Kentucky

Girl on Groom's side?

My sister's FI's best friend is a girl. I've mentioned to her that lexington is a conservative area and that it may detract from their wedding because people may be talking about her instead of them. His friend is planning on wearing a female taylored suit. She gets mad at me when I mention that since she is both of their friends, that she could be in the bridal party. Not to mention that shes said that their friend loves being the center of attention. Am I crazy or do I have reason to be concerned? I just want her day to be perfect.

Re: Girl on Groom's side?

• edited December 2011
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. But she doesn't have to wear a suit to be on the groom's side. My FI's best friend is a girl, so she's standing on FI's side and wearing a black dress that matches the bridesmaid dresses.
  • juliev101juliev101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. She should wear a dress like the BMs...that would be less distracting than a "female tailored suit".
  • edited December 2011
    At my wedding, we joked that our mutual BFF should be ordained online...clearly she belonged in the middle as she was important to both of us. However, I really have to say that I don't feel Lexington is THAT conservative. While I am a little hesitant on the tailored suit (I've seen groom attendants wear the same dress, but perhaps in black), it is their decision and you should embrace it.  I would have to see said young lady and suit together to form an educated opinion...in theory it sounds spendid.  Every bride gets to plan the wedding of her dreams and include the people that are most cherished to her and the groom.  Stay out of her plans.  If people want to talk about how weird that is, they are shallow and narrow-minded.  I do forsee a conversative minister having a slight problem with it...but that's just because I know the mindsets of these small-town Kentucky churches.  This isn't one of those "she wants live flamingos coming down the aisle before her" scenarios.  Back off and let her do what she wants to do. And in fact, it's becoming more and more common.  Times they are a-changin'. 
  • PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the biggest concern is that their friend loves being the center of attention. I have been to weddings where women were part of the groom's party, and they wore black dresses to match the tuxes (the one I'm thinking of in particular was at St. Paul's downtown--pretty conservative) instead of matching the bridesmaids.
  • emmajoanemmajoan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see any problem with a woman on the guys side! My DH's sister was on his side and it didn't detract from anything, and it was very important to him, so it was great. She wore the same dress as the bridesmaids, but in black.
  • edited December 2011
    What a blast from the past!  Hey EJ...how is married life treating you?
  • ebonyskies49ebonyskies49 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best friend is getting married and they have a woman on the grooms side and their baby girl is going to be on the grooms side to even things out.... Not even her over the top Mormon mother cares.
  • edited December 2011
    I was "best man" in a wedding once and I wore a black and white dress that looked great with the guy's tuxes. Yes, it did get a bit of attention, and people were talking about it, but not in a bad way. And, I certainly hope it didn't distract from the bride's day - I didn't feell like it did at all.
  • edited December 2011
     I just went to a wedding two weeks ago in Lexington where the best man was a girl.  It was not distracting at all.  And she wore a black dress.  I think it is not weird to have a girl, but it would be wierd if she was wearing a suit.  Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards