January 2012 Weddings

Job advice

I have been working for my current employer for about a year, I do human resources. I took the job because of the opportunity to gain the HR title and to learn more about HR. My previous job I was essentially an office manager, so I did a little bit of everything. I really do miss the company I used to work for, the benefits and the people.

I enjoy what I do but do not care for the comapny I work for. They have made some decisions that I morally thought was wrong. They are very reactive company and not pro-active company. The HR team has spent the last year trying to make progress and we have made some but most days it still feels like we are still hitting walls constantly.

I may be getting a job offer to go back to my old company doing what I used to do. I have been working for the company to cover a maternity leave and as luck would have it there will be an opening coming up at another location very soon. I have a meeting with the director there to see if we are a good fit and if all goes well the job is mine. 

I am having an internal debate about career growth vs stability. I've always been in a job to get the skills I need for the next job, I've always been aiming for the next thing.  However, now that I'm married I feel my priorities changing. I want a job that is going to be there, pay well, provide good benefits and allow me to be a mom.

I also think Im already feeling bad for leaving my boss, she has been great to me and I'm the one HR person who doesnt give her a hard time. I have a feeling they may try to counter an offer, which makes me feel even worse.

If you were in my shoes, what do you think you would do?
Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Job advice

• It's hard to tell you what to do but I must say that you need to do what will make you most happy. I have come to believe that happiness is the key to life. If the new job opprotunity seems like it will be good for you then take it and leave your current job. You really do need to be in a job that will put a smile on your face everyday!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • That is so true Tara! I would be back in assisted living and seeing those residents everyday definitely puts a smile on my face!
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I think you absolutely need to take this new(old) job. You seem so happy just talking about it. You really will be a better wife and mom to be happy at your job.
  • What about the possibility of doing HR at your old company?

As for feeling bad about leaving your old boss, don't.  Company loyalty doesn't really exist anymore.  It's what they use to keep you from leaving because they'd have to go through the expense of hiring someone else and training them.  If it came to them having to cut you for some reason, don't think they'd hesitate.
  • The way my previous company is organized there are very few HR only positions and they are at the regional level. Right now I feel I don't qualify for that position (and well it hasn't been open for years) Not to say that's not something I couldn't strive for in the future.

You're right about companies not hesitating to kick someone to the curb if they don't have the money. Especially in this company. I've had to lay off at least 7 people since I've started here.... I'm not confident all of them were for financial purposes either.

We shall see how meeting with the ED goes on Saturday. Meeting him and seeing the community will tell me a lot of what I need to know.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone!
  • edited February 2012
    I recently left a job I was only at for 15 months because I had issues with the organization's ethics and philosophy.  It eats at you the longer you are there.  If the old job made you happy and it is open, take it from me, your sanity and happiness are worth more in the long run. Even if the old job does not pan out, you may want to start looking elsewhere.  My new job is fantastic and aligned with my work ethic and professional philosophy and I could not be happier.  Well, I mean I'd be happier if my paycheck were a lot more, but right now beggars can't be choosers.

However, I would have to agree that loyalty is not a good reason to want to go back.  I made that mistake once when I was young - ONCE.  It ended up burning me in the end and made me miserable. 
    "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with Alyssa too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_job-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:fbbd0335-be7e-422a-9c08-9c1482cb843aPost:88cb78ec-887e-4cfa-ac8d-f8c224e5ff31">Re: Job advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recently left a job I was only at for 15 months because I had issues with the organization's ethics and philosophy.  It eats at you the longer you are there.  If the old job made you happy and it is open, take it from me, your sanity and happiness are worth more in the long run. Even if the old job does not pan out, you may want to start looking elsewhere.  My new job is fantastic and aligned with my work ethic and professional philosophy and I could not be happier.  Well, I mean I'd be happier if my paycheck were a lot more, but right now beggars can't be choosers. However, I would have to agree that loyalty is not a good reason to want to go back.  I made that mistake once when I was young - ONCE.  It ended up burning me in the end and made me miserable. 
    Posted by SportsBear47[/QUOTE]

I agree about the ethics eating at you, I find it hard to want to be associated with a company that makes decisions like my current one does. I wouldn't be going back to my old job due to loyalty alone. The job is good, the people are good, and decisions are made for the right reasons.

I have pretty much made up my mind as to what I am going to do. I received a call from my boss this morning that was none to pleasant. Apparently I am supposed to be a mind reader and know what's going on, even if people don't tell me.

Thanks again everyone!
  • I talked to the regional business manager yesterday and she basically said the job is mine and they are just waiting for me to say yes. Smile I am so ready to go back "home" to that company!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards