New York-Upstate

Tacky invite

I got an invite to a wedding this weekend and this poem was included: More than just kisses so far we've sharedOur home has been made with love and careMost things we need we’ve already gotLike a toaster and kettle, pans and potsA wishing well we thought would be great(but only if you wish to participate)A gift of money is placed in the wellThen make a wish … but do not tellOnce we’ve replaced the old with the newWe can look back and say it was thanks to you!And in return for your kindness we’re surethat one day soon you'll get what you wished for

Re: Tacky invite

• edited December 2011
    Am I the only one that thinks the first line sounds dirty??
  • edited December 2011
    yeah, I agree, sounds dirty.  The second line doesn't help.
    -- Check out my planning page: http://sites.google.com/site/flanshanwedding/ Introducing Dragonfly Designs & Events Specializing in custom invitations, stationery & event planning for all of life's special moments! Check us out on the web: www.designedbydragonfly.com
  • edited December 2011
    I agree. But I think the dirty line is actually more classy than asking for $$ in a wedding invite. Haha.
  • edited December 2011
    sounds naughty to me. and somewhat gift-grabby in general. and i was worried that our "we would much prefer your presence to your presents" on our website (not invite) was too forward!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    honestly, I did not even notice the first few lines--- not until the having a toaster, wanting a well for guests to fill with money that really got me. I did not even want my shower throwers to even really include registry info in the shower invites!
  • faith194faith194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my! DH and I have lived together for 5 years, owned our house for 2, and we still didn't put something as tacky(or anything remotely like that) in our wedding invite! DH's side of the family gave us cash, my side gave us gifts. . .We didn't mind at all---we just wanted their presence at our wedding. And shocking--some people didn't bring anything!!!! hehe
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - very tacky, especially since it is asking for money, wow. I'd be kind of mad if I received an invite like that. And I agree with pp, it does sound dirty at first :-P
  • edited December 2011
    This is also the second wedding for both of them....I find it funny they ask for money and then say they want to replace things. Why not just ask for the things you want to replace?Clearly my cousin has class with this invite!
  • edited December 2011
    That is one of the tackiest things I've ever read.
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I can say is "wow."
  • WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the fact that it a second wedding for each really has anything to do with it.  Tacky...rude even, yes.  I think sometimes people just don't get it, and unfortunately no one has taught them otherwise.  Sometimes I feel a little sad for people who get caught up in the wedding rather than being excited for the celebration of a new life together!  Sheesh! :-)
  • WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do have one other thought though...we're all sitting here complaining, but how many people on this board are putting out a card box/planter/birdcage, etc., etc.??  Isn't that asking for gifts also ?  I think that's tacky too.
  • edited December 2011
    no- a cardbox is not ASKING for gifts, as the gifts are already purchased/wrapped/signed/sealed and now need to be delivered. You are not telling your guests beforehand that there will be a cardbox and gift table- this serves as a place to put the gifts already brought. As for the original post.... I say bring a GIFT rather than a check haha :)
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. That first line if vom worthy and I agree why would they talk about replacing stuff if they say they don't need anything. And I disagree with WNY's statement as well.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    I disagree, a card box is exactly what pp said, a place to put a card you already brought with you so it doesn't get lost. If you put in your invite, please place a card in the box, then it would be asking for gifts.I think the fact that it's their second wedding each does have a lot to do with it. They are paying for the wedding themselves and I have a feeling this is their way of making sure that the costs are covered. It's a huge wedding with over 200 invited. I find that tacky for a second wedding. Especially when the 5 year old daughter of the bride is the maid of honor.
  • edited December 2011
    heres to hoping your cousin doesn't venture over here Keb!
  • edited December 2011
    Kristin - Haha, I'll only answer the original... I TOTALLY thought the first line was completely suggestive! I didn't see what you asked until after I read the whole thing... ...sure... for?
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah that was completely tacky...and dirty!  And that's Klassy with a K! And as far as the card box, I consider it a security measure.  I know several people who have had cards stolen at their wedding.  Saftey first!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG!!!!! SO RUDE!   and kinda raunchy- I bet their granny didn't like this!    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards