Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Bride in Combat Boots?

I am an active duty military female and I wanted to add some military into the wedding ceremony but nothing to blatant.  Would it be cheesy to wear combat boots for the ceremony itself and then change into high heels for the reception?  I'd like to buy some new black concoran combat boots but not sure if it'll go too good with my dress.  Any opinions?  I know after doing a google search for other brides doing the same thing I came upon a website that mentioned another bride wearing combat boots for her ceremony and then making it a big thing when changing into her high heels for the reception that indicated her struggle as a single parent was now over as she was married and had a partner to help her out.  This kinda applies to me as well as I'm a single parent of three children but that wasn't the reason for my wearing combat boots.  And if I wear combat boots should the bridesmaids do the same?  Even if they aren't military?

Re: Bride in Combat Boots?

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    You can do whatever you want, since it's your wedding, but I'm personally not a fan on informal shoes with probably the most formal dress you'll ever wear.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Ditto jemmini6.  Would you wear high heels with your fatigues?  Combat boots with your wedding dress are just as inappropriate.
  • Options
    Keep in mind, if you require your bridesmaids to wear combat boots, you have to pay for them.

• Options
    It feels a little out of place.  I think they make cake toppers wearing army uniforms, what about something more subtle like that?
  • Options
    No sorry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In the end its really up to you and what you want, there is no wrong asnwer for your wedding. I wouldn't suggest wearing them for the ceremony based on just how heavy they are how its going to make you walk less formally per se in your dress, kinda hard to feel beautiful ultra feminine I would think with those on. Maybe wear them just for some pictures? And I wouldn't make your bridesmaids wear them, instead find another way to show your military background like a hair piece or piece of jewelry that relates to the military like getting the girls dogtags or something, they would appreciate it more than ruining their beautiful dresses with big clunky shoes
  • Options
    As PPs have said, you can obviously do whatever you want, but wearing informal shoes with a formal gown is pretty much the definition of tacky.  (NB: If you're wearing a very informal dress, like a white sundress or something, my opinion would change.)  There are any number of other ways you could incorporate your military service into the ceremony, from simply wearing your dress uniform, to incorporating the colors of your dress uniform into your gown/bouquet.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do the boots.  Can you attached the Army insignia to your bouquet?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_bride-in-combat-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:2aad9129-ddf2-43ee-8125-79d4a29c9e53Post:f167b297-bc96-44a9-b106-41ce57c7ddc1">Re: Bride in Combat Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't do the boots.  Can you attached the Army insignia to your bouquet?
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Or maybe wrap the bouquet with your dog tags?

You can do whatever you want for your own shoes ... but I personally think it would look awful to be in this delicate pretty white dress clunking down the aisle in bulky black boots (I also can't stand seeing brides wearing things like sneakers, Ugg boots, or cheap flip flops, so there's that).

And whatever you decide to do for your own feet, I'd leave your BMs out of it and let them wear shoes that actually match the formality of the dress.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    I'm indifferent to informal shoes with a wedding gown. I would be more concerned about the hem of your gown being too long or too short for one pair of shoes you want to wear. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_bride-in-combat-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:2aad9129-ddf2-43ee-8125-79d4a29c9e53Post:ef0e2980-2ef2-4c00-9880-54af28eed8ee">Re: Bride in Combat Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Your Muddah wore Army shoes!" used to be a playground insult.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>To which my oldest DD ALWAYS replied, "Wanna make something of it?"  I mentioned that at my retirement luncheon.

</div>
  • Options
    OP, after 26 years in the service myself, this is my 21st day as a civilian.  It is your choice, but I just don't see this as a classy tie in with your career.  I do understand you wanting something.  I had a garter custom made by a friend (used a new dew rag) and she also found some ivory colored "lace" kind of stuff to put with it.  Some OD green ribbon and I was quite happy with it.

I do like the dog tags on your bouquet, I think that would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    Like Sptizer said, why don't you take a few fun photos with them on? I got married right after a hurricane and got a great pair of Hunter rain boots in our wedding color. If it had rained I planned to wear them for a photo op, but wouldn't have thought to wear them down the aisle. This is a little different because it's a huge part of who you are, and so is your wedding day, and there are a lot of great alternatives. Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_bride-in-combat-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:2aad9129-ddf2-43ee-8125-79d4a29c9e53Post:801e55ed-e6fd-4935-bdf9-68098fe8ccd1">Re:Bride in Combat Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly,I'm a military brat and I would never in a million years connect a bride in combat boots to the wedding feeling more military. If you want to wear them because they're comfy and you like them, then go for it, but I don't think it's going to give the impression/effect you're going for, especially since combat boots aren't even part of the formal uniform IN the military. And please don't make your BMs wear combat boots. That will honesty just be cheesy and look weird, and be really expensive for you, since you will have to pay for all of them.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  In short - no. No no no.  My parents are both retired Army officers and I can't imagine that conveying the message you think it will.  Its your wedding and I appreciate the sentiment but I think there's a better way to do it - I like the idea of working with the dog tags since I think they have more meaning in the military than do the boots.

Ultimately up to you.....but you don't want the focus of your ceremony to be your shoes do you?
  • Options
    I'm active-duty military as well (have been for 8 years).  It's a huge part of my life, as I love what I do and am extremely proud of it, but it was not represented at all in our wedding.  

I think informal shoes with a wedding dress is a little off.  I think if you want to take a few pictures with boots, then that's cool.  I mean, I wouldn't ever wear my flying boots with a formal dress, so I don't know why I would do it for a wedding.  And I wouldn't wear my boots to church, so why would I wear them to a religious ceremony?

There are other ways to incorporate your military service into your wedding if you want to.  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I totally missed the part about possibly have the bridesmaids wear them - PLEASE DO  NOT DO THAT!!!!
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_bride-in-combat-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:2aad9129-ddf2-43ee-8125-79d4a29c9e53Post:ef0e2980-2ef2-4c00-9880-54af28eed8ee">Re: Bride in Combat Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Your Muddah wore Army shoes!" used to be a playground insult.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought, too!
  • Options
    I've seen it done in a cute way with cowboy boots, but combat boots might be a little more harsh.

Are there any badges or medals you could pin to a sash that you wear around your waist? Might be more subtle. (Sorry, I know very little about the army so if that's impossible, I apologize.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I am wearing my cowboy"girl" boots throughout my wedding and reception.....Since they are new and still bother my feet I bought a pair of blue flats that match the color of my wedding....I say wear what you want, no one else is prob going to even see them anyways and you will know that they are there. 
    Cynthia Finch
  • Options
    UberBizUberBiz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Chances are the dress will cover your feet during the ceremony anyway. I have no qualms about wearing "informal" shoes with formal wear, especially if you are going to get the shiny black ones instead of the tan ones we all wear (or the Army does, you didn't mention what branch you're in).

As for those who mentioned "your mama wears combat boots," that's not really an insult in this day and age. My daughter proudly wears her pink camo shirt that says "My mom wears combat boots."

If you feel that it's symbolic enough to you, and your fiance, to wear boots underneath your wedding dress, I say go for it. It's your day :) Just don't make your BM's wear them, lol. I think the juxtoposition between your past/present life in the military and your future life with your new husband is pretty cool.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_bride-in-combat-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:2aad9129-ddf2-43ee-8125-79d4a29c9e53Post:af7d2c2f-4f51-49f8-a171-b4f35b04cd27">Re: Bride in Combat Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE] As for those who mentioned "your mama wears combat boots," that's not really an insult in this day and age. My daughter proudly wears her pink camo shirt that says "My mom wears combat boots." Posted by UberBiz[/QUOTE]

I think it's interesting that "your mother wears combat boots" has the complete opposite meaning now that it did back in the day.  Back then, there were very few women in the military, and those who were did not wear combat boots, because they were not assigned those jobs.  Women have made great strides over the years, and what used to be an insult is now a source of pride.
  • Options
    In agreement with all the nos above, for most of the same reasons. But also. don't you want to "glide" or "float" or "walk in some way that appears graceful and beautiful"? Having never worn combat boots myself, I cannot speak to this with any authority, but I can't imagine that anything with the word combat in the name would give you that affect... 
    White Knot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 invitedimage
    118 accept with pleasureimage
    35 decline with regretsimage
    4 are driving me crazyimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    Its your wedding so wear whatever you want, but generally a bride shouldnt wear combat boots.. especially if its a formal wedding...
  • Options
    hellebhelleb member
    I think you should wear whatever you like for YOUR wedding day.  I personally wouldn't have the BMs wear them bc I think it will lose more meaning.  I don't think many people will notice but if that is something you want to know yourself then great.  I was once a BM where I had to purchase cow"girl" boots and it was something that I still am irritated about bc I only wore them once and they were $130.... so be careful about what you make them do.

I really like the dog tags on the bouquet or the camo garter.  If you do the garter toss you could think of that as a "passing off all the strain" type of event, just like the changing of the boots to heels.
  • Options
    lgoin1lgoin1 member
    I think it sounds like a beautiful idea.  I'm a bit more off-beat, and you have a very serious reason for wearing them.  Is your dress long?  You could hide them until you switch.  Everyone will get a kick out of it.  I wouldn't recommend the bridesmaids though.  That would get expensive.  Good luck, and remember: it's your wedding, you can do whatever you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just assuming (judging from all the females that I know who are in the army) that you might not be a frilly dress girly girl type..the boots would probably make you feel more comfortable, and more you. Plus, most people aren't going to notice unless you make it known with a shoe picture, or if you decide to do a garter. It's your wedding, I say go for it! This is the most important day of your life...while you don't wanna look back and say "I wish I hadn't done that," you equally don't want to look back and say "I wish I had done that...it would've been so cool."
  • Options
    I'm just assuming (judging from all the females that I know who are in the army) that you might not be a frilly dress girly girl type..the boots would probably make you feel more comfortable, and more you. Plus, most people aren't going to notice unless you make it known with a shoe picture, or if you decide to do a garter. It's your wedding, I say go for it! This is the most important day of your life...while you don't wanna look back and say "I wish I hadn't done that," you equally don't want to look back and say "I wish I had done that...it would've been so cool."
  • Options
    I would like to chime in on the question being that I am going to be a military bride in a few years (my b/f is in the military now). I will not be wearing the boots to the ceremony. I like my vision of being able to glide down the aisle and look/feel graceful. My b/f did think it would be so cool if I wore a pair of the combat boots under my dress for pre ceremony photos and what I do for the reception is completely up to me. I will be incorporating his dog tags that he gave me in the wrap on my bouquet and the colors touch on the military aspect of our life (the "tiffany blue"/yellow/ and white are my colors). Ultimately, its your wedding, do what makes you feel special and unique. Yes I agree that the combat boots under the wedding dress is truly non formal at a very formal event but it is a very unique thing to do and if you or your groom find it special (my groom thinks its special) then why not do it. 
  • Options
    If you want to incorporate military into your wedding...get married in your full dress uniform. Don't try to "incorporate" the boots with a dress. If your fiancé is military, have him wear his uniform. Allow your guests to wear theirs. Don't wear combat boots with a formal wedding gown.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards