African American Weddings

Would you get your Wedding Dress made?

I love the dresses that I found online but now that I know that they are Maggie's, I know that they are going to be more than I am willing to spend on a dress. Would you let someone try to make a replica?

Re: Would you get your Wedding Dress made?

• Lady RedrumLady Redrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would if I had seen the seamstresses work and she had experience doing gowns.  You can save alot that way. Also check out sample sales, Filene's Running of the Brides, Bridal consignment shops and Brides against Breast Cancer sales.
  • edited December 2011
     My sister had her dress made by an experienced seamstress and it was fabulous. Unfortunately the seamstress is older now and unable to sew anymore so I was out of luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I knew those dresses was Maggie dresses. I bought a maggie dress for my wedding and I love it. The place I got my dress has a section of sample dresses for sale. Maybe a store near you has something similar.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think I would get my dress made...too many variables involved.
  • braxtongirlbraxtongirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope Got my Maggie for $678 plus tax. Michelle! She just makes the best quality of dresses that I have seen out there. Because of corset back, no alterations need other than hem and bustle! that saves a bunch. Not motivated to work out either!
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, I would just spend the money. BTW they where beautiful dresses, specially #2.
    Mr. and Mrs. Jones est. 10/18/2008
  • edited December 2011
    My reception dress is a replica of a dress I saw online. The dress was identical when I got it back. No variables or complications involved. I was pleased with my dress. If you find the right person to do it for you then it is something to consider.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • FraggleRock10FraggleRock10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope. I bought a Maggie. I'm from NJ and went to Manhattan to get my dress from RKBRIDAL. They have gowns at discount prices. I saved $500.A lot of brides order from their "no frills" program at www.rkbridal.com. Check it out. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Hey try plussizebridal.com...They have really nice dresses on there at the very good price. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! When I first started looking for dresses, I fell in love Maggie's Dresses but not the price! LOL!! Now I have just fallen in Love all over again and didn't even know it was the same designer. I got to have one! LMAO! Just can't tell my Honey how much it costs. You only get married once right!
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The dress in my bio is a $1300 dress. The lowest I could get for it was $1007 EVERYWHERE! I was literally sick at paying $1000 for a dress I was going to wear once or twice so I asked about having a replica made. Found some ladies in TN who does it for a fraction of the cost AND they are part of the BBB.  Total cost for my dress: $460 for the dress and shipping. I saw samples of their work and you could not tell the difference between the real one and the replica.
  • edited December 2011
    Getting mine made.  Will let you know how it goes. 
  • edited December 2011
    Funny! I didn't read all of the posts before posting but am going with the seamstress in Brentwood TN as I am very familiar with her work and she has been around for years.  She is making a knock off of the Vivian Westwood dress from SATC for $500. I'll let you know how it goes.  Kinda nervous but have 1 year to find something else if I don't like it. If I don't like it, I'll try to sell it on craigslist or a consignment shop.Cicy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards