Florida-Central Florida

Poll:Do you wear your engagement ring 24/7?

So my knuckle is getting swollen from taking my engagement ring on/off...My ring spins around on my finger sometimes, so I don't think my ring is too small...but I do think that maybe my knuckle is a little big.  Yesterday I went looking at wedding bands and took my engagement ring on/off a lot and now it feels like my knuckle is bruised and is making my ring tighter.  I usually take my engagement ring off to sleep because I heard the bed sheets may catch and loosen the prongs.  I also hate to blowdry my hair with my ring on because it gets really hot.  Who keeps on their engagement ring all the time?  Any suggestions for my knuckle problem:(?

Re: Poll:Do you wear your engagement ring 24/7?

• edited December 2011
    I keep it on all the time. We've been renovating our condo and I still haven't taken it off. The RARE times I take it off are when I'm handling raw meat (cause it just grosses me out) and if I'm putting sunscreen on or something like that. The jeweler scolded me the other day about the sheets and loosening prongs, but my setting is really snug and there really isn't any way for that to happen and I have it checked regularly so it doesn't.  I think it's a personal preference. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I leave mine on all the time except when I go to the beach and when I am working out.  I would hate to lose the diamond in the sand and the idea of crushing my ring with weights kinda scares me...though i haven't been to the gym in ages.
  • Blonde407Blonde407 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only wear mine when I leave the house.  As soon as I get home I take it off and don't put it back on till I leave the house again.
    **Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Amy00005Amy00005 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sure that your finger has just been aggrevated from having to take the ring on and off and it will feel better in a few days. If it doesn't get better I would seek medical advice from a Dr. or someone you trust. I wear my ring all day except for when I go to the beach or am doing something I am afraid I would mess it up, like cleaning with bleach or cooking some foods. I also don't sleep in mine. I can't sleep in any jewelry it drives me crazy.
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i take mine off to sleep, shower, and workout! i wore it in the pool this weekend, but i would normally take it off for that, too. i usually leave it on when i wash dishes.
  • edited December 2011
    I take mine on and off all day at work. If I don't it gets all scratched up. When I am home I usually have it on but I don't shower or sleep with it on and I definatly don't wear it to the beach or doing yard work or anything.
  • BananaMustangBananaMustang member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off for "water" activities...be it shower, pool, dishes....I also take it off when cleaning...more so when using bleach or heavy cleaning products.... I also take it off when I am doing hefty yard work...aka yesterday when I was moving cinderblocks in the mud....
  • edited December 2011
    I only wear my wedding and e-ring when leaving the house.  I don't like to get them caught on anything at home and I've always taken off all my jewelry as soon as I get home, so I guss it's just a habit now!
  • bluepoet2007bluepoet2007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wear my e-ring 24/7, except for showering, and sometimes when I wash dishes. I'm afraid it'll slip off down the drain! I've never heard about the sheets, but my setting is snug and the ring fits perfectly, so I'm not too worried. Ditto Amy's reply about the swelling/bruising...it'll probably subside in a few days. Your knuckle's just not used to getting such a workout! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I only take it off to do dishes but that is rare because I hate doing dishes. H usually does them. So other than that it is on all the time. I get it checked often but I have had no problems so far.
  • edited December 2011
    I pretty much wear my all time time. I take it off to cut up chicken, when I'm doing a complete cleaning of the kitty litter box (washing it and everything) and occasionally at work. Sometimes I need to slide my hand into equipment and I don't want to snag it and break anything (prongs, or the equipment). I also work with lasers, so some times I spin it around so that the diamond is on the palm side so I dont accidently put it in the laser's path (it likely would not damage the ring, but would cause reflections of the laser that could damage my eyes). We get the ring inspected every 6 months, so I'm not too concerned about sleeping it or anything else, since they check the setting so often.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses.  I think I'm going to just keep up my normal routine I've been going with, but try and used soapy water whenever I take it off so my knuckle doesn't get beat up!
  • katdeckatdec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off only to shower, cleaning certain things and also handling meat. I  have already had to take mine in because the diamond was loose. I need to get my resized because its now to big after the weight I have lost.
  • cjbwifey2010cjbwifey2010 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI hates when i have it off, he says it should be like an undergarment to me...always on! LOL. I had to finally convince him of letting me take it off when i go to bed. So since he is a neat freak, i take it off when i'm cooking, washing dishes, taking a shower, or washing my hair, at the gym, etc. pretty much, i take it off when i get home but put it back on somewhere in between me finishing all those activities and leaving the house. FI told me that if i take it off, i need to put it back in its box because he doesn't like for me to have it lying around...so i try to do that, but mostly i take off my ring and watch at the same time and place my ring in the circle that my watch makes. It works out pretty well!I'd just hate to get soap or some chicken fat stuck up in my ring. I'm trying to keep it as clean and shiny as possible :)
  • edited December 2011
    I wear my rings 24/7 - the only time I take them off is when I'm cooking something that's particularly messy like hamburgers or fried chicken (the meat from the burgers and the egg and flour from anything fried is not fun in my channel set wedding band). Other than that they're always on. I know for me on occasion they get sore when my fingers are super swollen from heat or a bug bite or something -- maybe your knuckles are swollen?
  • vedikavedika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually only wear mine when I'm going out..I just don't want to risk it while washing dishes, cleaning toilets, or outdoor work..Out of habit, I almost always take off my jewelry when I get in the house..
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you take it off, slide the bottom part to the crease of your finger and then take the top part over your bent finger in an arc. That should help with the bruising.  I sometimes take it off to sleep at night and to shower but that's it.  Also, you could get little knubs added to the band that keep it from spinning at the jeweler. 
  • edited December 2011
    I take mine off whenever I'm doing something that involves water, cooking, harsh chemicals, or dirt. Even rinsing your hands with the ring on exposes it to minerals in the water that aren't good for the metal. If I'm eating something really sloppy, the ring comes off. I keep ring dishes in both bathrooms and one by the kitchen sink so there's always a place for it if it's not on my finger. And I don't sleep with it on anymore (after the first couple of weeks) because it squashes my finger and it just doesn't feel good. That's just me - I'm very tactile and OCD about how stuff feels against my skin, especially if it involves repeated contact.
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off when I'm at the gym, when I sleep and when I shower, wash my hands, or otherwise would get it wet.
  • edited December 2011
    The only time I take mine off is when I am cooking and I have to put my hands in stuff..like meatloaf and I have to hand mix the yuck meat. Other than that I sleep, eat, shower, breath, everything with it on! It is safer for me to wear it because if I take it off I will surely lose it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards