California-Los Angeles
Options

walk down aisle WITH FI???

Has anyone out there chosen to walk down the aisle with their fiance? We are really thinking about doing this, especially since we've chose to do first look pictures before the ceremony. My father most likely won't be here to walk me down and I've never believed in the "giving away" thing because I believe that I am independent of my parents and not a possession. So my thought is for us to enter the marriage "together". Thoughts?

Re: walk down aisle WITH FI???

• Options
    veevixxnveevixxn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    since you are looking into other options, would you consider walking down the aisle with your mother instead? i know the significance of the father walking the daughter down the aisle, but it's so archaic IMO. i was raised by my mother and if anyone has any right to "give me away," it should be her!we considered walking down the aisle together. in the end, i decided to walk with my brother.  it just felt right to me to walk with him, as it's always been the two of us growing up together. btw, july, i'm very sorry about your dad drama. it's sucky and petty. kudos to you and your FI for looking into other solutions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was walked down by both of my parents even though I have major drama with my dad.  I say do whatever feels right to you...it's your day!  :)
  • Options
    julybm08julybm08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought about having my mom walk me down but she's going to be a basket case. She'll boohoo the whole time. haha I think my mom is more excited about the wedding than I am.
  • Options
    jfarr6jfarr6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousin walked down the aisle with her FI.  I say do what works for you!
  • Options
    jewwellyjewwelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always walk down the aisle by yourself and then have your FI meet you half way. That way he still gets to see you walk down the aisle which is special even if you have done a first look. BTW my grandpa walked me down the aisle because my father passed away when I was young. If you don't want your mom to do it (since she's a basket case) you can pick anyone who is significant to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well in my case my father is still around and we sorta get a long it depends what day of the week it is, maybe I'm exaggerating but we do have our difference from time to time. But I'm super excited to have him walk me down the aisle. But my dad is super shy and HATES to be the spot light so if he really doesn't want to do it at the end I would ask my bro to do it, and for some reason he wouldn't I'd have my mom and if she doesn't I'd do it by myself. Besides them I dont see anyone else worth "giving me away". I say do whatever feels best for you, and pick the person who is most significant to you, btw isnt ur FI that person, uhmmm your marrying him :)
  • Options
    chiweeweechiweewee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    July-Even though I didn't do it, I think it's a very cool idea. I say break with tradition and do whatever feels right to you. It's your wedding and you won't be any less "married" if you don't go with the "norm". I was just reading a photographers blog last night and a couple that they shot recently walked down the aisle together and the groom only had his two sisters stand up with him (no GM's). And I don't think that your mom crying while walking you down the aisle is a bad thing. It's a natural thing at weddings and just adds to the touching emotions of the day.
  • Options
    julybm08julybm08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I may like the idea of him meeting me half way down the aisle. I have to think about this all for a bit. Maybe I'll ask my mom what she thinks. Maybe she really wants to walk me down but hasn't said it. Being this close to the wedding is making my brain melt. ; )
  • Options
    jessebeljessebel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I walked down the aisle alone and met my husband halfway for the rest of the walk. Considering the situation I dealt with earlier that month, I felt it was not only poignant but the most honest representation of us (entering marriage at my own free will, connecting my then-FI, and entering marriage together as a partnership. Don't make your decision based on other's feelings just what feels right to you. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i originally wanted my brother to walk me down the aisle (my dad passed away.) one of the first things my mom said to me after we got engaged was "so does that mean i get to walk you down the aisle" all excited. i was just like "oh ya know haven't got that far" so then i decided fi & i would walk down together, it would be very "us" now my brother has expressed how much he'd love to walk me down the aisle, so i'm so confused. ok ok back to question. i think walking down w/ your fi would be great & very comforting.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Jessebel, do what feels right to you and FI and no one else. Like you said, take some time and you will find the answer for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dad has a unique way of pushing my buttons as in he has the uncanny ability to say the worst possible thing in the worst possible way in the worst possible moment. That said, so far he is walking me down the aisle.  But if he really blows it between now and April then I am walking down the aisle alone--this isn't to be cruel but he has given me a lot of unnecessary grief over the years.  If you want to walk down the aisle with your FI, then go for it.I don't see anything wrong with it.  Some traditions have the groom waiting at the foot of the stair area to the altar and then the couple walks the rest of the way together.I can't see why anyone would criticize you for choosing to walk the entire way.  Just because something is uncommon doesn't make it wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the answer is pretty clear. Do whatever you want! It's YOUR wedding! I should tell my parents that.
  • Options
    julybm08julybm08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    phiaska - that was cute. you having family drama too? I think what I may do is have FI meet me half way. I'm indecisive about everything and I'm sure I'll change my mind 5 million times between then and now but that's probaly what it will come down to. Thanks for all the advice girls. i can always count on you to let me hem and haw over everything. ; )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards