Nebraska-Omaha

disappointing my prego bridesmaid....

so my sister, who is one of our bridemaids informed me a few weeks ago that she would be pregnant at my wedding. she is not currently prego, but they want to start trying around sept. and wedding is in may. i have no issue with this, I can't wait for a new niece or newphew, I always think pregnant women in bridal parties are a great way to remember the other wonderful events that come in a couple's life. My issue is that she then informed me that I would have to pick an empire waisted bridesmaid dress, for everyone, to best flatter her baby bump. The BM dresses I like aren't empire waisted, and I have looked alot...I just kind of feel like she's out of line....She wouldn't say that to a friend, and now I feel bad cause she's not going to get what she wants, but at the same what about what we want? and I don't think the only dress that would look good on a prego is an empire, I think they could be beautiful in anything, it just might take some alterations:) What would you do?

Re: disappointing my prego bridesmaid....

• lindy.linderlindy.linder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggest you take her shopping with you and ask the people working the store what they have for maternity BM dresses. Another option is to get BM dresses in all the same color but have them pick the style. That way the BMs can all pick the style which is most flattering on them. Honestly BM dresses don't need to match and if she would feel most comfortable in an empire waist dress why not try and get her one?Yes she was out of line to demand you get all of your BMs empire waist dresses but honestly you are not going to care on your wedding day if their dresses are empire waist or not.
  • thejennygirlthejennygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my sister said the same thing to me-we are going to be trying to have a baby in a few months so by your wedding i will be 6-7 months prego-it didnt happen they ended up getting prego on my wedding night lol. my advice is to just pick out a color that has lots of different dresses (i.e. davids bridal) so each bridemaid can find a dress that works best for them. Good luck!
  • njh514njh514 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly- it's not always as easy to get pregnant as some people thing. She can hope that she'll be pregnant at your wedding, but there is that chance that she might not be pregnant or my be just newly pregnant and not have a huge baby belly. Pick a dress that YOU like and she'll make it work no matter what is going on in her life at the time. She needs to chill.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should go shopping with her as well.  Have you asked your BMs at all what kind of dress they would want?  I was just a BM in a wedding and had to pay 160 (plus alterations) for a dress that I wasn't a big fan of and honestly will probably never wear again and I'm still irritated about it.  However, one of the BM was about 6-7 months along and looked fine in the dress.  It was a short, strapless dress.I think you should think seriously about picking a color and designer (and even short or long) and let your girls pick whatever dress they want and everyone would be happy.I also agree with PP who said you aren't going to notice what the dresses look like on your wedding day.  You'll be way too happy to care about details like that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a similar issue. One of my bridesmaids is going to be 7 1/2 months pregnant at our wedding. When she found out she was pregnant I didn't have dresses picked out yet. She kept sending me pictures of dresses that came in maternity sizes as well as regular sizes. That bothered me a little. It's my wedding and I wanted to find something that would work for everyone not just her. I didn't really like the ones that she picked out. Finally I found a dress that I fell in love with. When I showed her the picture she didn't think it would work for her. I think we would have been fine by ordering a few sizes bigger with extra fabric. But I understood her concerns. I was able to order extra fabric (to match the other bridesmaid dresses) and someone is making her dress. It looks different which is completely fine with me. I am just happy that the fabric is all the same. I would suggest waiting awhile until ordering dresses to see if she does get pregnant. A good option is to pick a color and let the girls pick a style. I would pick something you want. Alterations can always be made. You could always have the other girls in the same dress and let her wear a different style. Everyone will know that she's pregnant. If she is your maid of honor you could even have her wear a different style and different color. Everything will work out fine.
  • dbrym1dbrym1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2 of my 4 bridesmaids will be pregnant for my wedding - one will be 8 months and one will be 9 months.  I am having our dresses made so the seamstress just altered the general design of the dress to be a maternity dress.  Not sure if that is an option for you but it is working great for us b/c she won't even start on their dresses until like 2 weeks before the wedding to make sure they fit their baby bellies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards