Catholic Weddings

Ring question...

Someone posted this at the question of the day on my local board.  But I was curious as to what the Catholic tradition was...

Do you wear your Engagement ring during the ceremony, and have the groom put it on your finger and then flip them around?  Do you wear the e-ring on your right hand?  Do you have them soldered together before?  Do you just skip the e-ring all together for the ceremony?

Someone posted that in her church (Lutheran), the pastor did a special e-ring ceremony stating that the groom made a promise, now the promise had been fulfilled.

So is everyone else doing, or what did you do with your e-ring?
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Ring question...

• bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think this is something that is decided by religion. It's personal preference.

I put my e-ring on my left hand before the ceremony so that DH could put my wedding ring on the right. I switched the e-ring after the ceremony. I'm not getting them soldered.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i wore my e-ring on my left hand, removed it, and H placed my band on, then i put my e-ring back on.  there wasnt any kind of ceremony for the e-ring, just hte blessing of hte rings.

i didnt have mine soldered.  i very rarely wear my diamond.  not because it isnt nice or i dont like it, it just gets in the way.  my wedding band is a very simple gold band, smooth, adn it doenst catch on things.  i hardly notice it.  i like that.
  • edited December 2011
    You typically wear your engagement ring on your right hand so you can put the wedding ring on your left.

From wikipedia:
    "Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein of blood ran directly from the third finger on the left hand to the heart. Because of the hand-heart connection, they chose the descriptive name vena amori, Latin for the vein of love, for this particular vein."

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    image Our Furbaby Beaker imageimage
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Different people choose different things.  I'm going to wear it on my right hand and then switch it to my left hand after the ring ceremony.  Some people just leave it on the left hand and he slides it on next to it and then later on, you can reverse it so that the band is closer to your heart.  
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore mine on my right hand during the ceremony and then switched it while we were sitting back down after our vows. Mine will not be soldered together.
  • edited December 2011
    I have always heard that it is bad luck to remove your wedding ring, so I am wearing my e-ring on my right hand and then switching it after the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore mine on my right hand during the ceremony and then switched it while we were sitting back down after our vows. Mine will not be soldered together.

Exactly this. I just didn't want to worry about switching it during the ceremony and dropping it, etc.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    mine didnt fit on my right hand....
  • edited December 2011
    I wore mine on my right hand during the ceremony, then switched it before the formal pics started. It is really an individual preference, you can wear it on your right hand or leave it off all together. No special ceremony, just the blessing of the rings before they are put on each other's fingers. I have not having mine saudered together either.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3762380e-b7d4-47f2-b6ec-c640f6f4e89fPost:a2e9e902-c3b5-4697-9461-37b85dfca442">Re: Ring question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore mine on my right hand during the ceremony and then switched it while we were sitting back down after our vows. Mine will not be soldered together. Exactly this. I just didn't want to worry about switching it during the ceremony and dropping it, etc.
    Posted by Jay+Marissa[/QUOTE]

You can always wait until after the ceremony to switch it. Maybe it would be a nice sentiment for your husband to switch it to your left hand when you have your first alone moments together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • edited December 2011
    I also did the right hand thing, but my grandma said that when she got married it was common to have the MOH wear the e-ring during the ceremony.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • edited December 2011
    I put my e-ring on my right hand and switched it later.  I didn't have them soldered... good thing, or both would have been lost when H lost my e-ring this week.  :-/

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards