Maine

Please help me with Venue ideas in mid coast area!!

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone might have an amazing venue idea that I haven't already thought of. What is making things tricky is that I'm looking for a mostly indoor, or at least well covered facility that can seat 150+ people for dinner and still have space for dancing etc.
I know of the belfast boathouse, ducktrap retreat, french's point, the wentworth center, asticou inn.

What am I missing!?

Thank you for your help!!

Re: Please help me with Venue ideas in mid coast area!!

• edited December 2011
    We were also looking for 150+ people.  We looked at Ducktrap, French's Point, and Wentworth as well as the Samoset Resort in Rockland.  There's Point Lookout in Northport, which we didn't look at, but have driven by.  We also looked at a large house in Northport that has a barn and tent for parties, http://www.mountnseainn.com/. There's a restaurant called Amore in Belfast that advertises they do private parties; I don't know what their capacity is, but we like eating there. 

What season are you planning for? 

ETA: Let me know if you want more details about the places we looked at. 
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you checked out the Samoset, but it could be just what you're looking for.  It's also a gorgeous place to stay, but there are tons of places close by to choose from.  Let us know what you decide and good luck!
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whitehall Inn, Camden Harbor Inn, Inn at Ocean's Edge (all in the Camden/Rockport area)? Also Point Lookout.
    1812 Barn - though it might be a bit tight with 150 people.
    Do you mind sharing your budget with us, that could help narrow down suggestions?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the Mount N Sea Inn suggestion!! Apart from the crazy name we love it!

As far as seasons go we're looking for fall 2011 so time is a bit of a factor, as well as finding venues that aren't completly booked.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the Ducktrap retreat's noise policy?

How about the Wentworth Center? Its hard for me to get a feel for the interior of the space based on the pictures I've foudn online.

In terms of budget, the Inn at Ocean's Edge is out of our range as is Point Lookout unless they offer some amazing end of season specials. We're thinking $75-100 per person max.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!
  • edited December 2011
    The Mount N Sea is really cute (despite its name, yes).  The people that show it are really nice--the guy is quite a character.  He has a 1970s Jaguar limo with purple interior that he breaks out for weddings.  The guy indicated that they have a good relationship with their neighbors and noise isn't so much a problem.

At Ducktrap, they have a large, lovely space with a patio attached (not sure if you've visited).  Justin, the man that shows it, said you have food outside with tables set up under a tent on the patio, and then dancing inside.  You can shut the doors between the patio and the inside to keep some of the noise in, which Justin said we would need to do.  

The Wentworth is decorated with lobster traps and charts, and that kind of thing.  I can see if I have other photos of it if you want (maybe PM me with your email address if you're interested).  One hesitation we had about them (we were looking in January for our July wedding) is that they are currently redoing their patio and the back of the building that faces the water.  We couldn't tell how it would look at the end of renovations, which I think they are finishing this spring.  Obviously the view is beautiful, but we didn't want to be unpleasantly surprised if they didn't totally finish the patio or make it look really polished.  

Also, you probably have figured this out, but French's Point is really expensive.  It's beautiful, but very pricey.  
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_please-venue-ideas-mid-coast-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:6afeb315-7539-4cde-8f35-fe8aa4221ef4Post:9168e16b-17c5-4934-8893-fd4c571a6f8d">Re: Please help me with Venue ideas in mid coast area!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much for the Mount N Sea Inn suggestion!! Apart from the crazy name we love it! As far as seasons go we're looking for <strong>fall 2011</strong> so time is a bit of a factor, as well as finding venues that aren't completly booked. Can anyone share their thoughts on the Ducktrap retreat's noise policy? How about the Wentworth Center? Its hard for me to get a feel for the interior of the space based on the pictures I've foudn online. In terms of budget, the Inn at Ocean's Edge is out of our range as is Point Lookout unless they offer some <strong>amazing end of season specials</strong>. We're thinking $75-100 per person max. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!
    Posted by zobear3[/QUOTE]

<div>Just an FYI, as someone who used to work in the wedding industry, Fall is actually high season for weddings up here, specifically the months of September and October (people like to take advantage of the dry weather, cool days, and the foliage), so if you are looking for reduced rates I would push for November-ish. If you are looking for this year, you might have some difficulty finding vendors. </div>
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you again for all the suggestions. My parents are going to check out Mount n Sea on Tuesday and I have my fingers crossed that its as awesome as my FH has decided it is from the webiste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards