Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'mfurious and venting (long)

I just need to get this off my chest, and venting infront of H right now would set him over the edge.H's brother (A) was attacked Friday night. He was at some redneck party he shouldn't have been at, and while the details are fuzzy right now, we know he ended up in a verbal argument with a group of guys. He and his GF decided to leave to avoid any further confrontation and walked down the road to their car. Once they got to their car 5 men attacked A. They restrained his GF and took turns bashing him in the head with a baseball bat. They broke a bottle of vodka over his head and kicked him as well. It also looks like they took a few swings at his GF because she wouldn't stop screaming. A blacked out, and the GF is so traumatized she can't remember exactly what they did to her.I guess someone heard her screaming because people made their way down the road and saw what was happening, someone called 911 and police arrived a few minutes later.Witnesses said that at some point the group of guys went back in the house and started celebrating because they thought they had killed A. A had to be airlifted to a hospital in the city. He's in the ICU in an induced coma, his skull is fractured, eye sockets are crushed, jaw is broken, teeth are missing, and his brain is bruised & was bleeding. It's horrific. I've never seen anyone look at beat up as he does, not even on tv or in a movie. The good news is he's stable right now, but it's going to be a long road to recovery.What I need to vent about, is these motherf*ckers who did this are out on bail and threatening witnesses. All sorts of special security has been put in place so they can't get to A or his GF (she's admitted with internal injuries) in the hospital. I know it's typical for bail to be set for assholes like this, but I'm still fuming about it. We hope they'll be charged tomorrow, at first it was going to be attempted murder, now it's going to be assault with intent to kill, which apparently is more serious. They'll also be charged with several other things, but I'm not sure what. No one knows exactly when they can be arrested again. Does anyone know how that works? I don't know what to do, H is beyond angry, he has a crazed look in his eyes like he wants to go find these guys and do god knows what. I can't blame him, and I know he won't do anything, but I think if these guys are allowed to be free much longer he's going to snap.I'm sorry this is so long and f*cked up, I just had to get this off my chest somewhere.

Re: I'mfurious and venting (long)

• Options
    Here's hoping for a quick recovery for your brother-in-law and his girlfriend, and also for a long time in jail for those horrible people. That's awful.
  • Options
    I am furious too. Have your H focus his energy on a civil case.  Rain hell down on those mother f*ckers.  Let their family feel it too.I am so sorry for you and your family.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    good Lord!I hope he recovers soon but that's just awful
  • Options
    Sweet Jeebus!  How incredibly awful.  I'm so, so, so very sorry to hear this.  I can tell you more about the court process, but it would be a little long for here, if you'd like to email me I'll tell you more.  j.k10910 @ gmail.com.  Or give me yours and I'll email you.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm so so sorry.  I hope A and his GF heal quickly and that those responsible are locked away.
  • Options
    This makes me furious just reading it!  I'm so sorry to hear it, I really hope A recovers soon and your family can get through this :) 
  • Options
    Wow, that is so terribly disturbing and upsetting.  Thank goodness they are both stable.  Keep us updated - hopefully justice will be served and quickly.
  • Options
    Oh my god that is awful! I am so sorry for you and your husband and family. I hope your BIL and his girlfriend both recover soon, I can't imagine going through something like that.As far as them being out on bail, have the witnesses reported being threatened? I know nothing about this really but I would think that something like that would be enough to revoke their bail.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Oh jeez. That's terrible. I hope that A and his GF make a full recovery and that these guys get what is coming to them.
  • Options
    That's so terrible for your family.  I hope he pulls through as quickly as possible and you get justice.t's and p's
  • Options
    I can't blame you for being upset at all of this.  I was fuming after my mother was attacked.  Can you try to talk to local law enforcement and the DA? 
  • Options
    FYI, threatening witnesses is another charge.  The witnesses should report this.  It should be enough to get their bail revoked as well, if they're actually out on bail.  It seems strange that they're out on bail already, normally there's a longer turn around time.

• Options
    The justice system is that fuucked up here in Canada too.  Rapists get less jail time than thieves.  It's ridiculous.  Sorry to hear all that.  That's so horrific.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I can't even described how f*cking infuriated I am right now. He has a four year old daughter who he has primary custody of, no one has any idea what to tell her.I would hope that threatening witnesses would revoke their bail, I just don't know. The police seem like they are so busy investigating they don't have much time to give us updates (this happened in a podunk town). The good news is the witnesses aren't wavering and have reported the threats.JK - you have mail
  • Options
    I'm so sorry!  I know how helpless you and H must feel right now.  Just try to be as supportive as you can for H.  Hopefully the witnesses report being threatened.Your family will be in my thoughts
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry... that's a horrible, horrible situation and I can't imagine what your whole family is going through.  Something similar happened at my college my senior year-- there was a stupid verbal arguement followed by an attack on one of the boys involved, only the boy was actually killed.... and even still it took an entire year for the trial to take place.  I hope it's a speedier process for you!
  • Options
    I have no advice but I do hope that A has a speedy recovery and that justice is served.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Lpstl, YGM right back.  Sorry it took so long, I was collecting my thoughts to put things as concisely as possible.  I tend to ramble ;)I didn't say before, but I wish A and his GF a speedy recovery and I hope you guys can get some justice!

• Options
    That's horrible Lpstl.  I hope your BIL and his girlfriend recover fully and quickly.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I'm so sorry!  That's terrible!  Threatening witnesses is a violation of a condition of their bond, and bail should be revoked.  You should relay any specific info to the police and to the prosecutor.  Also, I can answer general questions about the legal system.  I do criminal defense.  Typically, in a case like this, a prosecutor will charge them with the highest (most serious) count, and then go from there.  Then if there is some reason to reduce the charges, they can do so before trial.  95% of cases are disposed of with a plea bargain, so they often use the reduced charge to make a deal. For the re-arrest, they'll probably arrange to turn themselves in and show up and go through the booking process and leave, still on bond.  It's more of an administrative thing.  If the prosecutor knows that they are violating a condition of their bail, he might try to revoke it at the same time. 
  • Options
    Thank you again everyone. JK - YGM again.
  • Options
    that's insane. I hope he gets better quickly, and they pin everything they can to the guys who did it.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL.  I hope he has a speedy recovery and that your H is OK.  The idea about kicking their a$$es in a civil suit is a good one btw.
  • Options
    he should also file a civil complaint against these guys.  Have him talk to a lawyer on contingency.
  • Options
    Thank you Leah - So, you think as long as the witnesses report the threats we can get them back in jail without a chance of bail? I'm pretty sure they've reported it, but that all just happened today. Plans are already being put in motion for a civil case, would it stick it to them harder if A & his GF did this separately, or jointly?I'm sure we'll have these guestions answered in a few days by A's attorney, but at this point any information on the criminal system could help everyone keep their sanity.
  • Options
    Also, since they are out, has he filed a restraining order?
  • Options
    That is horrible, and I see you're getting info from lawyers about the criminal system more suited to that advice than I.  As for civil case, not actually such a good idea in practice.  Civil litigation is expensive, and my guess is that these people don't have money -- in other words, they are "collection proof", which means you spend tons of money on a civil suit and even if you win (keep in mind that the case would drag on forever), you don't get money from them.
  • Options
    They wouldn't spend tons of money on contingency and if they make ANY money, he could get it attached.
  • Options
    That really sucks, I'm sorry.Ditto Jen on the restraining order.  They are surprisingly easy to get, in my experience.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Do you know if someone can file a restraining order on his behalf? A is in an induced coma now.wdc - Right now, no one cares about money. The criminal attorney who will handle the civil case is a relative, and all anyone cares about is putting these guys through hell for what they did. It's fresh though, so that might change down the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards