Maine

Lets get to know each other!

I know we do this quite a bit - but it seems like there are so many faces that come and go and only a couple of "regulars" here.  I'd love to see this board come alive with posts, we're all here to help each other!So lets do a quick introduction with some key info.My name is Jaime and my husband's name is Patrick (Pat).  We got married last September at our Catholic church in Auburn and had the reception at Martindale Country Club also in Auburn.We live in Windham with our awesome cat, Stryker.  I'm an accountant in Portland and Pat's got too many jobs.  He's a Paramedic/Fire Fighter for a few towns in addition to teaching at SMCC.  We got engaged at the Washington Monument on a vacation in Washington DC and it was pretty much perfect and a total surprise.  I had a ton of fun planning our wedding, even though it was stressful at times.  I miss it in some ways, but in others I'm glad it's over! :)So tell us about yourselves!
Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Re: Lets get to know each other!

• edited December 2011
    Good idea Jaime, I was just thinking yesterday that it was about time to do this again.I'm Liza, my FI is Sean and I'd say I'm one of the "regulars" around here. I'm getting married in 16 days (holy crap!) in Rome, ME or Belgrade Lakes depending on who you ask at a gorgeous lodge on Great Pond. I'm originally from the Central Maine area (Sidney/Oakland) but currently live in Portland with my FI and our 2 awesome dogs Vegas and Serena. There are some cute pictures of them in my bio. I work for AAA in Portland and Sean is the customer service manager for Key Bank in Monument Square. I'm starting to get a little crazy with the wedding so close, but I'm really excited for it and just a little ready to be done with it since I had the longest engagement ever - 5 years!!
  • Torir911Torir911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jamie! I'm rather new to this board... My name is Tori, and I got engaged on May 26th to my FI, Eric. We both grew up in Westbrook & went to the same high school (he was even buddies with my brother) but I never knew he exisited until about 5 years after high school. We are getting married on Oct 2 2010 right in Portland. We're having our ceremony and reception at Keeley's. I'm trying my hardest to keep the list at or under 100 people. The less people, the better, in my opinion. I feel like I'm the anit-bride sometimes. On one hand, I love the idea of getting dressed up, marrying the man I love, and riding off into the sunset. But on the other hand, I hate the idea of getting dressed up, walking down the aisle with 200 eyes staring at me, and having to recite the vows I've written in front of 100 people (public speaking isn't my thing)... Eric LOVES being the center of attention & I've offered a few times already to let him walk down the aisle and I'll stand with the officiant. I'm a little ahead of schedule, and I feel like I've got the worst of it over with. We've booked the venue, we found a DJ we like, and we booked our photographer. Now hopefully we can just finally go a month w/out making any deposits or having any meetings in September :) I also bought my dress in July. I didn't intend to, but it was discontinued, fit perfectly, and made me feel like a princess (even though I look exauhsted in the pictures of me trying it on). Oh, it was also marked down from $1000ish to $200.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello! :)I'm more of a regular on the Oct '09 board, but I post here every now and then.My name is Allie and my fiance's name is Walker (yeah, like Texas Ranger).  We're getting married October 10th, 2009 in St Mary's Church in Falmouth with the reception at the Woodlands in Falmouth.  We currently live in Yarmouth.  I grew up in Maine, but after graduated, we moved to Philadelphia.  We hated it so much that we moved back here after only 7 months--just couldn't stay away!  We have two cats, Jericho and Branwen.  I'm a paralegal in Brunswick and he's a copy editor in Portland.  We got engaged while visiting his family in GA for Thanksgiving and it was not even close to a surprise.  We just went into the jewelry store and bought the ring together, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Only about 6 more weeks left until the wedding and I'm kind of dreading this part.  All the fun planning is done and now it's all about wrangling vendors and RSVP's.  I'm more than ready for October to be here!
    Knitting Blog
    Updated 3-12
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im Jenni, the man Im marrying is Jeff. We live just outside of Bethel and I have 2 children, Brianna 3.5 & Camden 1.5. Jeff & I were engaged in February, and we're getting married June 19th 2010. We've been together for 2 years. We're getting married on the Artists Covered Bridge in Newry Maine. Our reception is going to be in the Legion Hall in our town. He's a mechanic & Im a stay at home mom. We've got all of the big things set ceremony, reception hall, dj, photographer, cake, & my dress. We're doing as much as we possibly can our selves, flowers, invites, centerpieces. I think thats about it. Any questions Im  not shy just ask. =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to add an important check, we've also got our honeymoon all set. We're going to St Lucia & staying at a place called Stonefield Estate Villas. So excited. A private villa, in the jungle, looking out at the ocean with a private pool. Im just as excited about that as I am the actual wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Girls. . . My name is Christina, My FI's name is Joe. We got engaged on July 17, 2008 at Prescott Park in Portsmouth, NH and we are getting married July 17, 2010 at Spring Hill in Berwick. I'm just going into my last year of school so we wanted to wait for me to finish before getting married, so May- July of '10 are going to be SUPER busy for us!!Joe is 26, He works for his family business which is a Drywall/Construction company. He is a Project Manager. I'm 22, I'm from NH but now live with Joe in ME. I'm going to school to get my Associates Degree in Surgical Technology, and I work at a hospital as a Pre-op secretary. We have a lot of planning already done. All our big vendors booked & out of the way, and actually just got our Save the Dates in the mail yesterday, now just have to wait until Nov/Dec to send them out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies. I used to be more of a regular on the board, but haven't been on a lot lately. So happy to see so many new faces, and hear about everyone's planing!I'm Meg and my DH is Devin. We got married on May 17th at Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth (where I grew up) . It was an absolutely beautiful day ( no rain, woohoo!!) that we were so happy to share with our closest family and friends. We live in Turner with our three daughters Kailey, Brooke, and Lily. I'm a SAHM right now, but am going back to school to become an RN and eventually a Midwife. DH works at a medical supply factory, as well as earning his BA in Business Information Systems. We both had a lot of fun planning our wedding, and do miss some of it, but we're both so happy to have the stress of it all behind us :)
  • juliamarcusjuliamarcus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello: I'm not on here all that often, but I'm Julia and my fiance is Marcus.  We don't live in Maine we live in western Mass, but my mom lives in Freeport area, and we're getting married in York, ME on Oct. 4th! (SOO CLOSE)I'm currently unemployed and just finished law school and took the bar exam.  I'm not so patiently awaiting the results which come out in November.  My fiance is a civl engineer for Lane Construction.  We got engaged in May of last year in Scranton, PA (where we had our first date).  It was totally unexpected and exciting.   We're getting married at the Stage Neck Inn.  Our entire family, with the exception of my mom and sister are coming in from out of town.    I just know that 10.4 can't get here soon enough!
  • edited December 2011
    These posts are so fun to read!  Thanks Jaimebeth (btw, we got engaged in an almost identical location--Matt proposed halfway between the Washington Monument and the Capitol).I'm Jen and my husband is Matt.  We got married on June 19 at the Linekin Bay Resort in Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  It was one of those days where it rained about 2 inches, but we still had a fabulous time and our guests were really good sports.  We live in Arlington, VA now.  I work as a policy analyst for the Government Accountability Office (I PROMISE my job is way more interesting than it sounds; I love it!) and Matt is an architect who works for an office that specializes in airports.  Fun piece of trivia--he's been to Vegas about 90 times in the past 4 years to work on their airport and absolutely can't stand the city now, haha. My family has lived in Maine off and on since the 1930s.  Only my grammy is there now, but quite a few family members, including Matt and myself, are considering moving to Portland or somewhere mid-coast in the next 5-10 years.  So we'll see...
  • edited December 2011
    Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the board but mainly because I'm fairly new at being engaged. My FI Trevor and I got engaged on July 24 while on vacation at Moosehead Lake. He planned to propose when we climbed Mt. Kineo but it didn't work out because believe it or not there are no views from the top of Mt. Kineo! You would think being a mountain and all that you might be able to see something when you got to the top. So instead he proposed on our way back to our campsite in a little spot called Pebble Beach. It was perfect! Our chocolate lab was swimming in the lake chasing ducks and Trevor popped the question!We are getting married on September 25, 2010 in central Maine. Our ceremony and reception are going to be at a private residence since I've always wanted a backyard tented reception. We are on a bit of a budget so any tips I can get from you ladies on planning with a budget would be great! Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    My name is Mel, FI is Glenn.  I'd consider myself a regular, although I post more lately on the NH board.  We're getting married October 11th in Westbrook (my hometown) with the reception at Keeley's in Portland.  We live in Dover, NH with our two cats - Blue and Rocky.  We've been in our house for just over 3 years now, and it's recently become our own personal Money Pit.  Just in time to pay for the wedding.  I am a Legal Assistant for the County Attorney's Office, and he's a high school math teacher.  We got engaged on his boat out on the lake at my parent's summer camp - on our 5th anniversary.  The proposal, as well as the ring, were absolutely perfect.  While it wasn't a complete surprise, he did throw me off and make me think it wasn't going to happen then.  I'm getting into crunch time with my planning - this weekend is my first fitting, my boudoir pictures, and my surprise shower (yes, I just said that).  :)My best advice for the newer brides is to take full advantage of what this board has to offer.  I've booked all my Maine vendors based on recommendations here, picked up many many projects and ideas I NEVER would have come up with on my own (b-pics are one), and several of the NH Knotties actually just surprised me with a bachelorette party last weekend (My MOH just had baby #3, and one BM is 7 months preg, and the other lives in NC).  The comradarie between women who are going through the same life events can be quite bonding. 
  • edited December 2011
    A little late to the game, sorry about that!I'm Mindy, FI is Will. We're getting married at Shawnee Peak in Bridgton on June 12, and hoping for fabulous weather so we can have an outside ceremony in front of the mountain! (apparently, according to a cake baker we met, hanging rosary beads on your clothesline and putting brooms in trees is supposed to ward off rain on your wedding day...it worked for her!).FI proposed in April. We had talked about getting engaged/looked at rings back in January, and had planned a weekend getaway in April, so I thought that might be when it happened. But he really wanted to surprise me, so instead he proposed the following week, on a Thursday. He took me out to dinner at the restaurant where we first met, then back at our apartment set up candles all over the coffee table and played a DVD slideshow he made with music and photos of us together, interspersed with text that gave all the reasons he loved me. At the end was a picture of the ring and "Will you marry me?"You'd think I would have seen it coming once I saw the candles, but he'd done so well at convincing me we should wait to get engaged that I was actually surprised! I love now that I have the DVD so we can show it to friends and family and I can replay it and remember.Currently working on picking a DJ (finally decided against the iPod route) and just did our first cake tasting last night -- yum!
    Anniversary
  • jdenormandiejdenormandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies,I'm fairly new to this site as well, but you will be seeing me more and more as our September 5, 2010 wedding approaches. We got engaged in January while vacationing at Crested Butte Mountain in Colorado. We took our time enjoying the engagement and now nine months later we are in the process of nailing down a venue so that we can start in on all the fun details! I grew up in Norway, ME, but now reside in Massachusetts. I miss the mountains and other natural beauties of the state;  I will always be a Maine girl.......and that's one reason we're having the wedding "back home".I look forward to building relationships with many of you and can;t say thank you enough for all the help you've provided me with so far.
  • LaciWLaciW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone!I'm Laci, FI is Jason we live in the Portland area and are getting married 10-23-10 at Sunday River in Newry, ME. He proposed in March while we were on vacation in FL at Disney World just after getting off my favorite ride (Splash Mtn)!!! It was more than a complete surprise, I had no idea why he was pulling me away from the exit!TTYS!
    ~Laci Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,My name is Kristin and my FI's name is Jon.  We recently moved to Boston from New York City with our shih tzu Baxter.  We got engaged in June after having dated for close to seven years.  We met the first day of our law school orientation and have been together since.We're planning a ceremony on July 10, 2010 at the Catholic Church in my hometown of Bath followed by a reception on the lawn of the Maine Maritime Museum.  To date we've booked the venue, the band (the Bob Charest Band) and I've purchased my dress.  I guess next up is looking at caterers.  I've appreciated all the information that I've managed to gather from the board so far.    
  • JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone,My name is Jaime and I'm married to Steve.  We were married at Sunday River's Grand Summit on July 18th.  We live in Naples, but are building a house in Bridgton.  I am a kindergarten teacher and DH is a web developer.  We have one cat Moxie, and two dogs Mya and Quinn. 
  • mallorijoemallorijoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Mal and my DH is Joe.  We got married 2 weeks ago on 8-15 on what felt like the hottest day of the year. Some advise for summer brides- make sure your venue has a/c, because ours didnt and it was bloody hot.  The wedding was great despite the heat- we ended it with about 25 people jumping into a nearby lake.  I'm a nurse, Joe's a corrections officer. We live in Raymond with our 4 cats Jack, Sparrow, Bella and Clover.  We just got back from our honeymoon a couple days ago, we did a road trip Niagara, Toronto, Montreal, and it was great.  Now I'm trying to get used to the new last name! 
  • edited December 2011
    laci: That sounds like a fun proposal! Did he take the ring on the ride? Was he afraid it would fall out?kristen: FI and I looked at the Maine Maritime Museum too, and we loved it. It's got such a great location right on the river.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone, sorry it's a little late.  My name is Bethany and my fiance's name is Mike.  I'm from Old Town and Mike is from Bourne, MA.  We recently bought a house in Chelsea, MA where we live now with our 2 cats. We are getting married October 17, 2009 at St. John's Episcopal Church in Bangor and our reception is at the Spectacular Event Center.  We are taking 2 honeymoons since our wedding in during Hurricane season.  We will be going to Orlando right after the wedding and then we will be taking a cruise in February.  We got engaged on Halloween last year, which is my favorite holiday.  I'm trying the low-stress kind of wedding and so far it's working, hopefully it will last!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone!!I know this is a little late but... my name is Sharon and my FI is Chris. We have been together for over 7 years (yup high school sweethearts)!! We currently live in Bangor but are originally from Gray. I graduate in December with my Master's degree and we hope to be moving back to the Portland area. We got engaged back in Feburary on our 7 year anniversary. It was a total surprise because we agreed on no gifts, or so I thought. Since then we have been busy planning the wedding. So far we have set the date for Oct. 9th, 2010. The ceremony is at St. Joseph's in Portland and the reception is at the Woodlands in Falmouth. Now we are in the process of looking at photographers (any suggestions would be great).
  • edited December 2011
    Runner- I highly suggest our Photographer. We are using Blush Imagery. They just recently moved into their new studio in Portland. They do a wonderful job, Beth is the owner, check out their website. . . blushimagery.comBeth is a bit pricey (but totally worth it), but her husband who is a great commercial photog. does weddings for her also. He is a bit cheaper (not sure what your budget is) but they are so great, and the friendliest people to work with!  They both have worked around the U.S for different papers and magazines. He has even work in China, Afghanistan with the troops, Japan, Italy (did a couple weddings there as well). haha sorry this is long, we just love them ! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jowens020jowens020 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone, My name is Jamie.  My fiancee and I just got engaged July 6, 2010 on our way to Ireland (to visit his family.)  We live in Boston.  I am a nurse, he is a financial analyst.  We are getting married Sept 18, 2010 in Bangor (where I grew up.)  We are getting married at St. John's Catholic Church and reception is at Hilton Garden Inn.   So far, I have bought a dress..booked a photographer and florist and have rented a house for my FI family to stay in the week after the wedding (in Camden).  I would love to meet everyone and hear how everyone's plans are going.  Any help on Bangor resources would be great! 
    started TTC 5/10
    me: PCOS DH: low motility
    clomid 100mg - no response
    clomid 200mg +HCG+ IUI #1 5/1/11 = BFN
    clomid 200mg +HCG+IUI #2 5/31/11 = BFN
    Clomid/HCG/IUI #3 Cancelled Follistism + IUI x2 BFN Changed RE Moving on to IVF 11/2011
  • AngelSmittyAngelSmitty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My name is Sarah and my husband's name is Birdie.  We got married July 25th at the Immanuel Baptist Church and had our reception at the Eastland Park Hotel (both in Portland on High St.).  We just bought a house in Bangor and live there with our two cats (Sparta and MacGyver) and our 5 month old Puggle (Dougie).  I just finished my Master's in School Counseling from UMaine Orono and am looking for work.  Birdie works full time and goes to NESCOM full time for Audio Engineering.  We got engaged August 27th, 2008 and I think the 11th months we had to plan was a perfect amount of time.  Originally we had thought of July 2010 but after two weeks of that I was like WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!?! haha so we upped it to July 2009 and I'm so glad we did!I check in on here to see if anyone needs feedback on my vendors.  I used Harmon's and Barton's in Portland for my florist, Let Them Eat Cake for my baker, Fast Dogs Mobile Entertainment for our DJ, Men's Wearhouse for the tuxes, David's Bridal for the bridesmaids' dresses, Henry's Bridal (in Bangor) for my gown...and that's all I can think of right now that you might have questions about :)   Just page me if you need me!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone, hope I’m not too late for this - I’m kind of new here (lurked a bit though!). I’m Gabrielle and my fiancé is Ron and we live in Portland, with our kitty (Tammany). I’m a Corporate Paralegal and he’s a Professor at USM.   We got engaged back in January (at home, on a Saturday morning), and it was a total surprise!! We’ve been together just over 3 years now, and will be getting married on 08.28.10, with both the ceremony and reception on Peaks Island. I’m really glad we decided to wait until next summer to get married – there is so much to plan and decide, and it’s been nice to know we have lots of time to plan. We just celebrated our “minus 1” anniversary (heehee), and already have the venue, caterer (Black Tie), DJ and photographer (Alexandra Daley-Clark), so I feel like we’re in pretty good shape.   Look forward to contributing more to the board!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards