Students

Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?

My FI and I are both ready to be married, even though we were originally going to wait until after graduation to tie the knot. I am an Education Major in MA and I have two more semesters (professional block &student teaching) after this summer. He has one more semester. We, however are  in no rush to graduate, and we are hoping to move to the west coast over the Summer and start our lives together there. I am done with this semester in early May and would love to have an intimate (read tiny and budget) June wedding and just get ready to ship out. I am going to finish my degree there and look into that further in terms of transferring credits, schools with similar costs, etc. I don't want my parents to fear that this is a way for me to blow off my education, because it's very important to me, and I don't mind taking a leave of absence. It's just that the area we live in now has no job opportunities  even with a good degree, and it is really expensive for young people to start out. The city we are looking into has much more opportunity and is less expensive, with a culture that suits us more.  My FI was going to head out there already because he had a job opportunity but really didn't want to leave me behind, so we're waiting at least until the summer. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation who could help? We don't want to break the news to our parents until  we are sure.
Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?

• My guess is that if you choose to transfer you will have more than 2 semester left. I transferred after my freshman year and it was a huge pain. Schools will only let so many credits transfer and they get to choose which classes from your last school will transfer and I highly doubt they all will. Different schools also have different requirements.

Honestly, I don't suggest it. Finish your degree then move.

• ditto what beth said, transfers are complicated and really stretch things out.  Take my advice with a grain of salt though, because I was the ultimate 'rush to graduate' student, got my BA in 7 semesters, and am ploughing through my masters program with the same force. 

I would just suck it up and stay where you are until you finish school.  Then, you can move, and begin your job hunt with the degree under your belt. 
  • Your fiance should move out to the city where you want to live, IF he has a job secured there.  You should finish up your degree--you have ONE semester left, which is like...nothing.  Being apart would be challenging, but it would only be 6-7 months at most.  Trying to transfer credits will be very difficult--I haven't done it, but I know a lot of schools want you to take the upper level classes at their University, so you could realistically be looking at 2-3 more semesters, rather than just 1.  
  • BunnyChiiBunnyChii member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    DON'T TRANSFER! Omg, I cannot even begin to tell you my horrifying issues with transferring....It took forever for the school to allow me to transfer and everyone was telling me different things about how it worked. Then I found out last semester after I talked to my advisor that I was missing tons of credits because my 4 credit classes only transferred as 3 credits, my anatomy class didn't count as a lab even though they told me to take that specific class, etc, etc. Huge headache.

I vote finish up your degree since you're almost done anyway.

EDIT: I should add that I had to transfer since I started out a community college and then moved on to a university. But it was still HORRID.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I would not transfer. No way.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Don't transfer! Many schools limit how much can be transferred (often no more than 60 credits), meaning you could lose an entire year's worth of study. Many schools also require that a certain number of upper level/major program classes be taken at the degree-granting institution, which could also make you lose credits. I'd say to tough it out and finish where you are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Transferring is a nightmare. Don't do it.

• Like everyone else has said, it will probably be better to stay where you are unless you don't mind having to repeat a year when you move.
  • Ditto on what the PP's said: Transferring = awful. A few people I know have either transferred to my University or to another and it's complicated and annoying. You are so close to graduating it'll worth it to just wait. 

Plus, you don't have to go to college where you want to get a job anyway. We're in PA but my Fiance and I will probably be getting jobs in NYC or New Jersey.But, if you are looking to move, as an Education major I'm assuming you've made sure that you'll take the Praxis and such where you'll move to or that your teaching certificate from MA will be applicable where ever it is you move...? 

It'll probably be a little stressful/hard/etc to plan a wedding and move soon after the wedding but it's going to be easier and worth it in the long run if you just graduate then get married and move. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_finish-school-wait-married-leave-area-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d31061e4-a02b-497b-884a-2608be591ae9Post:08f645a7-98ed-4070-b6da-200ce6641cd2">Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto on what the PP's said: Transferring = awful. A few people I know have either transferred to my University or to another and it's complicated and annoying. You are so close to graduating it'll worth it to just wait.  Plus, you don't have to go to college where you want to get a job anyway.<strong> We're in PA but my Fiance and I will probably be getting jobs in NYC or New Jersey.But, if you are looking to move, as an Education major I'm assuming you've made sure that you'll take the Praxis and such where you'll move to or  that your teaching certificate from MA will be applicable where ever it is you move...?</strong>  It'll probably be a little stressful/hard/etc to plan a wedding and move soon after the wedding but it's going to be easier and worth it in the long run if you just graduate then get married and move. 
    Posted by Bay21[/QUOTE]

As another education student - this isn't necessarily true. For example, NY does not use the praxis; you'd have to take an additional seminar and take the NY state teaching tests. Additionally, each state that uses the Praxis test sets pass scores  individually ... so you might pass for NJ, but not have a passing score in, say, Virginia. Many states do have equity, but there are hoops to jump through first and it's worth researching that before you commit to moving to a specifc state so you know how long it will take to get a certificate in your new state.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_finish-school-wait-married-leave-area-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d31061e4-a02b-497b-884a-2608be591ae9Post:94041f6e-3670-489c-87c5-9e698ac356fb">Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first? : As another education student - this isn't necessarily true. For example, NY does not use the praxis; you'd have to take an additional seminar and take the NY state teaching tests. Additionally, each state that uses the Praxis test sets pass scores  individually ... so you might pass for NJ, but not have a passing score in, say, Virginia. Many states do have equity, but there are hoops to jump through first and it's worth researching that before you commit to moving to a specifc state so you know how long it will take to get a certificate in your new state.
    Posted by xxstardust[/QUOTE]

<div>This ^^^ is what i was trying to say I just don't know as much about Education requirements! But yeah just be sure to look into it before making the move! :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_finish-school-wait-married-leave-area-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:d31061e4-a02b-497b-884a-2608be591ae9Post:1756a962-b3e8-46a6-ba8d-34e369b5db34">Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My guess is that if you choose to transfer you will have more than 2 semester left. I transferred after my freshman year and it was a huge pain. Schools will only let so many credits transfer and they get to choose which classes from your last school will transfer and I highly doubt they all will. Different schools also have different requirements. Honestly, I don't suggest it. Finish your degree then move.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

This. Very much this. (Except I transferred after sophomore year)
  • If you all are ready to get married then I say do it. I was in a similar situation I graduate from GSU this year and my husband and I were orginally planning a wedding for Septmeber of this year after I graduated, but we were sooo ready to get married that we did what felt right to us and I'm sooo happy we did, because at the end of the day its your life and you should do what ever makes you happy. 
    Mrs. McSwain :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_finish-school-wait-married-leave-area-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d31061e4-a02b-497b-884a-2608be591ae9Post:49b295e5-1735-4e26-9a85-ea555875b516">Re: Finish school or wait and Get married and leave area first?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you all are ready to get married then I say do it. I was in a similar situation I graduate from GSU this year and my husband and I were orginally planning a wedding for Septmeber of this year after I graduated, but we were sooo ready to get married that we did what felt right to us and I'<strong>m sooo happy we did, because at the end of the day its your life and you should do what ever makes you happy</strong>. Posted by emarble1[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how we feel about it. We decided together over the past few days that we are going to stay here until I am finished. I have actually transferred <strong>twice</strong>! The first time was from a community college and it was a breeze, but the second time was not. so. great--I had changed majors. After giving it some thought it would be just too crazy to do all of that, and to be even further behind just for a bachelor's degree. BUT we still want to be married anyway, so as soon as we find something to pay the bills and a nest closer to home we will start planning a small wedding. I am just in such a rush to be married to him! Perhaps we will go to the west coast eventually, but for now it's more than I can handle.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We just had the same discussion wait or get married. We had alot of older married couples told us how the two things they regret the most is waiting for the prefect time to get married or have kids. I finish school in May but he has another year. We ultimately decided to move the wedding up a year to before he finishes, but he doent have to transfer, because I'm moving to him. I am not sure how much of a pain transfering is but it is honesstly up to you and if the good out ways the bad for you two
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards