Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

North Hills/Surrounding Venue Help

Hey ladies, you all have been so helpful for me planning my brothers wedding coming up that a girl I ran into today asked me about helping her with hers and I dont know too many venues in the area she is looking...so I thought maybe you ladies can help me out with recommendations for her.Here are her details: She is having a vow renewal, they got married at a JP and now are having thier wedding. They want it very informal, so they are thinking a fire hall, or some place they can have the ceremony and recpetion in one place. They want to be able to bring thier own alcohol and catering in. It needs to hold about 250 people. There wedding budget is about $5000. Does anyone have any suggestions?I have told her:Boat House at North Park (but not sure how many that holds)Roebling Park/Coopers Hall in Saxonburgand Fire Halls (she called one that wanted about 1000 just for thier hall)So please anything would help. Looking to get married in Oct/November. Thanks ladies!

Re: North Hills/Surrounding Venue Help

• jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    boy you're just wedding planner extraordinare
  • edited December 2011
    There's another 'barn type' thing in NP. I would tell her to check that out. maybe someone knows what it's called - not the Rose Barn - I'm thinking about that one by the golf course.
  • dingdongnwifedingdongnwife member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not really, I get asked a lot because my husband works in the wedding field, so we come across a lot of people. But I do not put that on here, that is why I am not here much other than to help people we come across and to help plan my brothers wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, if your husband works in the wedding field the technically you shouldn't even be posting on here. BTW, your SN is still ridiculous.
  • edited December 2011
    Easy now, peeps. I know her and it is all ok. She asked me before if she could post as long as she doesn't advertise any services. She has just asked for advice. We can either help out or if not... no big deal. Kthxbai.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I heart you Molly. I still stand by the fact the name is ridiculous. ;)
  • New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sara, this board has gotten far too complacent without you :)Check out the Mayernik Center on Camp Horn Rd as well as the North Park Lodge and North Park Boat House (Boat house may be too small for 250 guests though). I'm not sure of the pricing, but the Hartwood Acres Mansion may fit the bill as well
  • d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jenn, I was totally going to suggest the Mayernik too (as I always do! lol), but I think this may be out of their price range. Plus, I *believe* it may only hold 200.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (totally agrees with sarah re: name)
  • edited December 2011
    I found a lot of firehalls to be between $750 and 1k just for the hall, which is a huge chunk of her budget. Could she consider a park or pavilion, that kind of thing? Or the church social hall?I'm confused as to why she needs a ceremony space instead of just a reception hall. Is she going to pretend to get married again? What year vow renewal is this for them? I think a nice wedding reception picnic would be casual, affordable, and classy without having to re-do the ceremony part.
  • d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused as to why she needs a ceremony space instead of just a reception hall. Is she going to pretend to get married again?Call me confused too, but isn't that exactly what a vow renewal is? A ceremony re-stating your vows?(Not being snarky, I swear!) :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know this isn't in the North Hills (which is why I didn't respond earlier) but my reception was at Gateway Hall in Monroeville. I didn't pay a base price for the hall- just the $ per person for food. I had a buffet with china, and it was $24.95/person (with tax and gratuity, I believe around $30). But now that I just typed all of this out, I realized it wouldn't work for you b/c it only holds 200. Sorry! But just know that there are firehalls that do not require a payment for the hall alone. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, Dori, no I didn't think you were being snarky. I was just confused because I generally think of a vow renewal as being after 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, etc. Or I think of it as being, when the couple has weathered a tough time, going and doing this privately.But the way the OP stated it, it seems like they just got married. I was under the impression that this was within the last year. So wouldn't you just have the reception? I just would be all kinds of confused if the bride walked down, was given away, etc, but they were already married. (Especially if it is widely known that they are already married) And if you're on a budget, why not just have the reception part?I guess I just associate a vow renewal as being after a long time and simpler, sort of like an anniversary party, I guess?
  • edited December 2011
    the boat house is too small- only holds 75 - but the lodge holds enough. I think it is around 300 to rent with booze permit. There is a barn in richland township that is nice too that is around the same amount (only beer and wine there). Brady's run has a lodge too. i think you already posted about betsy's barn. as far as north hills that is all i got living in the south hills. - Ive also heard of ppl having it in cascade park in new castle. GL
  • pugnpenguinpugnpenguin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not in the North Hills but on the North Side is the Pittsburgh Project. A beautiful inexpensive space. And a little further away in the city is the Union Project. Both can be rented for a thousand or less, can bring own caterer and booze and hold 200+ people. And you're giving back to the community!
  • d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kwynn, gotcha! Now that I read it again, I see what you mean. I had assumed that the wedding happened 10 years ago or something. But maybe it was recently. If it was recently, then yeah, I would just do the reception and not get married all over again...and the invites would be more like, "...ask you to join us in celebrating our marriage at a reception at..."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dingdongnwifedingdongnwife member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for the ideas, I sent them to her and she is looking into them. Hopefully she can find something to fit what she needs.To answer the questions about why they are having a renewal...they were planning thier wedding and she lost her job and she had medical problems so they eloped to a JP so that she could be added to his insurance, but they still want to have the wedding because she already has the dress, invites, and everything else ready. So it is going to be the first "real" wedding so they are not actually recommiting to each other they are having a regular ceremony this time with all thier friends and family there, since they had no one there when they eloped. But yes technically a renewal is done at 10, 25, or 50 years. Unless in a similar situation as above. Hope this helps explain a little.As for the name, it is a joke between my DH and I...it is a bit out there but it is one that people remember and it is unique so I loved him, but DH came up with it, it is part of our email as well LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards