Snarky Brides

WWAFBD? Tasty, this one's for you.

I took chicken out last night to start thawing for dinner tonight, but I forgot to put it back in the fridge before I went to bed. It was most certainly thawed this morning and barely cold to the touch. Would AFB eat the chicken?
DSC_0768
Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
Married Bio

Re: WWAFBD? Tasty, this one's for you.

• hells no. but you probably could cook it thoroughly and be just fine. would I? not a chance. if you are going to eat it, use a thermometer and it needs to be at LEAST 165F.
  • also, really, you should never, EVER, thaw food out on the counter. the outside parts thaw much, much faster than the inner parts and it will breed bacteria faster than you can say salmonella. thaw under refrigeration or if you want to do quick-thaw, thaw in the microwave and then cook immediately after or under tepid running water (of at least 70F). your intestines will thank me.
  • just a question, thawing in the fridge (or atleast my fridge) always takes too long. I'll put it in the fridge for dinner tonight and it'll still half frozen when i get home 11 hrs later so should you microwave it to thaw it more or cook it half frozen?  
  • thaw the rest in the microwave using 30-50% power and then cook it right afterwards, and it will be perfect. or, move the chicken to the fridge up to 3 days prior to cooking and it will also be all good.
  • I always thaw my shizz in a bowl of hot water.  Safe or salmonella inducing?
  • haha, very funny Expee.
  • I take it I'm fuccked?
  • cmc714cmc714 member
    First Comment
    Damn, there goes dinner tonight. My intestines thank you in advance, Tasty.
    DSC_0768
    Married Bio
  • well you've not died yet . . . standing water like that just SCREAMS bacteria. If you are going to use hot water (which, really you should be aiming around 70F), then at least let it run off the chicken package and drain away. but really, these are all just food safety tips that should be taken in more careful consideration when serving the public or anyone with immature, compromised, or senior immune systems.
  • I would eat it, but I'm a risk taker with food.  My midnight mold induced nausea last week is a testament to that.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • don't throw it out yet, CMC. some other posters (maybe Fallin?) will come on here and tell you that it's perfectly fine and then roll their eyes at my OMG THE SKY IS FALLING YOU LEFT OUT CHICKEN NOW WE ALL DIE approach to food safety. just in case you find yourself agreeing with that contingent.
  • I'm pretty risky and I wouldn't eat it, CMC.  Did you put it back in the fridge then?
  • cmc714cmc714 member
    First Comment
    I put it back in the fridge this morning. I guess I'll err on the side of caution and go get more chicken on my lunch break. Hopefully I don't have any dirty chicken stealers in my office.
    DSC_0768
    Married Bio
  • Growing up, my mom used to take chicken out to thaw in the morning before leaving for work. She'd leave it out all day, then cook it up for dinner when everyone got home.I've lived this long, and have never had food poisoning. (Though I will say that now, in my own house, we use the "defrost" function on our microwave and cook the meat immediately after it's thawed, like Tasty says.)Unless it smells, I'd probably cook it up and eat it, CMC.
  • No, I wouldn't eat it but I prefer to err on the side of caution.  Maybe you have a co-worker who left some chicken in the fridge that you could swipe?
    image Ready to rumble.
  • What if you take chicken out of the freezer and put it in the fridge, and then forget about it until a week later.  It's been in the fridge the whole time -- is it going to kill you to eat it?  Not that I have done anything like this very recently or anything.  You know, strictly hypothetical.  What if you kept it in a special drawer in your fridge that kept things a bit cooler and fresher, hypothetically speaking?
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't eat chicken if it were freshly slaughtered in my backyard and under perfect refrigeration up until the very moment it is cooked to the perfect internal temperature. however. if I were hypothetically speaking about you eating that chicken, I would say that 3 days after thawing from frozen should be your limit. this is flesh we are talking about here. if you left your mushrooms out for a few days, I wouldn't be such a Sanitation Nazi.
  • I always put my chicken in a baggie, and put the baggie in a bowl of cold water and change the water every 20 minutes until it's thawed.  I read this somewhere or something.  And it saves water.  Am I going to die?
    3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • yes. come snuggle in my bosom until the grim reaper comes to take you away.
  • When in doubt throw it out. Thats what I always say.
    Effing crazy people.
  • monj is wise. I always say I don't like to eat things that could make me shart.
  • I'd only eat it if it were going into a soup or stew or something where it would be cooked beyond bacterial oblivion.
    The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Of course I'd eat it. As long as it's cooked done. There's not much I wouldn't eat after it was in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. I's eat it raw off the counter before I microwaved to defrost. That kills the texture.
  • jbloomjbloom member
    First Comment
    Although I learned in Food Handler's class that you should use running water, I always cheat and use a big bowl full of cold tap water.  I hate to waste the water.  I guess I make up for SB's cats a wee bit.
  • I'm jumping on Fallin's salmonella-ridden couch dress here (including the part about microwaved chicken- blech). I thaw meat out on the counter overnight or during the workday on a regular basis, and can't recall ever sharting after doing so.and fruits are vegetables are covered with bacteria from lolling around in the dirt and being irrigated with feces water and handled by dirty worker hands. don't eat them. cantaloupe has KILLED people!
  • Stop purposely dredging up old threads, @TarponMonoxide.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards