South Asian Weddings

ABDC

America's Best Dance Crew.Anyone watch it? I know I probably watch too much tv but I just recently saw it with the Bollywood challenge. These groups are amazing! They were able to take classical styles of Indian dancing and also mainstream dance styles and incorporate their own styles to perform and just bring it to the stage. Definitely impressed. And also impressed with how much attention Bollywood is getting from America. Ok- back to waiting for Monday to be over :)

Re: ABDC

• edited December 2011
    I've never seen it. I've got to say, though, when I saw your title I thought you'd mistyped ABCD and that the post would be about desi kids brought up here. :-)
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL i also misread and thought you were saying American Born Confused Desi hahaha The groups are amazing and DH loves the show, but I can't stand Lil Mama or Shane Sparks so I don't really enjoy watching the show haha
  • edited December 2011
    Haha -I think my kids will probably be American Born (super) Confused (half) Desi. :)I can't stand Lil Mama! Ugh - she's just so full of ____(enter opposite of class here).
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the heads up -- I had never heard of this show until your email and I was able to DVR this episode last night. It was super entertaining! Where do they get these judges, I mean seriously? Some of those crews did an awesome job incorporating the dance -- especially the bharatnatyam and kathak folks!
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea how she is qualified to judge a dance show.  She was a tween rapper with one "hit" single like 4 years ago.  I think the only one that's actually qualified to be a judge is JC.  Even Shane Sparks kinda sucks.  I know he's a choreographer, but after some of his craptastic routines on SYTYCD, I'm not a fan of his!
  • edited December 2011
    Lil Mama is a total has been. I also agree that JC is the only one with actual constructive criticism that helps the groups out for their future performances. To anyone who hasn't had the chance to view it- I think you can youtube it if you're interested. To see Kathak and Bharathanatyam interwoven into hiphop and freestyling routines is pretty amazing. I remember the very first time I saw something like that incorporated into mainstream. It was with MJ's Black & White video.
  • edited December 2011
    I Love ABDC!  So excited to see the Bollywood episode.  I think my favorites were the Bharatanatyam and the Giddha.  They really nailed the dance styles well into the group's regular dance styles.  I loved loved loved the fact that the Bharatanatyam group took off their shoes when they started the classical portion.  While I also liked the Kathak one, it just wasn't as good (great footwork but those chakars lacked control and no hand movement whereas the Bharatanatyam group did the footwork and handwork well) and they also incorporated some Bhangra into the routine which was a bit confusing... I was completely disappointed with the Garba piece because there was so much more of an opportunity to incorporate Garba into Sean Paul's "So Fine" mix, especially into the transitions.  Overall though, great episode and awesome to see Bollywood spreading. On another note, I love this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TAtElF-n0 It's a Bharatanatyam dance to Soulja Boy...it cracks me up each time I watch it...
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ha!  that is hilarious, lil miss!
  • edited December 2011
    I love how much attention Bollywood is now getting here with ABDC and SYTYCD amongst other shows.  It's so great to see!
  • edited December 2011
    After a little Youtube stalking I found out that it's UCSD's Sangam performance from 2008...Here's the full dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqscU32yBoEnur's Calabria starts at about 6 minutes and Soulja Boy starts at 7.  This whole dance however is amazing!  Beautifully done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards