Oregon

rehearsal dinner - invite all out of towners?

I'm wondering how people who have a lot of out of town guests have handled the rehearsal dinner. All of my fiance's family and most of our friends will be traveling for our wedding. We'd like to include them b/c they are coming from so far, but that means the RD will have the same number of people as the wedding. Does anyone have recommendations on affordable ways to handle this or creative alternatives to a dinner? We have 125 guests.

Re: rehearsal dinner - invite all out of towners?

• FutureACEFutureACE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had this problem too. we limited it to strickly just immediate family. grandparents, aunts/cousins, and wedding party. this solved the problem of saying yes or no to certain friends...family only! we had ours at stanford's on jantzen beach and it was amazing. they reserved the outside just for us and we got food/pop/cheesecake/salad/tip all for $20. if you don't already have a place i'd look into it. contact is john roth.
  • edited December 2011
    We too are in the same situation. But since the majority of the out of towners are my family, it would be a very skewed party if we invited everyone that was out of town to the rehearsal dinner. So, for the rehearsal dinner it's close family (aunts, cousins, grandparents) and wedding party.THEN, on Sunday, we're having a brunch, come stop by before you go, for the out of town people. This way everyone kind of gets a chance but we won't end up with three wedding-sized parties. Our rehearsal dinner is going to be a BBQ. With an actual guy bringing a huge grill, chicken, steaks, the whole deal. And it's suprizingly affordable. May want to look into having stuff brough/picking up stuff and bringing it to your house.Or, try the two party deal.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We actually did invite all our out-of-towners, in-town immediate family, and anyone who was going above-and-beyond to help us with our wedding day to our rehearsal dinner.   With the out-of-towners, I figured that it's so rare we get to see them, much less have all of them in one place, that I wanted to make sure I got to spend as much quality time with them as possible.We did a backyard bbq for our rehearsal, which made it possible to have a larger group.  It was a great time, and I didn't have to wear shoes.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I would think trying to do something low key like a BBQ so you could have all of the out of towners together the night before would be a good way to invite everyone.The wedding day goes by so fast so having all the OOT peeps together the night before is great for catching up!
  • rosechildrosechild member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem, and went with similar solutions as previously posted. We limited it to immediate family and wedding party. We are having ours in a banquet room at the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown Portland.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards