Connecticut

Mahan's Lakeview Wolctt need opinions

How did you like it? How was the service and food? What was included in the price. Where you happy with the overall place?
BabyFetus Ticker TTC since 11/2010 Me-32 - Cervical Displacia -Lymes Diseease DH-32

Re: Mahan's Lakeview Wolctt need opinions

• Mary MeMary Me member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't get married there, but my BF did in 2007. It was a very nice place, they were married in the gazebo and the WP had their own cocktail hour- while taking pics. Food was good and the DJ was also good. I don't know how much pp they paid, but I know that their min was about 150 for Saturday afternoon wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    getting married there in 57 days, so i;'ll have more to say after that! everyone we've met who has been to a wedding there says "oh! that place is great- the food is awesome!" when we went to see it, we just fell in love with the place, we really wanted an outside ceremony, and this has a perfect plan B by having a gorgeous chapel on premisis(can i tell you how many places think its an acceptable alternative to walk across your dance floor if it rains and the ceremony cant be held outside???) they dont have discounted prices for off times of the wekeend, but they have diff minimums based on what day you pick- ours is only a 100 person minimum since we are doing a sunday(but if you pick a sunday of a holiday weekend, it behaves like a saturday, but kevin did offer us the option of marrying on a monday of a holiday weekend, like if we had wanted to do labor day monday, it would have been sunday prices). they have alot of diff options for dinner, they have a buffet, a sitdown, and a stations option. we chose the buffet cause we wanted to do the venetian table(an extra $10 a person), and our base price is 78.50, and then tax and gratuity are included, so i think our grand total is $112 per person which is def not bad since it comes with a DJ(one less thing to think about), a limo for beforehand(antique limos gave us a great price on a town car for after), open bar the whole time, centerpieces for all the tables, decorations for the gazebo/church(we are having an onsite ceremony- $250 extra), champagne toast, champagne fountain during cocktail hour, and a wedding cake. we really like the idea of the buffet, not only cause it was cheaper and allowed us to get the ventian table, but its the same entree choices as the sitdown, plus theres carving stations with ham/turkey/roast beef...so instead of guests having to pick entrees, they can sample each. they donate the leftover food to local soup kitchens after they feed the staff, but if you get the venetian table, you are actually entitled to take home all the leftovers. we didnt really do alot of negotiating because when you accounted for the included extras, this was actually a better price than tunxis country club and a couple others we had thought about. im sure i forgot something in my ramblings, but if you have any other questions, ask them here or page me on the boards(im may be a little slow in getting back to you, cause its my bachelorette tonight - YAY!!!- so i wont be around much) also, page Lalee, she got married there maybe a month ago....
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married there in April 2010. I fell in love with the chapel. Love the windows and view. Also I loved the idea that the DJ speakers are in the ceiling. I hate when you are at a nice function and you have to look at big black speakers, and with my luck, I am always sitting right near them. I think Blondie covered most of the rest of the great things about Mahan's. I will be attending a wedding there on 9/13, so I would be able to give more opinions after that. I would suggest making an appointment with Kevin to view Mahan's and see what you think. I liked the fact that the limo, DJ, cake, centerpieces, champagne fountain, birdcage (for cards) was all supplied by them and included in the not so expensive price.
  • edited December 2011
    The PP have pretty much covered it all. Our wedding was pretty flawless because they only do weddings there so they have it down to a science. We had sit down meals and everyone loved the food - our choices were filet mignon, chicken kiev, seafood newburg, and the vegetable stir fry. There is a TON of food so I was pretty full by the time my main meal came (and I hadn't even eaten all of the other courses) but they gave our guests the option to box up their leftovers if they wanted which I thought was nice. I think our prices for the meals ranged from $81.50-89.50 per person and like PP mentioned, that includes the DJ, limo, cake, etc. We used the chapel for our ceremony which was beautiful. I would definitely check it out. I was so not stressed because they handle everything so nicely there. Ray, the coordinator, is such a sweet, easy-going guy and will definitely do what he can to make your day the way you want it. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them for you.
  • Erin&MikeyErin&Mikey member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to a wedding there Sept. 5, so I can let you know how everything was after that!
  • edited December 2011
    oh! i forgot! if you book an offseason wedding(i think after nov 1), theres a free honeymoon involved as well, but i think if you do the buffet, you dont get to partake in that offer.
  • Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we fell in love with mahan's. it was between mahan's and cascade for our final choice, and finally went with cascade for just a few reasons. One was that our wedding is in January, and we worried that people would have a hard time getting there/getting back home if it snowed because it seemed so out of the way (we're used to living in a town with two highways running through it). I was mostly worried of having people driving back after a couple of drinks in the dark and trying to find their way home, especially if its icy out. we loved the chapel, and if you do book an off season date, they are extremely accomodating. Not to say that they arent for an on season date. Off season, they were willing to let us pick any range of hours, and were flexible with everything. we also loved that everything was included...DJ, cake, limo, centerpieces... and we loved the champagne fountain idea. also, as blondie had said, there is a promotion with a honeymoon for offseason dates. but, shes also right that they dont do it for the buffett package. i think that for the buffett, including tax and tip, it was $105, and the stations were $125. I'm not sure about the sit down because we didnt even ask about it. These are also off season prices.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I checked this place out (well almost did) when we were looking at venues.My big complaint was the area and the route to get to Mahan's. You have to drive through this crappy section of Waterbury. We ended up turning around and cancelled the appt. There was no way in hell I was having my guests drive through dump to get to my wedding. I'm sure the food and view are excellent once you get there...
  • edited December 2011
    i take it you followed 69? cause its not as bad when you go through the northside if you come from the west(that was how the gps sent me) if youre coming from the east, you follow 322, and you never go through waterbury
  • edited December 2011
    went to mahans today. It was nice...but i also saw the Waterview in MOnroe which was awesome! We live by Wolcott so its not  a bad drive, and the drive to mahans is pretty scenic. Booking an appointment to both of us to view the inside together. Ive already been to a wedding there and now the deal. The website doesnt fo this place justice!
    BabyFetus Ticker TTC since 11/2010 Me-32 - Cervical Displacia -Lymes Diseease DH-32
  • jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blondie - we got off right at Waterbury Mall and then went down some side roads. It just looked kinda shady with all these shady people walking around! I feel bad thinking this but I just didn't want my guests to have the same thought!
  • edited December 2011
    You definitely went the wrong way. What site did youend up booking?
  • edited December 2011
    I like Mahans and the Waterview in Monroe. I just do not like how far it is off the exit and how far the hotels are.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah you definitely can get to Mahan's without going through that section. I think that may be one way Mapquest will take you because it's probably the shortest time but you could have your guests take different routes that aren't hard.
  • edited December 2011
    yup, thats how mapquest sends you. when youre coming from the west the easiest route is to go up rt 8 and over through huntingdon have to get there, if youre coming from the east you never hit waterbury
  • edited December 2011
    I liked Mahans (FI not so much). I wasn't so worried about the area as much as the seemingly really long drive down curvy back roads. I'm all for the scenic route but we could picture our guests from NY saying, "Where are they taking us?" We did get lost so maybe that is why it seemed out of the way.
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I was wondering what she was talking about Mahan's is out in the country. Guess she took a different route. Okay pros and cons. The food is some of the best in the industry and the chapel is to die for. I have heard that the lighting in the chapel can put a bit of a strain on the peoples eye's watching the ceremony if it is bright out  though since they are faced toward a huge window. That said the positives out weight the negatives as the place is awesome looking.  Also, the tv's in the ballroom are a bit obtrusive and distracting. The DJ comes around and takes photos of everything and plays them on the screen and sometimes they aren't the best photos which can be embarassing to a guest if they are up there looking stupid.
  • edited December 2011
    Our guests got a kick out of it but you could definitely ask him not to put up pictures if you don't want him to. If you use Fallon for your photographer, they'll put your wedding photos up on the screen instead. I know of one bride that asked them to cover the screens completely and they did it. I think they came in handy for things like the cake-cutting because people could watch it from their seats. I do agree I wasn't crazy about when they had us on the screen for a few moments while we were eating, I was just waiting to spill something on myself, haha. That would just be something you'd have to request they not do ahead of time if you didn't want it.
  • Sammie112587Sammie112587 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married there in May! They so far have been amazing! Its soo convenient that the price includes almost everything! I've also heard nothing but great things about service, food, etc...! I would definatly go with Mahan's!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards