Iowa-Des Moines
Options

License?

I've noticed a lot of girls on my Month board have already gone to get their marriage licenses. Can anyone tell me how it works for Iowa? I'm confused about that whole process. TIA!

Re: License?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if it varies by county.  In Polk, we went to the county administration building with my mom, then we filled out a bunch of paperwork.  The guy then asked for IDs from all of us...  and my mom didn't have hers, so we called Dad and he came to be our "uninterested party" witness.  I think the step of getting a replacement witness isn't required, though.  :-P  Anyway, we paid $35 (maybe a little more or less?  I don't remember) and they gave us a packet with the license and more paperwork.  Be warned that there is a 3-day waiting period, so you can't wait too long to get the license.  But as far as I'm aware, the license doesn't expire, so you may as well get it sooner rather than later. 
  • Options
    Lemons653Lemons653 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also have it mailed to you and sign it before a notary public with your fiance and witness.  Then you mail it back, and you have to go pick up your actual license from the courthouse.  We went with this option cause we aren't able to get to the courthouse anytime besides the weekends, which of course, they aren't open. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, you just need four days for the waiting period and you're good.
    Married 08.22.09 Ryan 01.07.2011
  • Options
    estrella27estrella27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're just getting our license and we're getting married next week, so I think you're good on time....lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We waited until a month before, so you are good!
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are applying for ours this week, just so we don't keep putting it off and forget about it.  We are still trying to figure out who our witness will be. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards