Maryland-Baltimore

catering question

Any suggestions on questions to ask the caterer when  you go for the first sit down meeting??Ways to get the price pp lowered without sounding "snarky"?

Re: catering question

• edited December 2011
    Price PP usually depends on the type of food you get. Depending, if it's a buffet or sit down, the prices also change. Also, we are bringing our own alcohol which brings down the cost. Make sure you ask them if linens, tables, and chairs are included.
  • edited December 2011
    Negotiating on pp cost doesn't really apply here (in my experience). Like pp says, you can adjust the price by adjusting the options (sit-down vs. buffet, number of apps, passed apps vs. stationary apps, etc). A few questions to think about are:1) What is the pp cost? Is bar included? If not, what is the pp cost for the bar?2) Do we pay separately for servers/bartenders?3) Is gratuity included? Is there a service fee?4) Are linens/china/flatware/glassware included? Are upgrades to these items available?5) When is the final headcount due?6) What vegetarian options are available? Childrens options?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • knc503knc503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure if you are having children at your wedding, but we are and we made sure to ask about the prices for the children, and if we could get special meals for the kids.
  • ruffian99ruffian99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a budget that we didn't want to go over. When we met with caterers, we stressed that we wanted to keep costs down and gave our range. Then, when they came back with #s well above that, we negotiated. We ended up having them take 4k off the total without changing the proposal a bit.It is worth mentioning, though, that I knew our budget was very low for the caterers we were meeting with. If it hadn't been, I would have been very careful about giving them a price beforehand.
  • DLCLIDLCLI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask if the tasting is included and for how many people!  One place we looked at told us to come to their bridal show (which is not cheap) in January -- our wedding is on OCTOBER!!  10 months before?  We never looked back at that place.  The venue we picked -- included in the price and up to 6 people!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards