Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Jess the psychologist

Where did you go to school? What is your concentration? Do you teach? I'd love to teach some day, but I dont know if I want to go for a PhD or PsyD. Any opinions on the differences?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Jess the psychologist

• Options
    Butting in, but I gots the same questions.  I want to do clinical research in the MI/CD area.  PhD is pretty much a requirement I'm guessing?  Do you know how much it matters where you get your bachelor's degree from if you're going for a PhD, and does it make a huge difference in getting into a graduate program?
  • Options
    1) School of the fuucking hard knocks (aka, a private lutheran college in Moorhead, MN then IUPUI in Indianapolis for grad school. HARD CORE.) 2) beatin' biitches for fun! (aka, undergrad in psychology and sociology with a minor in religion and women's studies then to grad school for my MSW. Now and LICSW)3) I teach people the work on the skreet!!! (I teach through training on a number of different things and have been a presenter here and there at the local colleges.)4) decide what kind of work you want to do first, and go from there. Those are 2 very different pathways for seeming so similar.  
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Mocha, it really doesn't. If you're going to be in MN, you want an LAC, I would guess. It's really not THAT long of program and they are in high need.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I go to a small court reporting school.stenography.No way Jose!I haven't the slightest.  I'm in an associates program.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Fishy, you get more awesome every day. I want to teach at a college, but I didnt think I could do much without a PhD. I had a 3.8 in undergrad, but didnt get into any PhD programs. I'm applying for a MSCP program to start in the spring (after weddin stuff), they also have a PsyD in counseling. I'd rather do clinical, but clinical PhD is a super hard program to get into apparently!
  • Options
    Around here you can be an adjunct professor with a masters, depending on your experiencce and education. Teaching has always been a passion of mine and I'm fortunate I get to do that as part of my job as well as being able to do it on the side. What do you want to do in the long run? Teach? counsel? research?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    jessjo is a nutbar.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    a nutbar with chocolate or a nutbar with carmel. Answer carefully, this is important.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Sometimes you feel like a nut....Anyway, I want to work in a hospital or police department, not really private practice, and teach. If I had to choose one, I would want to teach.
  • Options
    I was thinking of going to Metro State for a bachelors and do a minor in CD counseling, enough to get my LADC.  I want to try and do the U of M for grad school, less moving around and all.  Although FI wouldn't mind moving, he'd need to get a new plumber's license and uprooting the household for grad school seems like a PITA.
  • Options
    I always 'borrow' almond joys from my boss' desk at work. (my boss is my mom...)
  • Options
    Same boat mocha. FI could work anywhere, hes an auto mechanic, but he would lose his seniority. And we just moved and DONT want to do it again. Luckily, there are tons of school in downtown Pittsburgh, so I have lots of options.
  • Options
    I went to Anderson University in South Carolina. My concentration was Interior Design. I didn't finish school though...and I think (maybe) I want to go back and get a degree in teaching.
  • Options
    Yeah, the best thing I can tell ya, is to see what your state will reimburse third party before spending a whole lot of money on a degree that you won't be able to get hired with. And as for teaching, look in your area and see where they are lacking. If that's what you want to do, research it, see what's out there for jobs, and go for it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Is it possible for someone who is psychologically unstable, like Jessjo, to dish out advice?  Lets be serious here, she is not someone who should advise anyone on psychological issues.   
  • Options
    Yep, all his seniority would disappear.  Though if he gets an embassy job like he talks about trying to get, I wouldn't mind studying abroad for a bit.
  • Options
    T's sister who has serious psychological problems was going to be a psychologist until she switched over to teaching (also a scary thought).
  • Options
    I went to Texas A&M Galveston and studied maritime administration. I don't teach but have thought about it. No idea on the last - sorry I'm no help
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I havne't been around at all today so am uncertain of jessjo's psychological state presently. i just know what I know and that's what I know. i find that people who arent ready for academic programs get weeded out pretty quickly. If she's isn't ready, i'll leave it for admissions and her future professors to figure it out. 

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    there were some CRAZY BIITCHES in my grad school concentration. The profs forced them out before the first half of the semester was over.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I have been very successful in my schooling. Apparently I'm doing something right. But thanks for your concern, E.
  • Options
    Someone should've forced T's sister out of psychology.
  • Options
    DH has a PhD in Cognitive/Experimental Psych.  He's currently doing post doc research at an addiction center and teaching a night class at another school.If you have any questions, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to answer them.  I can even force him to sign in on his account...he made one when he made our crappy wedding website for our guests.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    PS - not to say that he did a crappy job with our website, but that tk one is just crappy in general.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    jessjo is a nutbar.She's no jesslikewhoa.
  • Options
    Mandy never answered...I'm hoping with caramel. Fische?
  • Options
    Roxy - Your FI is a cutie! (I'm assuming that's him?)
  • Options
    Wow, you guys are all so smart!I'm going to crawl back in my hole.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Haha yes, thats Tyler. Thankyou!
  • Options
    What about 'Mel the psychologist'? haha. Anyway, I'm just going to jump in and answer too: I taught for awhile, and now am not- but intend to do so again soon. I'm doing my PhD, and I think that it's wise to go for a PhD over a D psych simply because it's a slightly higher qualification and for not much more effort, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards