Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Honoring parents who have passed.

My parents passed away about 8 years ago and I am trying to come up with ideas on how to honor them during the wedding ceremony. Does anyone have ideas that they have used or seen that do not bring the mood of the event down?

Re: Honoring parents who have passed.

• I have a friend who got married last year. Both of her parents had passed when she was 10. At the ceremony there were 2 chairs in the front row. One with her mother and one with her fathers photo in a nice frame along with a rose on each chair. It was a very classy way of honoring them without bringing a lot of attention to the fact that they were only there in spirits. Also, sorry for your loss.
  • I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. My dad died almost 2 years ago, and I'm getting married in February. We're going to have a little table set up in memory of him. A couple pictures as well as a candle and something that says "In memory of.." We're also thinking of adding a moment of silence before the reception starts... I like the idea of having the officiant say a line also, we might do that instead fo the moment of silence now that you all gave me the idea :)
    Vacation
  • I feel for you.  I lost my mother 7 years ago in a car accident and my dad just passed away 2 1/2 years ago from lung cancer.  We are having a traditional Catholic Wedding Mass and during the Mass there is a section called the Prayer of the Faithful where special intentions are announced.  We decided to write our own and announce them ourselves.  We are including a special mention of our parents and grandparents who have passed.Then at our reception, at the cake table, we are putting a bunch of pictures including our engagement picture; our parents wedding pictures; and our grandparents wedding pictures.  Sort of a display of the combining of both families - but still a recognition of those who couldn't be there in person.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards