Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Two dresses?

We are having a destination wedding and coming home to have a reception a week later. What is the proper etiquette on wearing your wedding dress to the reception? Is that something that should not be done, or is it alright? My wedding dress isn't going to be big and fancy, probably something simple and not so poofy. Would something like that be okay to wear again to the reception? Our families are the only ones going to the wedding, so I would like to have everyone else see me in my dress, but I didn't know if that is okay. I would like any advice you have. TIA!

Re: Two dresses?

• Options
    I think it'd be okay for you to wear you DW dress to your AHR.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    It used to be thought of as AW-ish and trying to redo the wedding on here. But that's probably changed.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I had a DW and AHR, wore two dresses for the DW and used the second dress again for the AHR.  Depending on your wedding dress and your AHR, it could be too dressy. 
  • Options
    IMO if you want your family to see you in your dress they should be at the wedding. Your AHR isn't a do-over, its a celebration of your marriage. If I were you I wouldn't wear the dress again.
  • Options
    It isn't being an AW to have an AHR, there are people who can't make it to both and it is very common. 
  • Options
    I was actually answering her question E.  A lot of people on here think it's AW-ish and trying to redo the wedding if you wear the same dress at the AHR.

• Options
    I think it would be fine as long as it matches the formality of the reception as well.  However, I would not wear a veil or have a bouquet, that might be overkill since those things have traditional uses that are specific to the ceremony.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Personally, I would not. The AHR guests are attend your AHR, not your wedding. I'd select a cute dress appropriate for the setting but I would not wear my wedding dress again.
  • Options
    I disagree, if the party is just as formal, why not?  I am not into being seen in the same outfit but that is just me.  As long as she doesn't go through all the wedding like ceremony, toss, or what ever wedding stuff she planned, it is fine. 
  • Options
    Isn't it wonderful that we can have two different opinions?

• Options
    I disagree, if the party is just as formal, why not? Because, IMO, it's a wedding dress and a wedding dress shouldn't be worn to a party that isn't a wedding.
  • Options
    It's a wedding reception.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    It is a party for her wedding, not some random party.  Also, it is a DW, who is to say she is having some massive pretty princess with pick ups?  I think we need to see the dress she has in mind. 
  • Options
    What if the dress she ends up buying is not actually a wedding dress but instead a bridesmaid dress that just happens to be white?  Then is it ok?  Or is it only ok to wear a long white dress to a wedding? Nowhere else? Not trying to start an argument, just playing devil's advocate.  I just don't think that's the best reasoning. And I generally don't like AHRs.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    She says in the OP it'll be something simple and not so poofy.  I still say she could wear it.
  • Options
    I don't care what her dress looks like, its her wedding dress and IMO your wedding dress should only be something that is worn once.
  • Options
    I'd be going for something like this:
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    We heard your opinion, why do you feel the need to repeat it?  Also- have you had or are planning a DW?  Do you think it is easy or fun to find not one but two dresses? 
  • Options
    So then it's not that it's a party, it's that the ceremony and reception are on two different days?  Because, unless I'm mistaken, you're going to wear the same dress to both your ceremony and your reception.  Just trying to understand.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of the DW/AHR thing because it doesn't make that much sense with my worldview - I want all my loved ones to see me getting married. However, to each her own.For your question, I think it depends on the dress. If it is a long, pouffy dress with a cathedral train, dripping in sequins, then I would say it is inappropriate. If it is a plain white dress with few embellishments that falls somewhere between the knee and the ankle in length, then it is fine. I think in this case, less is more.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    So wait.  Does this mean I can't wear my wedding dress to the bar tonight?You so totally ruined my drinking plan. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't care what her dress looks like, its her wedding dress and IMO your wedding dress should only be something that is worn once. I certainly don't agree with this. A lot of people who are on a budget or environmentally conscious choose to buy wedding dresses that can be worn again or adapted into other uses. My mom bought her dress precisely because she felt that it was wasteful to buy a dress for only one day, and she would have worn it again if she hadn't spilled ice tea down the front of it during her reception.
    imageimage
  • Options
    A "wedding dress" is just a dress, usually a very expensive dress. A wedding reception is a party where a dress is appropriate.Therefore, if she has an expensive dress in her closet that would be appropriate to wear to her wedding reception, why wouldn't she wear it?Who determines that a dress is a "wedding dress?" I mean, are there rules on this? Any white dress is a wedding dress? Any white, expensive dress is a wedding dress? Any dress that she wore to her ceremony? If you are defining it as the dress she wore to her ceremony...What if she was wearing a simple colored dress to her ceremony? What if she didn't even wear a dress to the ceremony, but she wore a "traditional" wedding dress to the reception? It wouldn't be a "wedding dress" by that definition then. A dress is just that, a dress. If she wants to wear that dress once, or if she wants to wear it fifty times, that is just fine, because it is just a DRESS. If she feels comfortable in it and has formal events to wear it to, she can wear it any time.Personally, I wouldn't want to wear the dress I wore to my wedding any other time, but that is a personal choice. Really what this comes down to is how the OP feels about it. Do you want to wear the dress you wore to get married to your husband in to celebrate your marriage to your husband in? Only the OP can answer that question.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of the DW/AHR thing because it doesn't make that much sense with my worldview - I want all my loved ones to see me getting married. However, to each her own.  There are different reasons for DWs.  We married half way around the world because that is where a big chunk of family is.  How realistic is it to expect everyone to travel to one place?  It isn't something to be a fan of and it isn't always by choice. 
  • Options
    I just chose where I wanted to get married and invited people.  If they couldn't come, they couldn't come.  A wedding is about the marriage, not so much the party.

• Options
    I would think this board would be pro re-wearing the dress since it is less wasteful and cost effecient. I think , if you want to, you should wear it again if it is appropriate to the party. Who wouldn't want to wear their wedding dress again if given the option? Why spend all that money on something if you are out and out saying that it is a one time only item? 
  • Options
    I would think this board would be pro re-wearing the dress since it is less wasteful and cost effecient.This isn't budget brides.

• Options
    So then it's not that it's a party, it's that the ceremony and reception are on two different days? Because, unless I'm mistaken, you're going to wear the same dress to both your ceremony and your reception. Just trying to understand. It is just a party. It's not a reception. I know I called it a AHR, but that's only because that's was people who have them call them. I don't agree with that. A reception is held right after the ceremony to thank your guests (the ones that came to the ceremony). She said she wants to wear her dress again because quote "would like to have everyone else see me in my dress"Like I said before, if she wants to have everyone see it, they should be at the wedding. I wouldn't want to wear the dress again for sentimental reasons. As well as the fact that I don't believe people should get do-overs.
  • Options
    There are different reasons for DWs. We married half way around the world because that is where a big chunk of family is. How realistic is it to expect everyone to travel to one place? It isn't something to be a fan of and it isn't always by choice.I stated my opinion on the DW issue, but then I essentially agreed with you on the dress issue. Granted, our families are for the most part located within two hours of the site we have chosen for our wedding, so for the most part getting there won't be a hardship. Given that, I couldn't see myself having a wedding far from home and then having a reception at home. I see there are reasons to do it, but given my situation it would not work for me.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think it'd be nice to wear it again.  If I went to an AHR and the bride wasn't in something wedding-y, I'd be disappointed.  I'm at a reception, I want to see a bride!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards