California-Northern
Options

Wow

So, my aunt just called and left me a voicemail. She was wondering if she could bring her 3 children and newborn baby to our wedding. Um, I addressed it to Mr. & Mrs XXX, not Mr. & Mrs. XXX and family. And, if that wasn't clear enough, it clearly said on the RSVP card that there are 2 seats reserved in your honor. We are paying $100/pp by the time you include a linen, centerpiece, place to sit, food and drink. No, I don't want to pay $500 for your family to attend. I'm a witch, I know.She seemed to think that since the invitation said adult reception to follow, that she maybe couldn't bring the baby, but her other kids aren't 'little' anymore she said.Vent off. Sorry.

Re: Wow

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, that is so annoying!  Why are people so rude?! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree!  I can't believe people when it comes to RSVPs!  Seriously...most people have either planned a wedding or know what goes into putting on a wedding.  They have to understand what goes into inviting someone to a wedding!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BorovinkaBorovinka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - complete lack of consideration!!!
  • Options
    Roni.CedraRoni.Cedra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could see her asking to bring the newborn if she was still breastfeeding, but her other kids???? If you have it being an adult reception?? NERVY! I made mine with kids, and even that has most people NOT bringing them because they want a break.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Roni, that's what I told her. I said that my sister is looking forward to a date night, got a sitter, and is quite excited about it and she should think of it the same way.Oh, my mistake, the newborn is actually a year old now. Shows how long its been since I've seen them, haha.
  • Options
    OoSparklyOoSparkly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! I hate when they put you in awkward situations like this... I made the mistake of putting "adult only reception" on my invitations... I had an uncle who thought it was ok to bring his kid to the ceremony and then leave for the reception. I know this could make sense, but we had a destination wedding that they were going to drive hours just to attend the ceremony, then drive home after 15 minutes?? This was merely a ploy to bring the kid along - once they are there, how can you ask them to leave? They also refused to get a sitter when I gave them the name of a professional babysitting service because they don't trust anyone with their kid. He's 8. Weirdos... lol I clarified that it was an adult-only wedding and they ended up not coming (which we were glad... I won't get into the family drama outside of this particular situation).Long story short, I feel ya!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What a pain!! I can't believe that people don't get the idea after all of that - I can understand that some people these days don't realize the etiquette of following exactly who the invitation is addressed to, but when you say 2 seats on the RSVP card and note that it is adults only...that is a little ridiculous! And since when did an adult reception include "children" of any age - to me the youngest would be a teenager!Sorry to hear this, I hope it works out okay and you don't have a bunch of drama to deal with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While it totally sucks to be put in the awkward position of having to say no to her, at least she called and didn't just reply for 5 people!!  We had to call a douchebag co-worker of T's and say "umm...I'm really sorry, but we really cannot accommate your three kids at our wedding."  We had to make the call for several other family members as well, which was crappy.  I think I'd rather have to just answer the questions when they ASKED, then tell them "sorry you assumed, but umm, no."  And a co-worker thought it was okay for us!  A CO-WORKER!!!  I was like, this guy has GOT to be kidding me!  Hang in there.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh noes, Carrie. Here's the worst story I've heard:Invitations were addressed to only the adults.  RSVP card said 2 seats are reserved in your honor.  One of the groomsmen (who KNOWS it is an adult only wedding) crossed off the #2 and put a 5.  Then, he proceeded to write a note saying that they would need an additional 3 seats for their children.  The wedding is at a working yacht club on the Chesapeake Bay (in Maryland.)  It is obviously on the water.  Plus there is no beach at water's edge.  It drops off into deep water.  Needless to say, it is quite the opposite of a child friendly venue.  Plus they have no extra seats anyways, for children or adults.Guess who isn't in the wedding party anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stef, you are so right. It definitely would've been worse had they crossed it out and put 5, like Karena's story. That's just awful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards