Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Colors... ugh.

So I thought I had all my colors figured out.  I was going to do orange and eggplant (kinda dark bluishpurple).  Then FI and I were going to have a "grapes" themed wedding.  (FI loves grapes... probably more than he loves me.)  However, for some reason I liked the idea, but I wasn't falling in love with it.

Then I saw a charcoal gray bridesmaid dress on tk that I fell in love with.  So I started thinking a carcoal and orange wedding would be gorgeous.  No real theme... just the colors tying everything together.  So I totally love the color scheme, but I still feel hesitant about it.  I want to wait until I go bm dress shopping and see what looks best on my bridesmaids to make a final decision, but I don't really need to think about bm dresses until next year.

The thing is... I want to get some diy projects done at some point and start having fun with wedding projects since I have all this time to get stuff done.  But that's hard to do without deciding on wedding colors.

So, essentially I don't know if I should just decide on colors and go with it no matter what, or go shopping for dresses way early so I know what colors to choose.

Anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice?  I know this isn't a huge deal or anything, but it's frustrating to feel like I have all this time and can't use it to my advantage.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

Re: Colors... ugh.

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think gray and orange sounds pretty, but if you don't love it...

I think at some point you need to just pick something and stop thinking about other options. Otherwise you'll just be stressing yourself out, second guessing every little decision. Talk to your FI, have a conversation about colors, make a decision, and just go with it.

• edited December 2011
    You could do charcoal, green and eggplant.

We are doing charcoal, orange and navy which look great. It was hard to pick though. FI actually made the final decision for orange and blue, then he stuck the grey/charcoal in later...
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    what about charcoal and purple?
    That is what I am doing with different shades of purple..
    here is my inspiration board
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Charcoal/grey and orange could definitely work!  Check out knottie debbieupper's wedding :)  It was absolutely gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    Colors for me were partially dictated by my space. The ballrooms of the Saint Paul Hotel is really golden, so gold became a color that's happening. I say pic out your location and let that be your inspiration
  • edited December 2011
    Why can't  you keep your original colors AND do charcoal grey? It is a neutral and I think it would look awesome. If you did that for a BM dress, the flowers could be dark purple or orange or both. etc etc
  • jmkaiserjmkaiser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree you could just incorporate grey into your original colors. FI and I are doing dark lavendar, sage, and grey. I love it but I'm using it as more of an accent color.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_colors-ugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:c62cf629-16ff-410a-9e9b-be4ad0333ca0Post:55b0d770-14d4-4f7a-b9c9-a83033d6f4ce">Re: Colors... ugh.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why can't  you keep your original colors AND do charcoal grey? It is a neutral and I think it would look awesome. If you did that for a BM dress, the flowers could be dark purple or orange or both. etc etc
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

Great idea!  I'd go this route!  = )
  • edited December 2011

You have had orange in all of your choices so just start doing your DIY projects with that color and pick your other color to match after you have gone BM dress shopping. I feel like if you tie yourself down too soon you will just feel like you want to change your mind because you can't...get what I mean? Just like me, I bought my dress within the first 2-3 months of being engaged so for the other year and 6 months I felt like I missed out on dress shopping and that I was tied down to my dress, which I was in love with, just was scared that I had made the decision too early.

FWIW...I love the idea of orange, eggplant, and charcoal!! Eggplant and Charcoal are subtle enough that it would all work together.

Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to jump on the orange-eggplant-charcoal bandwagon. I think that would look LOVELY. I almost always prefer triple-color color schemes anyway. It's more visually interesting and less prone to seeming too "theme-y" (I'm not a fan of overly theme-y weddings).

I had a sort of similar conundrum as you. Both DH and I love the color orange, and there's this chartreusey shade of green that I love and has become a kind of signature color for me (seriously, half of my wardrobe is this one color mostly by coincidence.) So I knew I wanted those two colors. It seemed perfect, because it was a fall wedding, and they're fall colors. Then, I got stuck on the fact that it seemed to pumpkin-y... and the idea started to sour on me.

So, I threw in a nice dark plum color, which at the same time strengthened the fall color scheme but also created the possibility for people to look at it and not instantly think FALL, since they're also all jewel tones and have a wider variety of mental connotations.
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for orange, eggplant, and charcoal!
  • MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  To be completely honest, I never even considered having all three.  Yeah... the things you don't think of... I was just worried about whether to put my bridesmaids in eggplant or gray (orange flowers are a must).  I guess I can use all 3 colors in my diy and just see what I like best as dresses when the time comes.  :)  Go figure.  I've been thinking about this for weeks, and the perfect solution was there the whole time.

So In Love

Planning Bio

• maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude... when you were talking about the orange flowers I got a little excited and ended up looking at your bio.Your flower inspiration pictures actually look a LOT like my bouquet. Makes sense, since I had a pretty similar color scheme.

Also, I didn't realize you're using the same venue I did! If you want ANY tips, ideas, recommendations, etc... let me know.
  • MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe, I LOVE your flowers!  They're gorgeous, and if you don't mind, I might save a pic on my computer to show the florist when I book one.  And I will definitely ask if I have questions about the venue.  If you have any random tips, feel free to share them.  I think my biggest concern will be the weather, but there's not much I can do about that.

And my bio is kind of a work in progress.  Weebly wasn't working right about half way through, so I just kind of stopped where I was and never found the time to finish things.

So In Love

Planning Bio

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards