Canada

Toronto reception venue - am I looking for the impossible???

Hi Guys!I am currently looking for a venue in the GTA (preferably fairly central, but I am open to others too). I am looking for a non pillar/crystal chandelier banquet hall and I don't think that they exist!!! I would like to have a modern wedding venue without a lot of frou frou (patterned carpets, crystal chandeliers, huge staircases, etc.)Does this exist?? HELP!

Re: Toronto reception venue - am I looking for the impossible???

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might sound weird but I looked at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre and they might have what you're looking for. It's quite minimalist with a very modern, clean 'zen' feel. [url]<a href="http://jccc.on.ca/rentals/index.htm" rel='nofollow'>http://jccc.on.ca/rentals/index.htm</a>[/url]
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS. I found this place through a caterer I was considering at the time, Ginger Island. If you haven't found a caterer yet, consider making contact with the venue THROUGH them. The caterer may be able to help you negotiate discounts with the venue if they have a relationship with each other.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Atlantis Pavillion at Ontario Place is very modern, they have 4 halls to choose from, and great views of the city/ or lake.
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem! For my guest number 250 and up it was almost impossible - but finally I found a place. I booked with the Westin Prince at York Mills and Leslie. Super neutral ballroom and nothing gaudy. You can also do your ceremony outside which is a big bonus!
  • trishinkstrishinks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went through the exact same thing. I saw a ton of places and felt like I would not find the right place. I also really liked Atlantis Pavilion!Good luck with your search!
  • brittanywestbrittanywest member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at The Fermenting Cellar, it is super modern and unique. Only thing is taht you have to rent everything, but you get to create your perfect space! www.thefermentingcellar.com Hope you love it!  
  • edited December 2011
    To Preppysailor and trishinks - where are you guys having your reception. Ring_pop thank you so much for the suggestion!! We have a site visit next week and we are looking forward to it. I am also seeing Atlantis and Solarium this week. Bwest - how expensive is the fermenting cellar? I don't think that it will fit into our budget, but I have put it on the short list. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • trishinkstrishinks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ssaeed...I'm having mine at Atlantis. I also looked at the Fermenting Cellar, and Solarium.  They were both beautiful but waaaaayyyy out of my budget. Atlantis was just what I was looking for (a view of the city and lake) and none of the frilly stuff for a price that I could afford.  I believe the fee for the space at Solarium was around $7,600 (I think) and then you would have to cover the cost to rent furniture, and then hire catering staff...A good friend of mine had her wedding at The Fermenting Cellar and it was gorgeous. She did have the funds for decor so it looked amazing. Again, she had a cost for using the space around $5,500 I think. And then you would need to rent furniture...I also looked into Canoe. I was originally looking at having a Sunday wedding and they required that you spend a minimum of $7000.  I think Saturdays the minimum is $14,000. The only downfall for me was the fact that the bar would be based on consumption.  I needed a bar package with a set price.I hope this helped!
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't right in Toronto, and haven't booked it yet, but really liked The Waterfront Centre in Hamilton, it's a lot closer to most of our guests.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Panorama 51st floor. It's ultra-modern and beautiful. Not sure if that would work for you - ours is only 100 people, so if you needed something to accomodate more poeple it might be too small.Check out http://www.eatertainment.com/events_and_catering/venues/They have pictures of all their venues. Most are downtown, and there are a lot of "non-traditional" venues.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Eglinton Grand? It's a really cool venue and very modern!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EuroPrincessEuroPrincess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're having our reception at pavilion royale no crystal chandeliers here since they have a big skylight over their dance floor in the starlight ballroom on second floor pavilion royale, atlantis and eglinton grand are my recommendations and they are all run by same company, dynamic hospitality only downside is that bcuz of the ownership they are very corporate and have alot of "rules" we're finding it a little tricky, we're both portguese and used to "our" weddings being done a certain way, but we wanted to try something diff since most portuguese weddings are done at same halls over and over
  • LevenahLevenah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'ere getting married at The Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club Not many people know about it, but it's fantastic. right on lake ontario with huge glass windows and a balcony over looking the lake. you can google it and see pictures. Although the ones on the website don't do it justice! Very simple and modern! Post on my page if you want more details :D
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Guys! We looked at Solarium, but it's WAY out of our price range, and they may book a concert at Sound Academy (the floor below) the same night as your wedding!! No, thank you. We went to Atlantis and LOVED IT! It is def. the frontrunner so far. We are also going to visit Palais Royale soon. Thanks for the Rowing Club idea - I will look into it. I should probably mention that we are having a rather large wedding (250 people) so the space would need to fit at least that many. Thanks for the advice! We're still on the hunt!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ssaeed - when are you getting married? We looked at Palais Royale when we got engaged in April this year - it looks great with all the renovations they did. The only problem was that they were already booked up for every Saturday from May-October 2010! I thought that was crazy! One of the rooms in the Liberty Grand is really cool - there are the regular ballrooms which are very nice, and then there is this one with poured concrete floors that looks more like a dance club or a chic place for a dinner party - definitely check it out! Good luck with your search, anyway - keep us posted! :)
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I see you are aiming for June 2011 from your profile - lots of time to snag a great venue! By the way - it's called the Artifacts Room in the Libery Grand.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips Littlin. We are actually looking at Palais Royale this Saturday, so I am hoping I like it. While I like the idea of the room at the Liberty Grand, I think that would put my decor budget way out of whack. I guess it doesn't hurt to look though. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's what I thought too about the room at the liberty grand - it would take a LOT of decor because it is just a bit empty room with poured concrete floors. I didn't have the budget for it, but definitely a cool space.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards