Catholic Weddings

On Eagles Wings?

This is one of my favorite communion songs but my vocalist says it does not really fit for a wedding. What should I do? Any other suggestions? TIA

Re: On Eagles Wings?

• DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a catholic chruch vocalist and can tell you that On Eagles Wings is a Funeral song... not appropriate for weddings. (Funny, i just told a bride this last weekend... wonder if your the same girl haha!) For communion I would suggest Panis Angelicus or In Rememberance. They are both very beautiful songs and very appropriate for communion time.
  • edited December 2011
    I was looking for that post!! thank you! there is another post that I just read, only 3-4 down, she also wants to have on eagles wings and is looking for the appropriate time
  • edited December 2011
    2 down from perogoeth
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    An Irish Blessing (traditional) or The Wedding Song is more appropriate.I don't think I have been to a funeral without On Eagles Wings.  It is a lovely song though but now the death association is there.
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Taste and See.  We sang that today and I thought about this post.
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Taste and See was the psalm for today--- I guess it could be used as a communion hymn as well, but technically its a psalm.
  • edited December 2011
    If you and FI love it do it. It is a lovely song and is always fine for communion
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've heard it used for Communion at regular Masses. So I'd say it could be used for a wedding, but I agree with those who say it has a funeral connection for them.Ditto for "Be Not Afraid" and "Shepherd Me O God" - pretty songs, but they always depress me :P
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely understand its connection with funerals, but I never, ever think of that when I hear "On Eagles Wings" during Mass.  Then again, I've only been to a couple of Catholic funerals.Is it possible that where your cantor's job is to be VERY knowlegable about traditional wedding and funeral songs, your guests won't really notice?  It has always been a meditative song about trusting in the Lord in my mind, and I wouldn't think twice if I heard it in a wedding.FWIW, the song actually is based off of Psalm 91.  You could use it during the responsorial psalm.In the end, you don't want to choose something completely inappropriate, and I would never want to push the cantor to do something she's uncomfortable with.  But since this song doesn't absolutely scream "funeral" (like "Amazing Grace" does), I think that you should be able to use it if it's really important to you.  If most of your guests are not Catholic, no one would even know.
  • LMK613LMK613 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    this is also one of my favorite songs...our music director said it was fine for a communion song...infact, he's trying to make it less of a "funeral" song, because it's a favorite of a lot of people
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    "Amazing Grace" screams funeral?  Really?  I grew up Protestant and we sung this hymn at church at least once a month.
  • edited December 2011
    It does to me.  Every funeral I've been to have had that song played, but no funeral I've been to has ever had "On Eagles' Wings".  It's always the song that movies play during funeral scenes.  I know it's often also sung in the context of salvation, but I could never hear it without thinking of funerals because I've never been to a funeral without it.In fact, my mother has specifically requested that we NOT have it played at her funeral (not that she's dying any time soon); it was at her friend's funeral when she died in high school, and my mom knows that it's a funeral staple.
  • edited December 2011
    Interesting.  I've never heard it at a funeral, only at regular Sunday services... so I just think of it as a nice song about salvation and grace. 
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ive heard it both in regular mass and at funerals, but that doesnt mean you cant use it.  lyrics mean a lot to me, but many not to you.  like my husband who just hears the music and not the words... drives me nuts ;)  as a guest i'd be a little confused why you chose it.  my communion song was the wedding song by stookey.  this is not a traditional catholic song and you'd have to get permission to use, but it is my favorite.  i hear taste and see all the time. 
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On Eagles wings is sung when appropriate at mass as well.... .however it is NOT a communion hymn.... usually the mass has something to do with death. Amazing Grace makes me think of funerals too actually..
  • AmandaS23AmandaS23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love On Eagles Wings and the lady that was helping me pick songs thought it was fine for a wedding.  It will be played just preceding the ceremony when all of the guests will be arriving.  I say use it if you love it.
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one bread one body and pan de vida are also nice for communion
  • edited December 2011
    If you like it, use it! Your wedding! :) I also love this song, have heard it at mass and my sister had it at her wedding. It makes me feel good and it's comfortable to me. I have never thoguht of it as a "funeral" song. So like I said if you like it, use it.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely a funeral song. We're most likely using "One Bread, One Body" for Communion
  • edited December 2011
    I love that song, but it is normally used at funerals. They also tend to play it for communion during Lent. Ave Maria is a good choice for communion, especially because of the length.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards