walking you down the aisle.  You may want to appoint someone else if you think this is the case.
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am pretty sure they have to believe in what they are carrying up to the altar. At least when we were planning our wedding, our priest and music director told us the gift bearers had to be Catholic, and furthermore, a practicing Catholic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that while it is ideal to have people be confirmed, practicing Catholics acting as Liturgical ministers, it isn't a requirement in Canon Law.

I believe this decision is made on the local level of the bishop or the priest to meet the needs of the people.  In MissySue20's case, her priest was acting in the ideal situation by requiring those bringing the bread and wine to become consecrated as Body and Blood of Jesus to believe in the Holy Eucharist.

We had a similar discussion a few weeks back you may want to refer to:
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We asked my godmother and his godmother.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The rubrics don't require the gift bearers to be Catholic, although ideal.

However, your priest or parish may require it, and it is their right to do so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    clearheavens: thanks for clearing that up for me

agapecaried: yeah, I guess it was just that our priest required them to be Catholic, which was fine with us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I asked 2 of my younger cousins to bring the gifts up.  (age 10 and 15)  I am including all of my first cousins in my wedding.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We could choose any confirmed Catholics to carry the gifts, I suggested we have my husband's parents be the gift bearers (none of my family is Catholic), however my husband liked the idea of us carrying the gifts at our wedding, so we where our own gift bearers.

Check with your priest before asking anyone to find out if he requires the gift bearers to be Catholic or not.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our Godparents bring up the gifts.  We thought about having my Godchildren be involved also-  but as time went on they ended up having  other roles during the mass!  My nephew/godson served the mass, and my niece/goddaughter led the communion song.   

@clearheavens:  If you are in need of navy/fuschia ribbon... let me know!  I have lots leftover!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We are having two people from our bridal party.  Originally we were going to have our mothers, but we decided differently.  Both of our mothers aren't practicing Catholics. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_should-gifts-up-altar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ff8adf9-ea68-40f9-8aa8-b9d16d3ed11aPost:5fed9c68-97ea-4863-905f-37ed89568043">Re: Who should take gifts up to altar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@clearheavens:  If you are in need of navy/fuschia ribbon... let me know!  I have lots leftover!
    Posted by ellen73[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you so much!  I will save this post for later reference!</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    They do not have to be Catholic although some priests will insist on this.

I, MOB, carried the gifts with the uncle of the groom who was Lutheren.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having my parents and FI's parents carry the gifts.  All 4 are practicing Catholics.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are thinking of having Godparents - either all 4 or just 2....I would be able to ask 3 no problem and would love to have the three of them! but the other one will cause a hissy fit likely if she is excluded so we still have to work this out. 

At Fis one brothers wedding the mothers brought up the gifts and at the next one next weekend their friends are.   I say asking mothers is just fine! if they are ok with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards