Maine

Looking for a barn for a budget wedding!

My family is from Caribou and his is from Lovell, so despite living in Massachusetts we want to have our wedding next autumn in Maine. I've been looking around for a barn to hold the reception in, but I'm not having much luck and was hoping that you ladies could be more help. We're trying to stay under $8k and our guest list is very small (around 50-65 people so far), so I was hoping that this wouldn't be so far. Decoration aren't important, I'm a pro at DIY and floral arrangements, but I just cannot seem to find anything in our budget range. I'm not picky so if you know of, have heard of, had a wedding at, went to a wedding at a nice clean barn please throw me a bone here! Thank you to all of you lovely ladies!

Re: Looking for a barn for a budget wedding!

• i am getting married at the chandler house bed and breakfast in new gloucester and they have a big beautiful open barn tht i am having my reception in!! for the barn and the guest house it only cost me 1100 dollars. my wedding is next october and they are booking fast. so if u are interested then u should contact them soon. they are super easy to work with! and i am so in love with my venue!

www.chandlerhousebedandbreakfast.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Chandler House is actually the first one I found on my own, and I love it and the woman who was so sweet when she emailed me back. I was hoping to find a couple more to broaden my choices, but I'm really thinking that I'm going to go with them. :)
  • im obsessed! my wedding is one year from today and i cant wait to have it there. i fell in love with it instantly and the owners are AMAZING to work with!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For those that are getting married at Chandler House B&B.... I'm curious how you scheduled your wedding around the 9:30pm curfew? The woman told me there is a noise ordinance in New Gloucester which requires all events inside and out to end by 9:30pm.  Don't think this would work for an early evening ceremony? Thoughts? Thanks in advance;)
  • im not planning on partying all night long. im having an early afternoon ceremony and then reception right after. music has to be off by 830. which is fine with me. if you are planning on partying all night then its not the place for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To those of you ladies who have used the Chandler House Bed & Breakfast, I have a couple of questions for you! Just trying to narrow everything down so we can find our location soon!

1. How was the fact that you have to rent Port-a-Potties received by your guests?
    2. How much did the Port-a-Potties run you?
    3. How many guests did you have and how well was the space for your wedding?
    4. Where did you have your ceremony? On the premise, or how far out from the reception?
  • 1. How was the fact that you have to rent Port-a-Potties received by your guests?
    my wedding isnt til next october but the porta potty situation doesnt really bother me because they have luxury ones that have sinks and mirrors with them. which are the ones that i will be renting. they also flush. so they are a lot cleaner then your typical porta potty.
    2. How much did the Port-a-Potties run you?
    the one i am getting i believe is around 1000 or a little less.
    3. How many guests did you have and how well was the space for your wedding?
    i am having around 100 guests. the owners say only up to 120 are allowed in the barn. and as for placement of tables and such thats something i havent figured out yet but im sure will be fine.
    4. Where did you have your ceremony? On the premise, or how far out from the reception?
    my ceremony is going to be right on the premise in the field. so i am having everything right there which will make it easy for my guests from out of town who arent so familiar with the area.

hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • <div>Thank you so much, this did help a lot! I hadn't really looked into types of Port-a-Potties, but you put my heart at rest knowing there is a much better version than what comes to mind. I'd love to hear how your wedding goes, since we're head over heels with this venue but aren't going to be checking it out until next year (plans got pushed back!). Hope all goes well for you and your wedding, have fun!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_looking-for-a-barn-for-a-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:d3951cd6-181b-4a74-8d85-7a54409f00bbPost:0a65c018-877a-4caa-877b-69dff57da7cf">Re: Looking for a barn for a budget wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. How was the fact that you have to rent Port-a-Potties received by your guests? my wedding isnt til next october but the porta potty situation doesnt really bother me because they have luxury ones that have sinks and mirrors with them. which are the ones that i will be renting. they also flush. so they are a lot cleaner then your typical porta potty. 2. How much did the Port-a-Potties run you? the one i am getting i believe is around 1000 or a little less. 3. How many guests did you have and how well was the space for your wedding? i am having around 100 guests. the owners say only up to 120 are allowed in the barn. and as for placement of tables and such thats something i havent figured out yet but im sure will be fine. 4. Where did you have your ceremony? On the premise, or how far out from the reception? my ceremony is going to be right on the premise in the field. so i am having everything right there which will make it easy for my guests from out of town who arent so familiar with the area. hope this helps!
    Posted by joellennitsche[/QUOTE]
  • Try Wolf Neck Farm in Freeport, Maine! They have a barn that I am doing some day-of-wedding coordination for.

Myra is a dream to work with.

Hope this helps!

Kristina
    www.purpleorchidevents.biz
  • Shady Hill Farm in New Gloucester!!!!  check out their FB page.!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_looking-for-a-barn-for-a-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:d3951cd6-181b-4a74-8d85-7a54409f00bbPost:027e10f9-ec7f-4f9d-85e2-05f3eb36382e">Re: Looking for a barn for a budget wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]To those of you ladies who have used the Chandler House Bed & Breakfast, I have a couple of questions for you! Just trying to narrow everything down so we can find our location soon! 1. How was the fact that you have to rent Port-a-Potties received by your guests? 2. How much did the Port-a-Potties run you? 3. How many guests did you have and how well was the space for your wedding? 4. Where did you have your ceremony? On the premise, or how far out from the reception?
    Posted by Princess Cthylla[/QUOTE]

1. My guests were fine with it. The onyl problem I had is that the lights that we had going for the porta pottys went out all of a sudden almost right when it was getting dark and I did not find out until the next morning because no one wanted to bother me with it. (Wish they had. People peed in the dark all night)
    2. I used Associated Waste Services out of south portland. It ran me around $250 for two "Country Classics" which came with a pump sink and didnt look like those fugly teal ones you see at sporting events.
    3. I had around 120-130. Honestly not sure!. It worked well. The only issue I had was that my husbadn wanted to make sure anyone under the age of 50 was downstairs. So with them and the immediate family downstairs it was a little bit crowed. I wish I had put more people upstairs.
    4. I had my ceremony on the premise.

You can take a look at the photos. There are pictures of everything from the ceremony to the cake cutting. Let me know if you have any more questions.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.digiproofs.com">www.digiproofs.com</a>
    password beane2012

Also as for the 9:30pm thing. They are okay with yiou playing the music a little longer as long as you turn it down every like half hour. I went until around 10:30-11ish. Another girl that I talked to that got married there had her's until like midnight. They are pretty good with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards