Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tattoo rings- opinions please

Fi doesn't have any tattoos and I don't either. If there's such a thing as "non-tattoo folks" - that's us. But, the other day he said he was considering getting a tattoo wedding ring- since in his profession it is unsafe to wear any jewelry at work. He says he would still wear a regular ring over it when not at work. They are not my style, but if he really wants to I will support his decision. Do you know anybody with one of these? Thoughts?

Re: Tattoo rings- opinions please

• I would never get anything like that.  But, I am cynical and a realist.  I suppose if I got a tattoo ring and got divorced I could buy myself a FAB ring to wear over it... like a sapphire.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Alot of artists won't do them because they guarantee thier work and finger/hand tattoos fade relatively quicky compared to other body parts. If he wants it, go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  i have several friends with them... for the same reason as you mentioned their professions dont make it safe to wear jewelry so they have gotten the tattoos.. and they love them.
  • I wouldn't. Tattoos are forever, regardless of what happens down the road.What would he do if you guys divorced? temporarily split up? or (God forbid) you passed on? He would be unable to remove the wedding ring and move on, or would have a constant reminder of his old life.I think it's a very romantic gesture, but not a practical one.My Dh doesn't wear his wedding ring at work for the same reason, it doesn't mean he's not married. Most days at work if I'm working with the mechanical parts of my job I put my rings on a necklace.
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    NO. I would never tattoo anything on my body that had to do with any person other than my child. Divorce does happen you know.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It's sweet that he still wants to be "wearing" a wedding ring even when he can't. My FI would just not wear one! ;-) If you are worried about how it'd look when you were out somewhere nice or whatever the case may be, his real band would always cover it! I wouldn't mind it!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not my style, but if he wants it, I guess I don't see any reason not to.  I just figure if he can't wear his ring at work, so what?  Is it that important that his coworkers know that he is married? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally agree with everything everyone has said, but should I talk him out of it? This was the first time he's mentioned it in the 9 years we've been together- so it may just be a passing whim.
  • I used to want one, but once Pam Anderson & Tommy Lee broke up I decided that it wasn't a good idea. If they couldn't make it last, who can?
  • I wouldn't necessarily talk him out of it...but why don't you encourage him to take some time to mull over the decision.  And bring up some of the concerns raised here, if you agree with them.
  • I'd wait until he brings it up again.  Then maybe have a more serious discussion about it.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • I wouldn't necessarily try to talk him out of it, but I would just drop it for now and see if he brings it up again.  It may have just been an idea he mentioned but doesn't really plan on doing.  If he does bring it up again, you could point out some of the questions you have - like is it really that important for him to have that for work?  what if something happens (divorce? death?)?  Maybe just be sure he's thinking of it from all perspectives before he decides. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    [i]so it may just be a passing whim.[/i] I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. FI and I had a 5 second long conversation about it one time and it was vetoed. We are both tattooed people and we didn't even want to go there. Also ditto PP about the maintenance. Unless he wants to continue to go back for touch ups, a hand tattoo is going to fade a lot.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • does he really want to wear a ring or do you really want him to wear a ring? cuz its not that big a deal for a guy (or girl) to not wear a ring, particularly if its not safe at work to do so.
  • my fiance has a job that you can't wear jewelry at too and a lot of his married coworkers have done that - personally I don't like it and neither does fiance. Life is just too unpredictable to do something that permanent in my opinion
  • I know some people that did the same thing for the same reasons, and it works for them.  Truth is it is his body and his choice, if he decides to have it done then I would let him know how you feel but not try to stop him.  My mom wants a tattoo realllly bad, but my dad is totally against it--she is having it done on her birthday, kinda cracks me up.
  • My mom thought about doing that but since they fade so quickly she'd have to have it redone constantly and she wouldn't want to do that. 
  • i think its very sweet idea but in reality its just not a good idea. heaven forbid something happens and you need to get a divorce. Can you spend everyday looking at that tattoo? plus if you choose to remarry what will the new hubby think about looking at your old "wedding ring" every day of his life. Even after 5 years of marriage i refused to tattoo and good thing i did because we ended up splitting. I hear there is a curse associated with doing things like that. no one i know is with the person they have tattood on them.
  • I'm fine with him not wearing a ring. A lot of men I know only wear them for the first few years, or on special occasions. I didn't know about the fading- good to know. He works at a large aerospace company and a few guys there have tattoo rings so he's seeing them daily, but probably most just take them off for work.
  • Gemstone- I wouldn't be getting one, only him!
  • I'm not a fan.But life is so unpredictable.  Divorce or even death are possible.  I would like the option of removing the ring in either case if I choose to move on with my life.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I wouldn't do it, and I'm with PPs about not tattooing anything related to another person on my body. Not even my kids. That sounds harsh, and I do try to focus on the positive, but how sh!tty would it be if Charlie Manson's mom had his portrait tattooed on her forearm?
  • We are very conservative and we are going to do this.
  • It is just simply not necessary. Not having your ring on at certain times does not make you any less married. There are more important ways to show you are married.
  • I like the idea. I have a family friend who has matching "ring tattoos." I don't see an issue with it.I guess I personally don't see myself regretting it even if I got divorced. It was what I wanted at one point and meant a lot to me then, I can't regret that later on just because it didn't work out.Call me crazy!
  • NMS I have to assume most people get married with intentions of not getting divorced but there are a ton of people that do. That would be a permanant reminder after a divorce. I'm not saying you guys will but if it happens.  
  • but how sh!tty would it be if Charlie Manson's mom had his portrait tattooed on her forearmhaha, i'm sure she loved her baby boy despite his short comings.
  • No way I'd do it, and neither would FI.  He's a plumber and won't wear his ring at work either.  It's a sweet sentiment though.Once upon a time, my old best friend and I thought ring tattoos would be a really cool idea when we each got married.  But with the divorce rate the way it is, there's no way I'd do it now.  Not planning on divorcing FI, but shiit happens.I'd want to be able to take the ring off, not my whole finger, or pay for expensive tattoo removal procedures.
  • I have always thought they are way cool and would love to do it.  :)
  • Not really a fan myself, having been divorced once, but I'm not morally opposed. Ben Folds "You to Thank" "By the time the buzz was wearing off, we were standing out on the sidewalk, with our tattoos that looked like rings. In the hot, Nevada sun. And they won't fade."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards