Wedding Reception Forum

Buffet Dinner--food choices on invites??

We are having a buffet style dinner at our reception. I know that you usually include the dinner choices on invites, how would I do this with a buffet? As we do not need to know who would like what beforehand, like a typical plated dinner...Thanks!!

Re: Buffet Dinner--food choices on invites??

• You don't need to do this with a buffet. The only time you should do this is when you are having a plated dinner with a choice of two entrees.In the case of a buffet, people make their food choices in the buffet line.
  • You don't need to put dinner choices on the invitations for a buffet just mention a buffet style dinner if you'd like.  I went to one recently and they had enough choices for everyone.  The need for choices for a sit down is so they know how much to make for each dish.
  • The dinner choices only go on the rsvp card in the invitations if you need them to make a choice beforehand.  Since you're having a buffet, you don't include the food choices anywhere in the invitation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's not necessary if the guests don't need to choose their food ahead of time. Just an __accepts or ___declines on the response card is sufficient.
  • ditto othersThe meal selection on the RSVP card is for plated dinners.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• definitely no reason to list food at all in the invite suite if you're doing a buffet
  • Thank you everyone! Your replys are much appreciated. :)
  • I'd just like to add that if you are doing a buffet, it might be nice to list what will be on it for your guests. You don't have to put it on the invite or response card, but perhaps including the available options on the directions card or another insert would work. We are doing a buffet and, on the back of the invite, we listed what the options will be. I think it's nice to give people at least a head's up what they can expect to be eating.Just my 2 cents, though!
  • Including the choices in the invites defeats the whole purpose of the buffet. You only do that with a plated meal. Guests find out what is available when they get to the reception. If you want them to know what their choices are, you can print menus for each place setting that they read when they find their seats.
  • I agree that it is not necessary to list your food choices, however, in the case of guests with unusual food allergies, it wouldn't be a bad idea to let people know what your selections are. I, as a guest, am always appreciative of the meal, but if it is a buffet, and I therefore do not know what is being served, I bring a small snack with me just in case. That being said, it is rare that you would have that situation, and it doesn't change the fact that you still aren't 'required' to list your food selections if you have chosen a buffet. If you choose to list it at all, I agree with one of the other posters in that you could list it with the maps and other info, and not necessarily on a RSVP.
  • I wouldn't do it beforehand with a buffet. There's no need. If it's common in your area to choose entrees for receptions with plated dinners, than that's what your guests will think you're having. You don't need to list food choices on invitations. I had never even heard of this until the Knot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards