Wedding Etiquette Forum

Questions about Judaism

I know the all-knowing MrsE isn't here, but I have some questions.  Do the Jewish believe in hell? Satan? They won't say God's name? I'm Christian, but I like to learn about other religions. Actually we are watching "the unborn" and there are references to Judaism. Anyone want to teach me?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Questions about Judaism

• Dang, maybe E shoulda been here.
  • Ha, I was just thinking that.  I don't know any of those answers.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    What is the unborn?
  • I always wanted to tell E that she's not the only person on the knot who has knowledge of Judaism... maybe be is, at least at this time of night.
  • The unborn is a movie that FI ordered on on-demand.
  • No Hell/Satan (or, contrary to popular belief, Hannukah Harry)...and most people would type it out as G-d. Other questions? We enjoy bagels (with lox), noodle pudding, and a good department store sale.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Doesn't Amoro know a lot about a wide variety of things too? Is she around?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • It's 4:46am in Italy, so no Amoro. Although it's 3:46am here and I'm in P&E.
  • Lyss is right...we don't believe that there is a heaven or a hell.  Also, most write it out G-d just out of respect, kind of like not saying His name in vain.  The Jewish Board could help you out with very specific answers!
  • Ha, thanks lyss. I also enjoy a good sale. And I'm confused, no heaven either?   
  • So youre asking someone that said, "no thank you" when her parents asked if she wanted go to Hebrew School, but no...I dont think we have any of it.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • I gotta work tomorrow, so I'm gonna shower and go to bed. But I will read any answers tomorrow.
  • This might be helpful in your understanding: http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_afterlife.htm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • The G-d thing goes to when people write torahs. If G-d's name is ever misspelt the page of the torah has to be buried. This has lent itself to it's current incarnation where it's considered wrong to every erase or remove G-d's name, so by putting in the dash the word can be erased and we're not doing anything wrong. The heaven/hell thing - yes heaven, no hell. Just a purgatory-like state. Hope this helps!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • no hell, yes heaven, yes Satan (book of job is actually where the name first appears), can say god but he has like 77 different names, usually called adonai, the name can be written out in english but is abbreviated in hebrewi did have to go to hebrew school (mom's jewish) but i also had to go to lutheran confirmation class (dad's lutheran) they wanted me to make my own choice and i just never did.  it's too much fun having double the holidays!any other questions?  i've got judaism and lutheranism covered, but i'm a bit rusty on catholicism and islam ;-)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

It's Always Sunny on St. Paddy's Day
  • The God's name thing actually applies to the Hebrew name.  God has a real name, and he says it to Moses in Exodus, but the only time anyone can say it ever is when the high priest says it in the inner temple on Yom Kippur.Since there are no priests, there's no Temple, and the Jews don't even have control of the Temple Mount, no one says His real name ever.  In fact, since the Hebrew in the Torah is written without any vowels, no one really knows how it's pronounced anymore.  His name is still written out all the time in the Torah, but every time someone comes to it, they say "Hashem" in prayer (which means "the name", I think), and "Adonai" in normal speaking (which means "Lord", I think).A pp was correct about destroying any piece of paper with God's name written on it -- there are even graveyards for old and incorrect Torahs.If I got it wrong, someone correct me.  I'm not Jewish!
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that his real name is what some Christians say is "Jehovah" and what others say is "Yahweh".  Neither can be positive that that's what it is since the vowels are not present. (Although, I hate to have to say it, but there is no "j" sound in Hebrew.  Maybe in ancient Hebrew, but I'm not sure.)
  • noone, you've actually got a bit backwards. "Adonai" is for prayer only, and not to be used casually. "Hashem" (which does mean "the name," you got that right) is the placeholder when speaking casually or practicing prayers in Hebrew school but not actually praying. And nope, no hell, which came in handy the time a born-again Christian told me that I could be just as wonderful as Mother Theresa, but that if I didn't accept Jesus as my lord & savior, I was bound for hell. I just told, brightly, "That's OK, Jews don't have hell, so I'm fine!" :P
  • Oops, thanks Larissa!  You're definitely right about that!  How could I have forgotten all the blessings and prayers that have "Adonai" in it?
  • Lurker here, but I felt the need to chime in. I agree with PP about hell and Judaism. However, unlike Christianity, there isn't a lot of focus on the afterlife and teachings emphasize that Jews should focus on the current world. "Adonai" means my Lord. And just like G-d, should not be written carelessly for the observant. Part of the reason for the dash in the word is a safeguard against saying His name in vain. Judaism (or at least observant Judaism) has a lot of rituals/actions that are done so that one doesn't accidentally commit a wrong action. Speaking of committing wrong actions, it's Shabbat and I'm using my computer. Oops. I'll have to remember this for Yom Kippur.By the way, I'm a real lurker and not Mrs.E/AE (I've seen the drama).
  • Interesting how Judaism has so many names for God and Christianity has (or at least uses) fewer. I like the the idea of solid traditions in Judaism, but sometimes they seem rather strict. Like keeping the Sabbath holy and what constitutes work. Judaism seems to err on the side of caution on most traditions.
  • Daisy, I can tell youre not E. She would call me ignorant, even though the fact that I'm asking the question shows I'm ignorant of the topic. I want to learn!
  • You'd probably learn a lot more if you just Google it rather than ask here honestly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards