New York-New York City

New here - staten island

Hey everyone! My name's Vanessa and I'm from (and am getting married in) staten island, ny. II was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any and all vendors in Staten Island. I've just started planning for my July 2011 wedding, so all vendors have yet to be picked..

Thanks for the help! :)
---------- imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: New here - staten island

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!! 

The best advice I could give would be to not limit yourself to SI vendors. 
    That being said, I loved Dash of Class as my DJ and so did my guests, they really got a good read for the crowd and what they wanted and kept it going.

Also, if you decide that you want to use Michelle Clark for calligraphy (somebody here can provide her info when you want it) just be warned that she books up quick.  A lot of girls push off calligraphy til late but Michelle's usually booked by then (she does great work and last I heard she was also the cheapest.)

Sorry to throw these things at you so early, but I figured I might as get it out there.
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, congratulations on the engagement!
     What type of venue are you looking for? How many guest are you inviting and do you have a set budget? I'm still in the researching phase as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Nova - thanks for the advice - I will keep it in mind.

Jadzia - I THINK I already have a venue - The Crystal Room - ever heard of it? We're on a strict budget and they're very inexpensive for their quality. Though if price wasn't an option - I would be getting married at the Brooklyn Botanical gardens/ Palm House, so if you know of any less expensive venues that are like that, let me know.

If it was up to me, I'd have a small wedding of like 60 LOL - my family is not THAT big and right now, my side of the guestlist stops at 28. But fiance wants to invite everyone he's ever shaken hands with ughhh so we're thinking 100 max.

Budget I'm thinking about $7500? I'm a big DIY bride & with the max 100 people our venue is like $5500 (including pretty much everything) so I don't think I'll need much more than that.

Have you decided on anything yet?
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of the Crystal room but i've never been there. It looks really nice from pics online.
    I know the Staaten sounds pretty affordable on Staten Island. I've also visited the Old Bermuda Inn and was quoted a relatively low price- the rooms are much older though if you use the ones for under 100 people and they're a bit smaller. You're able to take out and add certain items to the menu though. We are almost set on the Staten Island Hilton but haven't signed anything yet.
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Hilton. Here are some of our other vendors. I definitely recommend going to a wedding expo/ show to see the different vendors. Some of them give better deals if you book on the spot

DJ-Platinum
    Flowers- Caroll's
    Calligrapher- calligraphy by Judy
    alterations- the white gown
    veil / head piece- the white gown
    shoes- shoes.com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jadzia - Thank you for the recommendations. I like the Crystal room but it's not like everything I've ever dreamed of - I kinda settled because of the price. I actually didn't know they did weddings at the Staaten but that would work great because it's so close to my house. And the Old Bermuda Inn - OH MY GOD! I have never heard of the place before so I looked it up online & it is gorgeous - I'm in love! LOL They say they have weddings from $55 pp which is really cheap. I just contacted both the Staaten and the Old Bermuda Inn to see what they have to offer. I'm really hoping I can afford and like the Old Bermuda Inn (I'll definitely be sure to check out the rooms first).

AdamnKel - Thanks for the recommendations - I'm having the hardest part with the DJ - how do you like yours so far? And I'll take your advice on the wedding show - thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been to The Crystal Room but I was talking to a girl on thebump and she had gotten married there as was very happy with everything. 

I agree with the pp though, both The Staaten and The Old Bermuda Inn can have great rates too and are definitely worth looking into.  

Also, I've heard the Island Chateau is nice since they redid the place, and I understand it to pretty affordable (although I don't actually know what they charge) http://www.islandchateau.com/ 
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was this past October at Nicotra's Ballroom - THe Hilton Garden Inn

Here are our vendors -

Flowers:  Clarks House of Flowers.  Debbie was awesome to work with.  She really does some beautiful work.

Calligraphy:  Michelle Clark.  Sooo many people use her.  Even from Jersey.  She is highly recommended

DJ:  ESP DJ Entertainment.  Their office is in Short HIlls, but they might have one in STaten Island.  Joe and Michael are awesome

Photo/Video:  Visual Image Photo & Videography.  THey were pretty good.  And for the price, I was happy.

Good luck.  Feel free to PM if you have any questions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    nessaalwayz - we reallly like our DJ so far they have been great to work with
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I checked out the Island Chateau. The room is really beautiful- it's only one large room for the cocktail hour and reception, but they only host one event at a time.
    The price I was quoted was higher than I expected (higher than the Old Bermuda Inn), but the flowers were included in the package. They also weren't flexible at all with their meal choices and you can't really customize anything.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi There!

I'm not from Staten Island but my wedding planner is from there. I've met her out there some times, you should check her out and I think she's a vendor here. Events by Markz & Co. They're great and able to work with any budget and help with your vendor needs. www.markzandco.com
  • marie427marie427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my reception at the Old Bermuda Inn - no complaints whatsoever, they were awesome in every way.

I would caution you that the $55/pp they mention on their website would be absolutely no-frills. It more than likely doesn't include the open bar and probably is what they'd offer for a cocktail reception, not a reception that would include various dinner courses. I definitely did not pay $55/pp! But it was still so reasonably priced given all that they offered, and I chose to have a Friday night wedding which did help us save money as well.

I do think it's worth checking out because they were so helpful in detailing all costs associated with having our wedding there. If you tell them your budget they would be likely to give you a package that fits it - a lot of other venues wouldn't do that.

Good luck!

imageimageimage

ExerciseMilestone
  • Carried2Carried2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For DJ's check out Dash of Class. I booked them for my September 2011 Wedding. I heard very good things about Old Bermuda Inn and Island Chateau. I almost booked the chateau for our wedding but we are having out reception at the Hilton instead.

Good Luck with the planning.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats fellow Staten Islander!

My cousin has all her parties at the Old Bermuda Inn and my mom is having my shower there next month.  Even if the package doesnt offer much definitely consider it.  If your budget is 7500 you can't (or at least shouldnt) spend 5500 on the venue.  There are so many costs that are over looked (or even realize) when you first start planning.
  • taniarae223taniarae223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey I'm really late on this but.. I have the same situation as you Vanessa!! Have you picked your venue for sure already?  Maybe once you read my story, I can help you out...

I am actually getting married June 11, 2011 and everyone referred me to places like Island Chateau and The Crystal Room but I really want to have an outdoor element at least for my ceremony.  I found the amazing Snug Harbor and fell in love with it- it was the first place my fiance and I went to in person.  After we found out the evening price/ 100 person minimum we tearfully had to research other options, but nothing was comparable to Snug Harbor.  We really only wanted 50-70 guests (although our final list is 82 yikes!) but there was no way we were going to be able to afford the 100 people minimum that they require in many venues.  I almost settled on a few restaurants, and I actually really liked Angelina's Ristorant in Tottenville (you should still check it out! )  If you want to do an afternoon wedding without alcohol and delicious appetizers and dinner, you can do it for 60 something a head a believe.  Unfortunately, my fiancee's one and only request was for an open bar so we had to keep looking.  Also we both really wanted a cocktail hour and many restaurants don't really offer this. 

There is a light at the end of my tunnel.  I emailed my first love, Snug Harbor, a few weeks ago and now they offer a brand new Afternoon wedding menu! It is sooo worth it.  I suggest you look into this venue if you are willing to do your wedding earlier in the day.  Without the 100 person minimum and with options to have your wedding in many areas that are all gorgeous, you can pay anywhere from 90/pp up including ALL taxes and gratuities.  It may sound expensive at first, but It is totally worth it for the beautiful venue, open premium bar, cocktail hour- including signature cocktail, meal, and even custom designed cake... With our 82 invites. we will expect to pay 9000 but I'm pretty sure at least 15% of people won't be confirming, so we are hoping we will be paying around 8000...

I'm a huge DIY bride as well, we are doing all our own centerpieces and invitations and favors.  I've actually already started our save the dates, and they look pretty fab.. I've been utilizing the 40% off coupons at Michael's weekly for the paper and accessories.  We have a family friend who is DJing for us, making the few bouquets ourselves and I plan to custom order my dress from storeofdress.com for about 300- basically we are cutting corners as much as possible but I feel pretty good about not settling or giving up too much to still have our perfect wedding!! This is really important, and I hope you have fallen in love with the Crystal Room or you find something else you can fall in love with because you shouldn't settle!!  I hope that helped, sorry for the rambling!!

• nnechuck09nnechuck09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi
    just recently started looking at venues for next year.....recently stumbled on the vanderbilt in staten island and searching online prices seem to start at $55 but someone mentioned they paid about $190. Does anyone have any idea of prices there.....i also loved the old Bermuda inn (from their website) and it seems from the reviews here its a wonderful venue. the only thing i wasn't sure about was the lighting. It didn't seem that great. Can anyone offer some advice. Thanks,
    Val
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards