Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Dress Shopping this Saturday (advice?)

Well I'm wedding dress shopping at the Wedding Shoppe on Grand Ave this Saturday with my mom, sis (MOH) and one of my bridesmaids.  I made the appt, she asked my approx size etc.  I'm on a budget though, would it help to call and give her my price range before we get there?  I'm not willing or can't spend over a set amount.  I wasn't sure if they had some dresses ready in your specific sizes already before you get there or if asking my size was just one preparation for them.  Any other suggestions on what to bring?  I thought about heels, some body flattering undergarments (yay, nay?)

Re: Dress Shopping this Saturday (advice?)

• kersteaskersteas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea to tell them your spending limit, just so they don't bring you something you love but can't afford.My biggest advice would be to try on lots of styles, and also make sure that you feel pretty when you go - put on some makeup, do your hair. If you feel and look good, you'll be in a better mood! :)
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that heels are really necessary as most of the dresses will be way too long anyway and then you'll just be tripping over the dresses as you get in and out of them.  Wear a strapless bra/bodysuit if you have one.  Whatever you wear, it should be something you won't mind your guests seeing as its just one room for everyone.  If you plan on wearing your hair up, then I would put it in a ponytail or something up to give you a better idea of what it will look like, too.  And make-up.  You might sneak some pictures (TWS doesn't really allow this unless you buy the dress though), and you'll want to look nice in them.  Also ask what they have on sale.  I got a great deal on mine. And most of all...have fun!
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with PP, try on LOTS of different styles! You'd be surprised what you fall in love with and also, make sure you feel like "you" in the dress. I bought one dress that just wasn't me and ended up buying a second dress a few weeks later!
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should be fine telling the person your budget when you get there. Tell her NOT to show you anything over that amount. You don't want to fall in love with something you can't afford!Wear a strapless bra, and wear boyshorts or something. My friend told me how embarrassed she was wearing her teeny tiny sheer thong to her first bridal appointment, not realizing how much time she'd be spending naked in front of the person helping her! Of course, if you don't care about that person seeing you naked, then it's no biggie :)I agree with PPs -- try on EVERYTHING, even if you don't like how it looks on the hanger. Also, it could help if you wear your hair up or down, depending on what you plan on doing for your wedding. It will help you visualize the whole picture :)
  • megs2460megs2460 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have lots of fun with it.  I went to the Wedding Shoppe about 2 weeks ago and found my dress there!  They ask your size because they will bring you into a room with dresses in your size to try on.  If you have been looking at dresses online feel free to tell them if you are interested in trying those on too!You don't need to tell them about what you want to spend till you get there.  They will ask you too.I had a girl named Misty that helped me and she was awesome!Have fun and good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and to answer your other questions:   Heels: no Undergarments: yes- they have strapless bras there if you want to use there's, and wearing a body slimming undergarment like spanx or something really helps putting on dresses and taking them off! 
  • edited December 2011
    I would be up front about your budget- they see brides every day and know most of them are on a budget. Bring a strapless bra but not heels. Also make sure you try on everything and anything- I just let the sales lady, my mom and sister (MOH) pick out dresses for me and I stayed in the fitting room. I just couldn't tell what any of them looked like in the bags so I said give them to me and I'll try them on. I gave basic instructions for what I wanted and color and price and stuff. Have so much fun!! You'll know when you find the right one.
    imageimage
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP's, but also would say consider heels or "tall shoes" if you'll wear them for the wedding. I'm 5'3" and I wore tall heels for the wedding, and I also wore them when trying on dresses because I wanted to see what the dress would look like on the "taller" me.Sure, all the dresses are too long anyway, but it does make a difference how the dress looks in heels vs no heels.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the wedding shoppe they give you a box to stand on while you look at yourself in the mirror so you can see what it looks like when it's fit to your size!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards