South Asian Weddings

Makeup inspiration?

I feel like I'm all over these boards these days! I am on summer vacation so once school starts I will be on here less and less...so I have to ask now :) Where did you ladies get your inspiration for your makeup? I have darker skin (kind of like queen latifah's skin color) I have been looking up Indian Wedding makeup and Sri Lankan wedding make-up and it keeps showing me lighter skin or just crazy overdone girls. I want my eyes to stand out the most since I usually use heavy eyeliner to begin. I'm afraid that when I ask them to do my makeup they won't understand and it's easier if I just show them a picture.

Re: Makeup inspiration?

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I googled for pictures but most of what I found was for heavy over-done super desi makeup.  I think your best bet is to start the search for makeup artists in your area (SA or non-SA).  Check our their websites, and once you're about 4-6 months out you can start booking trials (earlier if it's someone that typically books up quickly).The makeup artists will have a ton of experience with different skin tones and should be able to advise you on what will look good.  Any makeup artist worth his/her salt should be able to look at you and know what would make you look good and what would make your eyes pop
  • edited December 2011
    I found pictures of Frieda Pinto and showed that to my makeup artist but since I'm a little darker than her, we just played around until I found something I liked.
  • edited December 2011
    Opposite to you, I have extraordinarily pale (Irish) skin.  I found most make-up websites (SA and non) to show girls with heavy make-up that would be ridiculous on me.  I found it most useful to think of actresses with skin tones similar to mine (for me Cate Blanchett, for you Queen Latifah) and then google image search them.  It won't give you "typical desi" make-up, but sounds like you don't want that anyway.
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm like you, WDC, and was wondering what to do about it since make-up artist just asked for pictures.  thx for the idea!
  • edited December 2011
    Great suggestions...I am also stalking everyones bio...I have gotten a ton of inspiration pics from them.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • SmithaandMikeSmithaandMike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found this link and I really like it but the girl who may be doing my makeup has never done Indian style wedding makeup. The local people that do Indian makeup don't travel and you have to go to their salon so I am still trying to figure it out myself. http://www.racquellacson.com/portfolio/wedding.php?id=2&cur_num=1&page=12  
  • edited December 2011
    Update! I just purchased the recent Asiana magazine from barnes and nobel ($15!! for a magazine!) but I had to buy it because there was a whole section of like 10 different makeup styles for the color and type of sari. I found one style that was just perfect so I splurged the 15 dollars...just a heads up!
  • neha1683neha1683 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey ladies, for those who don't have the asiana magazine available to them (like me, we don't get it here), I found the following blog site with scans of the make-up from there. Also in general, this is a pretty good blog for SA brides.... http://thesaricladbride.com/2009/07/asiana-magazine-bridal-images-scans-part-1/HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards