North Carolina

Highgrove Estate & Ferrington House?

Highgrove Estate & Ferrington House anyone have any opinions? Pros & Cons of both? I'm having a hard time choosing! Thanks any opinions are appreciated.

Re: Highgrove Estate & Ferrington House?

• edited December 2011
    Have you considered The Sutherland? One of my BMs got married at Highgrove (as many other girls have so I'm sure they'll pipe in). Both venues offer a complete package so you don't have to worry about anything.The Sutherland is like those, but you can bring in your own caterer, florist, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Very different locations in my opinion and I do believe different price points. I don't know a lot about Highgrove (Bridget will though) but I do know about Ferrington. I LOVE Ferrington, but its pretty far out and there are only a handful of rooms at the Inn so your guests will have a bit of a drive to get to the closest hotel...
  • grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I liked both - but I felt like Fearrington was a little too rigid with their options for catering etc.  I think that you would have a gorgeous wedding at either facility.  Be aware that both of these are not in the most central of locations. 
  • edited December 2011
    let's see 30k vs. 10k. that drops the monthly price of your mortgage about $120 a month
  • jlindsey923jlindsey923 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From the booklet the Ferrington sent me it looks like it would be more expensive, with $60+ per person for catering in addition to the $7,500 Ceremony & Reception fee for the Barn which would be the only location that really "fit us" is def. more expensive than Highgrove. But with 100+ people currently on the guest list (and unfortionatly It just keeps growing and growing) I don't know if the highgrove will be big enough.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you really getting married more than 3 years out? ...because it could be a whole new ballgame then, new venues, different pricing, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Highgrove in Nov. of '07 and would highly recommend them. They did a phenomenal job with everything. The rental cost includes a DOC and your rentals and if you want to upgrade, you just pay the difference.They can easily accommodate 100 people. We had close to 100 people at our wedding and reception and there was plenty of room at the pergola for the ceremony and in the tent for the reception. I believe the Notes section of their website provides information about the numbers they can accommodate.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on when I return to the States it will be either 2011 or 2012 before the wedding, But I will be in Europe for the next year-2 years and my FI will be doing all the planning as I cannot from half way around the world. So my wedding planner suggested that I look and make a list now so my clueless FI could make my decisions.
  • edited December 2011
    If you arent getting married for another 2-3 years I don't think I'd be looking to book a venue right now. Your tastes and other things may change between now and then. I'd wait until about 1.5 years out, no longer than that.
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed - 3 years out, there may be new venues or the ones that are open now may shut their doors. I'd wait to book for a while. In fact, don't even have your FI doing any planning for a while. Save money!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortionatly I might not be able to do that. I know I wish I could wait but I wont be here to make a decision. My mother & my FI will be working together to figure everything out while I'm gone because he has his heart set on having the wedding on our original anniversary in 2011, which would fall 2 months after my return to the states (depending on my work assignments & how bad they need me). We were lucky enough to be allowed to video tape each walk through so I can later view them via skype & make a decision.
  • ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could still wait until a year out (whenever in 2010 that may be) and have plenty of time to plan. i booked my venue 1 year our and have already changed my mind and will be cancelling our contract. trust the ladies when they say that you will change your mind.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I leave in 3 weeks we are booking right now. We plan on making that decision later but maybe I'm no conveying this right. I will be in a remote town in the north country of Russia with no phone or internet access, working at a hospital from late August 2009-July 2011. I'm not making a decision before I leave but since I wont be able to have access to plan I have to plan now. I don't know. Maybe its easier for you guys to understand that waiting wont be a problem, but it is for me. Thanks anyways
  • edited December 2011
    You could also look at The Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill they can accommodate 100 people and it would give you a ton more options since you don't have to use ALL their stuff, you can hire whatever baker/photographer/florist you wish. Plus its not in the middle of no where like Ferrington or to some extent Highgrove.
  • edited December 2011
    Having gone to weddings at both places (and knowing that you want to book now), I'd go with Highgrove. They'll definitely be able to accommodate your guest list and they are much more convenient to get to.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, last post was supposed to say *aren't looking to book now*, but thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Highgrove last month and would be happy to provide you with a review. My email is Kellybeth124 at gmail.com
  • edited December 2011
    I would say that a major difference between the two is def. the price.  I just got married at Highgrove and it was awesome.  The staff is beyond exceptional and they make everything easy for you.  Can't say enough about Highgrove.  If you have a budget then I would def. go with them! 
  • momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Barclay Villa (Angier).  I am getting married there and they seem to be pretty good so far. They do have an exclusive caterer but it's reasonable and you can bring your own beer/liquor.  They have a contract with a hotel about 20 minutes away (Fuquay Varina) to provide transportation to the Barclay.It looks like a castle from the outside and is really beautiful inside.  We are having 200 people and they can roam the property and float inside and outside.  You can lock in prices for your year at this year's prices (We locked in for 06/2010 in 01/09).  Same with catering prices. 
  • edited December 2011
    I can't really provide much information on the two venues that you are asking about, but I do have to be the odd man out regarding when or when not to book - or even begin your search. I disagree with everyone telling you not to even start the planning process right now. Not everyone has the perfect 10-14 month engagement living in or very near the town in which they will be getting married, with a 9-5 job with an hour lunch break in which they can go run the errands they need to. Honestly, I wish I had been like that, because I envy those girls, but for anyone who has a long engagement, with a VERY hectic schedule, and planning from out of town - do things on your own time regardless of what other people's opinions are. Yes, you'll hear lots of "why are you worried about that right now?", but you'll also hear lots of "by booking now, I'll lock you in at the XX price". I had my venue booked over 2 years in advance and I got the 2008 prices for my 2010 wedding - savings of about $750. I also had every vendor booked with an entire year left until the wedding, so beside the DIY projects, I'm really pretty stress free - and I've also saved a lot of money with those vendors too. If you're like me, and know what you want for your wedding, go for it girl! And good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much keserzan! You have no idea how much that helped me. I was starting to think that I was crazy for looking and planning now. But thanks! We've been engaged for 2 years already, and just not getting ready (and having the funds ready) to start planning. With being out of school and finally having a stable job & career we are looking forward to starting the whole process. Luckily while I'm gone my awesome mom will be there to help my FI even though he knows me quite well and knows what I do and don't like, I think having a womanly opinion will be good for weddings sake! Thank you again!
  • edited December 2011
    So... you wont get to talk to your FI for almost two years?? :/
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I agree with keserzan.  I'm also overseas planning our wedding and I would much rather be planning it now than waiting closer to the date we chose in 2011.  Most venues in the Triangle have been around forever too so I'd be quite surprised if places like Highgrove and Ferrington House shut their doors any time soon.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    katherineUTC, I will get to speak with him every time I go to a major city, which would be about once a month. And via postal mail, which could take anywhere from 3 weeks to a month and a half to reach where I will be staying. So needless to say I can't really talk to him.
  • edited December 2011
    That's gotta be really rough, I'm sorry  :(
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like you have an incredible job opportunity though.  What exactly will you be doing? Oh, and I agree with keserzan - plan as far ahead as you want.  You didn't really ask us for opinions on that :)
  • edited December 2011
    I was just saying that things could change with pricing, etc...not to mention new staff at different places. I think we've witnessed on here that staff can make or break a venue. It was just my 2 cents, not bashing, and I'm a major procrastinator, so I can't bank on anything for next week, let alone 3 years out!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Right now I work as a labor & delivery nurse, but I'm going on a medical mission trip with a church and since I am a RN I can administer drugs & first aid and such. I am signed on for a full year, but if I am still needed at the end of my stay they may extend my contract and I'm getting paid almost double what I am here so we are using the money from that to pay for the wedding & honeymoon. Luckily my FI has a wonderful job that will allow me to save every cent I earn in Russia.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds really fulfilling and exciting.  Congratulations!  It is wonderful that your FI is so supportive..
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I guess I started the whole thing about not planning too far ahead. Unsolicited advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards