Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Picky eaters

Just to stir things up.  I'm not going to give my opinion on this because I'd like to hear what others have to say, but here is a situation for you:I have a cousin, and FI has an aunt and two cousins, who are incredibly picky eaters.  The situation we have run into is that although we'll be having an AMAZING spread at our wedding in October (I drool just thinking about the food sometimes), there is worry that these four picky eaters will find fault with it.We're pretty sure his aunt and cousins will be fine with it in the end, but are moreso worried about my 14-year-old cousin.  All four are vegetarians, but the type of vegetarians who don't eat vegatables because they don't like them.  My cousin, for example, lives off buttered noodles and cheese.While we will be having quite a delicious cheese tray, buttered noodles isn't an option at our reception, and she certainly won't eat our vegetarian option (which is eggplant something or other and sounds pretty delicious, actually).Some members of our families think we should ask the venue to make a special serving of buttered noodles, being that it's not a difficult dish to make and there is a restaurant within the venue.  Others think she should, so to speak, suck it up and deal.I'm just bord at work, really, and want to hear some opinions on this non-issue :)

Re: Picky eaters

• Options
    I hate picky eaters. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I think she should suck it up and deal.She's gotta learn sometime.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    I swear to god my cousin only ate cinnamon toast and pizza until he was about 16.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    14 yr old cousins mom should make her suck it up.  14 is a good age to start learning the world does not relove around you and YOU have to adapt. Cousins mom should also be given books on nutrition or turned in to the authorities because if all that kid truly eats is buttered noodles and cheese, gaurantee she malnourished.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cenglecengle member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Maybe I'm just a bad hostess, but my vote would be for them to suck it up.  She's 14? She needs to either learn to try new things or get over that she can't be catered to all the time.  Sometimes picky eaters just have to deal with it.But, as I said, maybe I'm just mean. 
  • Options
    " All four are vegetarians, but the type of vegetarians who don't eat vegatables because they don't like them."^^  This made me laugh.I think they need to suck it up and eat from the yummy menu that you offer!
  • Options
    They need to suck it up. Sorry. If you are having plenty of options (especiallly a vegetarian option), then the cousin should either eat that or eat before cousin. What is someone else sees the buttery-noodle-ness and decides they'd rather have it?
  • Options
    Nope.  They need to grow up and learn to make do.  As long as you're catering to the general fact that they're vegetarians, I think you're fine.  There have been a lot of weddings where I'm not particularly thrilled about eating rubbery chicken, but I do anyway.  14 is old enough to grow up and deal.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I blame her parents.  Having a special dish made just for her just reinforces to her that it's okay to put other people out based on your own craziness.  On the other hand, if you don't cater to her, more than likely she and her parents will leave early to get her some dinner.  I'm sure she has the type of parents who will be offended, seeing as how they're letting her get away with only eating buttered noodles.  If you don't mind if they leave early, then don't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my fiance is an extremely picky eater...but he loves crab, lobster, scallops, etc - he doesn't like the regs - sandwiches, gravy, anything cold... He would never EVER EVER say a word if we were at an event where he doesn't like the food. Please don't make anything special for them. They should be used to it by now.
  • Options
    She should suck it up. Don't put yourself in the position of catering to someone's whims. She can eat cheese. I don't get picky eaters. There's so much good food!!
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    I'm not so much a picky eater, but I know what I like and don't like. If I don't like something, I don't take it because I'll just waste it and feel bad. So, there are just some foods that I stray away from. As your guest, it would be nice if you could try to accommodate her. Just ask your venue and see what they say. If they can't make it, then she'll just have to eat cheese.
  • Options
    Some members of our families think we should ask the venue to make a special serving of buttered noodlesThat's ridiculous. Does this kid live on purely buttered noodles? Unless he is autistic and will only eat very specific foods I can't imagine why he needs a special dish.
  • Options
    I know a guy who is 25 and still will only eat cucumbers, pepperoni subs from subway with pretty much nothing else on them, and chicken fingers and fries.  God what a turn off.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Yep, the parents of the 14 year-old should be biitch-slapped for catering to this. She can suck it up and deal.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    Mandy: I get turkey and American cheese subs from Subway. That's it; nothing else on them. I have gotten so many weird looks and always have to say "Yes. That's it" when they ask if I'm sure.
  • Options
    I (and FI) agree with pretty much all of you with the sucking it up thing.I especially agree with the PP who blames the parents.  Not to go off on a tirade or anything, but growing up, the girl wouldn't eat more than half the meals anyone prepared for her, so my aunt would make her a separate meal that was something she'd actually eat.  Back then, it was usually hot dogs (with no bun, by the way) and ketchup.  She never really liked meat, so I can understand becoming a vegetarian, but then... she should probably eat some veggies?It's not our place to say anything, so we don't, but both my mother and I have been worried about what this girl is doing for her health at the age of 14, being that she's probably not getting proper nutrients, even if it's through vitamins.I also agree with the poster who asked where the line is.  If you give in to one, where does it stop?  Everyone will be wondering where their buttered noodles are (I love buttered noodles, FWIW).  We do have a separate option for young children, which my younger cousin will be taking advantage of, but it's chicken fingers.  Which obviously the vegetarian won't eat :)In my opinion (and FI's), we've offered enough options having four choices and a wealth of food at cocktail hour.  My mom was the one fighting me on this originally.
  • Options
    I'd say "suck it up and deal" on this one.
  • Options
    My sister was the same way when she was younger.  All she would eat was grilled cheese or plain noodles.  When we went to places that didn't have food she liked she ate bread and butter.  We would never dream of asking our host to accomodate her.  Your cousin can eat dinner rolls if she won't eat what is on the menu. 
  • Options
    She needs to deal. I'm a vegetarian -- but I'm not a picky eater aside from the "no meat" thing -- and I have been to plenty wedding receptions where my only meal was some overcooked veggies on top of limp lettuce leaves. Gross, but I didn't complain. I ate what I could, grabbed some rolls and ate dessert -- and probably stopped at Taco Bell on the way home! No exceptions need to be made for her -- she is plenty old enough to learn to eat different food or just go hungry for the evening. Extremely picky eaters make me crazy.
  • Options
    My brother is a picky eater, but near as bad as he used to be.  When he was younger, he wouldn't eat pasta sauce, so he'd eat buttered noodles when we had pasta.  This worked until we went to Italy in HS.  You can't really tell someone in Italy that you don't eat pasta sauce, so he ate it.  He's been eating it ever since.  Point being, if you're really hungry, you'll eat.  Also, hopefully she'll grow out of this soon.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    20 year old cousin also asked for just buttered noodles for her meal at the reception and her mom actually callled me to make sure I understood that was all she ate.The veggie dish was vegetable lasagne and that's what was served to her.  Don't know/don't care if she ate it or not.
  • Options
    Don't make their issues with food be your issue. Provide a reasonable vegetarian option as an alternative to your meat entrees. That's the only concession you need to make. Adults need to be adults. If they still aren't happy, they can snack before and after the wedding.I'm vegetarian and learned LONG ago to deal with situations like weddings. Sometimes it means only eating a salad, mashed potatos, and lots of appetizers. It's one meal. It's really not the end of the world if I don't get *exactly* what I want at someone else's wedding.
  • Options
    There are a lot of low income students and refugees at my school, and they often only eat one meal a day. When I see other students (and people) refuse food because they don't like something, it breaks my heart, because here are all these kids who would eat anything that was given to them. They are SO hungry, and they're horrified at what we throw away.For them, it's such an elitist, first-world thing, having the option to refuse food. And, I don't think they're wrong.
  • Options
    How ridiculous! Hellnoway would I cater to this madness. If they find fault with your menu, it'll be THEIR fault, not yours. Good grief! My older DD had a friend who refused to eat anything but grilled cheese, and her brother only ate chicken fingers. Their mom made three meals nightly: one for Girl, one for Boy, and one for Mom and Dad. What an idiot. She was over at our house all the time, so I got to where I would call ahead and tell her what we were having for dinner, so that she could eat before she came. She ended up eating with us here and there, and finally learned to like foods other than freakin grilled cheese. Her mom was shocked, because she was still demanding the g.c. for dinner every night!
  • Options
    The mother should be embarrassed that that's all her kid will eat.  She has a lot of nerve expecting someone to cater to her daughter's ridiculousness.
  • Options
    There are two very good reasons that this girl has reached the age of 14 and only eats buttered noodles.  Reason #1:  mom.  Reason #2:  dad.This l'il twit is not going to starve to death if she misses one meal.  Perhaps, just perhaps, if people didn't cave into her foolishness, she might learn to eat other things.You've determined the menu for your wedding.  If she doesn't like it, she doesn't eat.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I think just about everyone on here pretty much agrees that the kid just needs to get over her pickiness.  She's not always going to be able to eat just buttered noodles and cheese.My questions is, when the day comes, what is she going to serve at her wedding?  I can just picture butler passed apps of buttered noodles and chafing dishes filled with buttered noodles; all to be followed by a main course of buttered noodles with cheese.  How does one make a wedding cake out of buttered noodles and cheese?
  • Options
    How does one not get BORED OUT OF THEIR MIND eating essentially only buttered noodles?  That's my question.  I'd go completely batty with no variety.
  • Options
    She will just have to learn that the world does not revolve around her and she can not dictate special treatment everywhere she goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards