Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Irish / Italian Wedding

Does anyone know of any fun or interesting traditions regarding Irish or Italian weddings.  I am Irish and FI is Italian.

Re: Irish / Italian Wedding

• There are a lot of Celtic things to do, but a lot of them are actually Scottish (kilts, for example, although a lot of Irish brides have the male side of the wedding party wear them, but the tartans are by county, not by family, like the Scots.) Bagpipes are Scottish, too.  Some brides use the Celtic knots, and have them embroidered in the hem of their gown (most of the Scottish weddings I've been to have the bride having embroidered into the bodice of her gown).    Just be careful of what the knot tells you about Irish traditions, again, they're mostly Scottish. I've been trying to get a Celtic Weddings board going, but the knot gods don't seem to understand it.  :-P 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • claughter rings cookie bar displayMaybe just my irish family but irish coffee at teh reception
  • I think that's spelled Claddagh.  (pronounced Kladdah)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Dang.  And I hit post now too soon. The Claddagh may of Spanish Origin, as there is a very similar symbol used from before the Irish started using theirs. 
  • Yes I spelled it wrong . But it is an irish tradition now.
  • we're giving the five jordan almonds as a favor since that's big with FI's italian family and having an assortment of italian pastries in addition to the wedding cake (napoleans, cannoli, tiramisu, etc.)
  • Yes, jumping the broom is most closely associated with African American tradition by the general public, but it's actually older, as Stage said--it's Pagan, and Welsh (from what I've read), therefore many claim it as "Celtic." 
  • handfast4me:The Celtic tribes were present in: Ireland Scotland Wales England Spain France(Gual) Hungary Bulgaria (Tharace)It is almost impossible to distinguish between traditions that are considered Irish vs those considered to be Scottish. Celtic can be either Scottish or Irish and, often times, both. Please stop "correcting" people, especially because we are not Irish or Scottish (most of us) we are American or Canadian with Irish or Scottish heritages. We're mutts, just like the ancient Celtic tribes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Celtic *traditions* can be either Scottish or Irish and, often times, both.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Good thing I was away for the weekend at the Long's Peak Scottish/Irish Festival, where I was being sworn in as Secretary for my Scottish Clan (International Society), and missed all the hoopla here.  HAH! Thanks, Stage, for backing me up.  I just want folks to realize that what they call Irish alone (including what's on the knot) is sometimes not really Irish ALONE.  And, truth be told, the Bagpipes actually originated in the middle east.  As you can see in my other posts over the past 2 years I usually only answer what's asked, and I mentioned in an earlier post that Celtic consists of Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and others.  I have lots of other information, but I've been ridiculed for giving too much info, too.  We get the same posts over an over, and so I've culled my answers down to about 3 words.  :-)   But I don't care, because DH is the most handsome man in a kilt EVAH. 
  • And I should have added--and he's not even Scottish, but of Ukrainian descent.  He wears it because he's married in my Clan. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards