Latino Weddings

Help! Hispanics traditions Not Catholic!

My questions are as follows..

DF and I are mexican americans.

We both want to do the lasso and coin wedding ceremony

BUT we are both Christains

Is it possible to do these traditions and not be catholic.

We see it as a part of or culture but not our religion what do u think?

and the lasso doesnt have to be  a rosary am i correct?

Any websites to verify this is appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Rosetta and Raul (cant find answers anywhere plz help)

Also whats the veil thing that the lasso goes on top of represent?

Re: Help! Hispanics traditions Not Catholic!

• virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I replied in the other thread....
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see why you cannot do them. The rosary is catholic, but the arras are not, and the lazo does not have to be a rosary. my FBILl and my cunada got married in a catholic ceremony where multiple couples were married and they used a lazo but it was not a rosary...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    HI =D my family and I are Mexican and Christians.  My sister and her husband (fiance @ the time) were struggling with these traditions also.  They did the lasso, but it was a beatiful corded rope my tia made for them.  The coins and the bag were also given to them by his side of the family.  I'm not sure where you are getting married, but my sister got married in a garden, not in church.  Hope this helps some! =)
  • edited December 2011
    lots of mexican traditions were never christian to begin with. spanish missionaries couldn't get the indigenous people to stop what they were doing, so they were incorporated and christianized.

with a few tweeks here and there, you should have no problem making them as non denominational as possible.

http://www.haciendatresrios.com/weddings-and-honeymoons/mexican-wedding-traditions/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/296208/mexican_wedding_traditions.html?cat=41
  • edited December 2011
    It's your wedding, I would say do what makes you happy!
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • roselyromeroroselyromero member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The lazo and coins are a hispanic tradition, not a catholic tradition. I'm christian as well and my sisters got married in a church and used both those elements. I'm planning my wedding and I want to have the lazo and coins as well (mine is going to be an outdoor wedding). I have also been to a Caucasian Catholic wedding and they didn't use either. You can do online and find the lazo without the rosary. Some Mexican stores may have them too. But like someone else said its you and your fiance's wedding. Use the traditions you want and make it a special day for both of you.
  • KarinaK10KarinaK10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_hispanics-traditions-not-catholic-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:9ae57ea9-08ae-4692-af5a-533ce89e54a8Post:61cba0d8-0b59-4630-95ea-4d742559d4d6">Re: Help! Hispanics traditions Not Catholic!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The lazo and coins are a hispanic tradition, not a catholic tradition. I'm christian as well and my sisters got married in a church and used both those elements. I'm planning my wedding and I want to have the lazo and coins as well (mine is going to be an outdoor wedding). I have also been to a Caucasian Catholic wedding and they didn't use either. You can do online and find the lazo without the rosary. Some Mexican stores may have them too. But like someone else said its you and your fiance's wedding. Use the traditions you want and make it a special day for both of you.
    Posted by roselyromero[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Well said! Same for the FI and me. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards