Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

BYO liquor and Self/outside Catering?!?

Hello Everyone,

We are planning on having a reception for our MN family and friends in February 2012 after our January Maui wedding.

So, considering how much we are spending on Maui, we would like to do a cocktail-type reception back at MN.  Ideally, we would not mind choosing our own wine etc since we are quite the wine lovers and can get discounts throughout the next few months.

Also, we are blessed with multiple family members that LOVE to cook (I am quite the foodie myself) and have offered to make some posh appetizers and light food fare for our reception.

Enter the problem, I have have not been able to find any venues that will allow us to cater it ourselves!  Does such a place exist? Or at least, is there a caterer that is pretty malleable to what we would want?

Thanks!

Re: BYO liquor and Self/outside Catering?!?

• edited December 2011
    Check out the Three Rivers Park District.  They have many locations that you can bring your own food into.  Not so sure about the liquor part, though.  Here's a link to their indoor locations...  Click here!

I know Profile Event Center lets you bring in your own liquor, although I'm not sure about food.  There are quite a few PEC brides here that would be able to better speak to that.  Here's their link... Click here!

Good luck with your search!  = )
  • edited December 2011

PEC will only allow alcohol to be brought in, they are pretty strict about food.

• edited December 2011
    Check out Four Seasons Dance Studio. It is located behind Bar Lurcat and you can bring in your own food and alcohol.  I used it for my graduation party and it was a fun space. 

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a quite a few church halls that will allow that... although the spaces aren't always the most aesthetically pleasing :)  My old roommate had their reception at St. Patrick's in Inver Grove Heights and I know that they made their own food (for 375 people!!!) and am pretty sure that they brought in their own liquor, too, that was served by the parish men's group (they used the tips as fundraiser).  Also, PNA Hall in NE Minneapolis is pretty open for catering and liquor as well as the Dayblock building in dwntn Mpls?
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's pretty easy to find BYO liquor venues than it is to find places where you can self-cater. A lot of places want you to have some sort of reputable or licensed caterer... since they don't want smoebody's Great Aunt Ida's Deviled Eggs to give everyone food poisoning on their property. It's a liability thing.

My wedding was at the Historic Courthouse in Stillwater... and they allow BYO beer and wine (as long as you don't have your guests bring their own) but you do have to use a professional caterer. Honestly, if you're just doing appetizers and light fare, you could probably get a really good price from a caterer... and it may be a whole lot easier than trying to coordinate a bunch of relatives bringing in food.

If you want to find a caterer that's really flexible, I'd recommend looking for restaurants that cater... not 100%-full-service-caterers. We used Brasa, and they will bend over backwards to make sure you're getting only what you want and only spending what you want to spend.
  • MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_byo-liquor-selfoutside-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:8a1e65e1-d690-46ce-8ab5-50233f098eb7Post:e4180f01-0e65-402d-9b64-43f935b7ff1b">Re: BYO liquor and Self/outside Catering?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check out Four Seasons Dance Studio. It is located behind Bar Lurcat and you can bring in your own food and alcohol.  I used it for my graduation party and it was a fun space.  <a href="http://www.fourseasonsdance.com/rental-room.shtml" rel='nofollow'>http://www.fourseasonsdance.com/rental-room.shtml</a>
    Posted by quincygirl77[/QUOTE]

Awww!  I love Four Seasons Dance Studio.  I had a few group ballroom dancing classes there (great price, btw), and it's such a cute space!  Although, parking around there sucks.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_byo-liquor-selfoutside-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:8a1e65e1-d690-46ce-8ab5-50233f098eb7Post:3c3e4bbb-5944-47c0-9a72-510e78d3b7c6">Re: BYO liquor and Self/outside Catering?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYO liquor and Self/outside Catering?!? : Awww!  I love Four Seasons Dance Studio.  I had a few group ballroom dancing classes there (great price, btw), and it's such a cute space!  Although, parking around there sucks.
    Posted by MrsBassPlaya[/QUOTE]

<div>It is such a cool space and perfect for getting in the mood to dance :)</div>
  • rade0120rade0120 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THanks everyone! SO helpful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards