Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement party timing?

Hello!

My fiance and I got engaged in Nov 2010 and are planning a June 2012 wedding.  I recently found out that my FMIL wants to throw us an engagement party, but wants to do it in April or May 2012.  Is this too close to the wedding?  I feel like with a shower and other things going on it may be a bit much, plus engagement parties are typically closer to the engagment than the wedding. Thoughts on this? Thanks!!

Re: Engagement party timing?

• edited December 2011
    That seems a bit close to the wedding. I am getting married August 2012 (we got engaged Nov 2010) and we had our engagement party the end of April 2011. The engagement party is supposed to be closer to the engagement rather then the wedding. It would be to much with all the other events!! I would look to have it before Christmas if you are going to have one! 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree.  The engagement party should be much closer to the engagement date than the wedding.  Plus, with bridal showers, etc. it might seem like too much for some people.  I would suggest an engagement party where you can introduce your wedding party as well as each other to all of the people who may not know everyone.  You may want to make it a "no gifts" party and instead, YOU give gifts to those that attend.  You might also want to make it somewhat informal.  This website has some cute engagement party ideas:

http://www.rosemarycompany.com/2209.html#Engagement_Party_Favors

They also have some great bridal shower ideas...when the time comes!

Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, every book I have read or person I have talked to says to have the engagement party closer to the engagement rather than the wedding. If your having a long engagement its okay to wait a while but you definitely do not want it closer to the wedding. My fiance and I got engaged Aug 10th, and plan to have our wedding October 2013. Even though we have a long engagement, our actual engagement part will be this coming January. If you have it so close to the wedding, people will not understand what the point is since there will likely be a bridal shower as well as bachelor/ bachelorette parties. Plus, you want to spread it out more to enjoy this special time in your life! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think engagement parties usually take place in the first 3 or 4 months of engagement.  With that said, that ship has sailed for you.  Even if you were to have it next month, I would say it's a little late for that.  The point of the party is to celebrate the new engagement.  Like PP said, having the e-party a month before the wedding would be a shower.  If FMIL is dying to throw you and FI a lavish party, let her do some crazy RD if she wants. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    engagement parties should definately be within 3-6 months of the engagement, depending on how long your engagement is. definately not a god idea to do it too close to the wedding with everything else thats goes on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-timing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:3eeb55fc-1111-416c-a1cf-25b52c34d02dPost:80e37305-abe2-4ef6-a468-70e7840abf18">Re: Engagement party timing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think engagement parties usually take place in the first 3 or 4 months of engagement.  With that said, that ship has sailed for you.  Even if you were to have it next month, I would say it's a little late for that.  The point of the party is to celebrate the new engagement.  Like PP said, having the e-party a month before the wedding would be a shower.  If FMIL is dying to throw you and FI a lavish party, let her do some crazy RD if she wants. 
    Posted by Hellokatie0517[/QUOTE]

This.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards